Genuine Toyota Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Perhaps the Toyota filter is manufactured by the cheapest manufacturer to a low price point and minimum spec level to maximize the profit of the car company.

Doubt that.

You don't see anything else from Toyota value engineered down to meet its minimum service life.

If they did, the Camry would turn into a Chrysler 200.

I'm sure the OEM filter meets Toyota's intent for the part.

Maybe you have been reading too much marketing hype on the value of "ultra" filtration from commercial oil filter manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: David1

If the Tough Gaurd is nice and clean and the Toyota is FULL of DIRT and SLUDGE then that would mean the Toyota Filter did its Job ...

If both of those filters were used on the same dirty engine, the TG would have caught more crud because it's efficiency (99% @ 20 microns) is much better than the Denso Toyota filter (51% @ 20 microns).

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i heard the toyota guy never bowed down on US soil

they're supposedly all about honor and bowing, so i guess that's a huge insult to not bow on US soil in their culture

do they really hate us but just love our money?
So when's the last time a GM ignition switch designer bowed to anyone?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
No, someone just said the toyota guy bowed down on every countries soil except for ours which I found surprising. I don't care for bowing but if he did it everywhere except for here in the good ole USA, that says something.

This is an oil filter thread, not a discussion on cultural protocol.
I agree. What does the OP claim the circumstance is that would have caused the gentleman to be required to bow? Sounds like a tr0ll.

No, someone just said the toyota guy bowed down on every countries soil except for ours which I found surprising. I don't care for bowing but if he did it everywhere except for here in the good ole USA, that says something.
The only "someone" I can find who said that, jackwagon, is YOU.

I have a Camry with over 300K and another one with 210K mostly on Pure One's and with no engine or transmission work other than normal maintenance. Why would Toyota build that kind of durability into a product and then sell a poor quality oil filter for it?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If the Tough Gaurd is nice and clean and the Toyota is FULL of DIRT and SLUDGE then that would mean the Toyota Filter did its Job ...

If both of those filters were used on the same dirty engine, the TG would have caught more crud because it's efficiency (99% @ 20 microns) is much better than the Denso Toyota filter (51% @ 20 microns).

Not if the plugged FRAM TG went into bypass 2/3 of the way through the OCI.

100% of the crud would be cycling through the engine at that point.

All filters have a finite capacity and there is a capacity assumption in every filter design.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Not if the plugged FRAM TG went into bypass 2/3 of the way through the OCI.

100% of the crud would be cycling through the engine at that point.

All filters have a finite capacity and there is a capacity assumption in every filter design.

Why should that matter to you ... since you always claimed that having big tears in the media (ie, always bypassing dirty oil) from the first start-up shouldn't hurt anything at all. LOL

If an engine is super sludged up, almost any filter is going to plug up and go into bypass with not much use time on it.

And it's not just Toyota, it is Honda as well.

One gets the impression that despite numerous, lengthy and vigorous protests to the contrary, the OEM Toyota (and Honda) filters are just fine.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I have a Camry with over 300K and another one with 210K mostly on Pure One's and with no engine or transmission work other than normal maintenance. Why would Toyota build that kind of durability into a product and then sell a poor quality oil filter for it?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
David1:

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

How is a filter with such low efficiency going to be a better filter?

The Toyota TRD filters I use are 98% efficient at 20 microns.

Maybe Amsoil should update their 2011 test results (no surprise, I guess, that an Amsoil test has the Amsoil filter showing the best results).

TRDSpinOn3_27SEP13_zps1d83f1ed.jpg

HTH

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

The Toyota TRD filters I use are 98% efficient at 20 microns.

The TRD filters are not the same as the Denso filters that the Amsoil chart is referring to.

Quote:
....The Toyota TRD filters I use are 98% efficient at 20 microns......

That's good information, and the TRD is much more efficient than the Denso oem. However the Amsoil ISO test is specifically comparing the efficiency of 'some oem' filters. When one googles 'Toyota oem filters' the first entry shows the Denso made oem type in the test. The TRD is not to be seen on the first entry oem oil filter page. And my 'guess' is the Toyota oem from the dealer being referenced in the thread and thus the Amsoil graph, far outsells the TRD filter line.

And if not for the Amsoil test, the ISO efficiency of the filters shown would not have been known, as mostly that information is proprietary. Sure it makes the Amsoil filter look good, but it also provides some good information. And results from Ford, GM and Chrysler oem are very respectable. Toyota and Honda, not so much.

I bought some Denso branded filters, no end caps design, in my three sizes, like the Toyota version, but they state 2 ply filter media and they have the red silicone adbv. About $3. Clean inside with plastic cover over base, a pinhole in the plastic to let air pressure out. Looks just like the Toyota Denso in every way except probably is an upgrade in features. They state "efficient paper", in a conservative approach I guess, relying on their name for trust. I bought a bunch of them to save on shipping so this will be the main one for some years ahead. I'm not worried about the tearing or other quality issues with these.

Why should that matter to you ... since you always claimed that having big tears in the media (ie, always bypassing dirty oil) from the first start-up shouldn't hurt anything at all. LOL

I've never said that at all.

I've just encouraged forum members to not overreact about the Purolator tear issue.

I felt the forum needed a voice of reason to offset the Chicken Littles trying to capitalize on Purolator's lost focus on superior quality and high value through their takeover by MANN+HUMMEL.

Certainly, whatever vendetta you have against Purolator should be satisfied by now.

But your work never ends, does it.

This just lets you branch out now and work hard on discrediting OEM filters and Wix.

No rest for you until a FRAM Ultra is on every vehicle everywhere.

I've just encouraged forum members to not overreact about the Purolator tear issue.

I felt the forum needed a voice of reason to offset the Chicken Littles trying to capitalize on Purolator's lost focus on superior quality and high value through their takeover by MANN+HUMMEL.

Certainly, whatever vendetta you have against Purolator should be satisfied by now.

This just lets you branch out now and work hard on discrediting OEM filters and Wix.

How exactly do you suggest people go about not overreacting to these torn filters? Use them anyway? There isn't a gray area between using them or not using them.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

How exactly do you suggest people go about not overreacting to these torn filters? Use them anyway? There isn't a gray area between using them or not using them.

I personally ran the Purolators that were installed to a normal OCI and then I changed them.

I also used the Purolator filters I had on hand.

Taking off a Purolator before the end of the OCI or throwing a new oil filter away was irrational; but members were and are doing that spurred on by the hyperbole by the many, many, many posts warning of the "horrible" problem.

I personally ran the Purolators that were installed to a normal OCI and then I changed them.

Taking off a Purolator before the end of the OCI or throwing a new oil filter away was irrational; but members were and are doing that spurred on by the hyperbole by the many, many, many posts warning of the "horrible" problem.

Using a known defective product is irrational. Why is it such an issue for you that others did not?

You're a really funny type of guy. Very good at talking out of both sides of you mouth, and not seeing reality very clearly. Yeah, everyone knows I have a "vendetta" against Purolator ... especially since I was one of the guys who raved how great they were before the tearing issue started - LoL, such a funny guy.

You and Rain Man still don't get that people on this board say what is good and not so good, but for some reason even members who focus on that and say that way more than I do don't get any flack from you. I guess you have a vendetta towards me, that's the only conclusion I can come up with. Funny guy you are.

Dude, people can make up their OWN minds and do what THEY want. Why should you be so concerned how people conduct their OWN life. Has anyone gotten upset with you because you still use Purolators? They could care less what you do. You should do the same.

Oh, and BTW ... I did an oil change on the Nissan Altima yesterday. Removed an Ultra and put on a PureOne that I had in my stash! What do you think of that "Mr. Try to Run Everyone's Life"?

A filter with low efficiency gives the best oil flow i dont see toyota and honda engines blowing up so fast due to the low efficiency in their oil filters. As a certified engine builder i truly believe oil flow is the most important thing when it comes to filters because dirty oil lubes better than no oil.

If a filter filters really really well it has to have more restriction no matter what they say its sort of a no brainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back