Synthetic Oil and the Hemi Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
^^^^^This.

That's why I asked you what size, cause if a Motorcraft "S" series fits it like most Chryslers, that would be your first and best choice to try IMO.

In your case apparently the FL-820s, in my case it was the FL-400s that worked miracles on my Jeep. I have found a couple others since then that also worked, but I would start with the FL-820s.

Thanks again. Just happen to have 2 FL820S filters in my garage for a GT500 I recently sold.

Please let us know how the Motorcraft works for you. BTW, congrats on the Challenger, amazing car! How are you liking it?

Taking a second Look At Fram's Specs for their "equivalent" Filters they should be fairly interchangeable. Same thread pitch, Similar bypass setting PSI, Similar Diameter gaskets, etc.

Fram PH2 - FL 820(s), MO-899 "equivalent"

Fram PH10060 - MO-339 "equivalent"

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I too think a different filter may fix this. What size does it take? I have had a lot of issues with this on my old Jeep so I have some ideas depending on size.

The MOPAR Part Number for the Factory Filter is MO-339

you sure? I think that's for the old 3.5 V6(pre-Pentastar)... the Hemi should be MO-899, which Crosses to (amongst others) Motorcraft fl 820s, and Fram PH2 (according to the Fram Catalog anyways..)

I only know that b/c i looked it up for my Brother when he bought a '13 Hemi Challenger(R/T Blacktop) and that look up worked well for him, having a few fl820s's around for his Mustangs.

You sir are correct. The filter for my 2014 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi is the MO-339. Since the engine is the same, I mistakenly assumed the filter was the same. The correct filter (for 2015 Challenger), as you said, is MO-899. I called the dealer parts department to be sure on both filter numbers. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What you need is a high flow filter like the NAPA Platinum. PFL 47899

By the way, you're not using Mobil 1 oil are you?

Thanks Mer, My Ranger 4.0 had a cold start-up tick, Put on a Platinum , Tick no more ! Flow rate must have been the trick .

crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
I cut open a mopar filter recently and I think there are many filters out there that are better. I'd switch filters to start.

Good idea. Do you have any recommendations?

The Fram Ultra. Available at WM for about $8-$9. It has dual layer synthetic media that is wire backed. It has excellent filtration specs as well and can be ran for up too a 15k mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Please let us know how the Motorcraft works for you. BTW, congrats on the Challenger, amazing car! How are you liking it?

Loving it so far. Interestingly, I had a 2001 Ram 2500 since new that I recently traded on a new 2014 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi and the ZF 8 Spd Auto. Liked it so much that I bought the 2015 Challenger with the same engine and transmission combination. I plan to change out the factory oil and filters on both vehicles before they hit 1K miles.

Please don't tell me it's because it doesn't meet the Chrysler certification. We all know why it doesn't and its not because it's an inferior oil.

Have the dealer change the factory fill oil and install a new OEM filter to see if the sound goes away.

Or at least file a warranty complaint and get a new oil filter out of it.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Have the dealer change the factory fill oil and install a new OEM filter to see if the sound goes away.

Or at least file a warranty complaint and get a new oil filter out of it.

Filing a warranty complaint will not work. The dealer already told me that start up clatter was normal for these engines. I think, as others here have said that the filter may be the problem. I also think that the right oil might have an impact as well. That is why I initiated this thread to see if others had solved the problem with a specific type of oil. I generally change the oil and filter in my cars and trucks myself. Have had bad experiences at many dealers before. If I do it, I know it will be done correctly.

Last edited:
Having had many hemi trucks go thru our family I can tell you from experience that some Hemi engines tick and some don't. Oil choice has little to do with it since from noise tends to come from the injectors.
The vvt and mds are oil actuated and are unaffected in the real world using different grades and brands.
Having had a couple that did tick,which are the highest mile ones owned by my family I can say without a doubt that hemi tick is harmless and doesn't affect longevity whatsoever.
The hemi is a fantastic,long lasting engine. We've got examples in our family fleet with in excess of 300k and never had a valve cover off. They consume no oil between changes and run as good as new.
The engines are sound. I wish the 4x4s front ends were as durable but hey,with high miles something's gotta give somewhere right.
Hemi tick is primarily the injector pulse,and no oil related in most cases.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Please don't tell me it's because it doesn't meet the Chrysler certification. We all know why it doesn't and its not because it's an inferior oil.

No I mentioned Mobil 1 because of this. Usually when somebody is experiencing a weird noise, they're either driving their car in the middle of the bermuda triangle, or they've got Mobil 1 in their engine.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg

No I mentioned Mobil 1 because of this. Usually when somebody is experiencing a weird noise, they're either driving their car in the middle of the bermuda triangle, or they've got Mobil 1 in their engine.
grin2.gif

You can find results from typing engine noise with Pennzoil/Rotella/ etc etc. Most people on this site aren't really car people. I'll be honest, most here are into their oil because it's EASY. These "experts" who think they hear "piston slap" or their "rods making more noise" because they changed from brand A to brand B couldn't change a throwout bearing if their life depended on it. (Or know what one is without googling it) The people making vast claims about one brand or another have such little credibility yet it gets on the internet and people believe it.

This isn't directed to you OP but the handful of absurdly paranoid people on here.

We have a hemi with 186k on it. It has a lifter knock when cold. Lasts about 30 sec. or so. 5-20 conventional since new. I usually use AC Delco filters on it because there cheap. The tick has been there for about 50-75k miles. But it's getting louder. After its run for a little bit, it goes away completely. Has used about 2 qts per 5k oci pretty much since new.

Otherwise it's been almost flawless. Clean the throttle plate every once in awhile. Put an idler pulley on it, and changed the plugs once at 94k miles. Been a good truck, just likes to drink.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Having had many hemi trucks go thru our family I can tell you from experience that some Hemi engines tick and some don't. Oil choice has little to do with it since from noise tends to come from the injectors.
The vvt and mds are oil actuated and are unaffected in the real world using different grades and brands.
Having had a couple that did tick,which are the highest mile ones owned by my family I can say without a doubt that hemi tick is harmless and doesn't affect longevity whatsoever.
The hemi is a fantastic,long lasting engine. We've got examples in our family fleet with in excess of 300k and never had a valve cover off. They consume no oil between changes and run as good as new.
The engines are sound. I wish the 4x4s front ends were as durable but hey,with high miles something's gotta give somewhere right.
Hemi tick is primarily the injector pulse,and no oil related in most cases.

Encouraging but I know the difference between injector noise and lifter clatter. My car clatters briefly during cold starts after sitting for more than 2 days and not otherwise. I do not think injector noise or pulse would cause this issue.

Last edited:
K. Whatever man. We've had hemi trucks in our family since 04,and currently there is an 08,a 2010,a2012 and a 2014 in our familial stable,in ram trucks and an 06 rt charger so I do have quite a bit of experience with the 5.7l engine and its capabilities over many hundreds of thousands of miles.
If it does clatter then get out and blow it up so warranty will replace it,otherwise you'll be stuck with a clattery engine for 350000 miles or til you sell it.
My dads 2014 was noisy when new but it was purchased last February so winter was in full effect.
Anyways it's been my experience that noisy or not the hemi is a very long lasting reliable engine,but get whatever concerns you have documented by the dealer just in case.
We've never had an engine problem in any of our hemi engines. The front ends though seem to need complete replacement at or around 200000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
K. Whatever man. We've had hemi trucks in our family since 04,and currently there is an 08,a 2010,a2012 and a 2014 in our familial stable,in ram trucks and an 06 rt charger so I do have quite a bit of experience with the 5.7l engine and its capabilities over many hundreds of thousands of miles.
If it does clatter then get out and blow it up so warranty will replace it,otherwise you'll be stuck with a clattery engine for 350000 miles or til you sell it.
My dads 2014 was noisy when new but it was purchased last February so winter was in full effect.
Anyways it's been my experience that noisy or not the hemi is a very long lasting reliable engine,but get whatever concerns you have documented by the dealer just in case.
We've never had an engine problem in any of our hemi engines. The front ends though seem to need complete replacement at or around 200000 miles.

Clevy: I appreciate your inputs and experience. I have no doubt that the 5.7L Hemi is strong and durable. However, I have never had an engine of any kind (and I have owned over 80 vehicles in my life)clatter on start up. My 2014 Ram with the 5.7L does not make a sound on start up (at least not a clattering sound)no matter how long it sits. I want to fix it if on the Challenger if I can. If not, then I will live with it or trade it. I was hoping it might be an oil issue since the factory fill is not full synthetic. Thus the reason for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back