Looking For Economical Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look at a Subaru Impreza compact hatch, about $20K in mid level trim. It has low depreciation, average insurance costs, high reliability, reasonable FE, is very safe, and has AWD for NH winters. Consumer reports rates it their top compact car. The new '15 Legacy is a really nice midsize AWD sedan, 22 in base and 25K in mid-level trim, CR top mid-size. Conventional engines in both.

If you want something really cheap and economical in a 2wd, look at the Ford Fiesta 5 speed, around 14-16K. With the 1.6 engine, it averages 35-40mpg plus has a plain radio instead of the annoying Ford infotainment system. Great handing too.

Another good choice is the Honda Fit with lots of interior cargo versatility (room for 2 bikes inside), but it has a DI engine.

Last edited:
I have 2 subarus myself.. was going to get a newer one until i saw the class action lawsuit against the new engines.

You drive a lot of miles, live in CA (gas WILL go back up) - can't beat a 2010+ Prius for economy. Near 50mpg, less maintenance and darn reliable. Pick up a used one for $12-14k and drive to 200k+ and you'll be saving thousand$.
With cheap gas right now, it should be the best time to buy one also.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You drive a lot of miles, live in CA (gas WILL go back up) - can't beat a 2010+ Prius for economy. Near 50mpg, less maintenance and darn reliable. Pick up a used one for $12-14k and drive to 200k+ and you'll be saving thousand$.
With cheap gas right now, it should be the best time to buy one also.

Finding a used Prius, 2010 ($15k-18k) or 2011 ($18k-20k), isn't that great a value in my opinion.

I've not seen many under those prices that aren't super high miles and been heavily used.

500 miles a week in California, highway round trip for 5 days I assume?

Will you be stuck in traffic too?

I'm thinking, maybe you should consider an EV that has 50+ miles range if your work place has a charging port. This gets you a carpool lane sticker and free charging half the time (if you are lucky more than half the time). The money will be paid back QUICK even if you lease and have to pay 15c / mile extra.

Or if you can't charge everywhere, a used plug in hybrid that you can at least get the carpool lane sticker and charge 30% of the distance driven would still save you money and time.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
500 miles a week in California, highway round trip for 5 days I assume?

Will you be stuck in traffic too?

I'm thinking, maybe you should consider an EV that has 50+ miles range if your work place has a charging port. This gets you a carpool lane sticker and free charging half the time (if you are lucky more than half the time). The money will be paid back QUICK even if you lease and have to pay 15c / mile extra.

Or if you can't charge everywhere, a used plug in hybrid that you can at least get the carpool lane sticker and charge 30% of the distance driven would still save you money and time.

I actually do not live or regularly drive in a busy area of California. Most of my mileage is highway and I am rarely stuck in traffic.

That is correct about 500 miles every 5 days. It's probably like 400 highway and 100 city miles. But even the city miles is not stuck in stop and go traffic at all.

I'll say it again: Cruze Eco with a manual transmission. Will beat its 42 mpg highway rating pretty easily in mostly highway driving, comfy seats for long-distance travel, nice short throws with the shifter, and it's QUIET on the inside. Mine just hit 96k miles and it's been pretty darned trouble-free. It's also not a gutless wonder like a Mirage or Fit.

"Average" reliability means what these days? One repair every 100k? That might look lousy compared to one repair every 200k; but in reality it's a trivial cost.

Originally Posted By: supton
"Average" reliability means what these days? One repair every 100k? That might look lousy compared to one repair every 200k; but in reality it's a trivial cost.

Good point.

But I have a 2009 Focus...with "average" reliability.

It's cost me plenty. I wish I'd purchased a commuter car with a very high reliability rating. Like my Ridgeline has.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Good point.

It's cost me plenty. I wish I'd purchased a commuter car with a very high reliability rating. Like my Ridgeline has.

Why don't you dump that car already? Life is too short to drive something you hate.

Economical how.
As in you can buy a cheap older vehicle that may burn more fuel but because of the lower purchase price it's cheaper to own and drive.
Or newer vehicle that's easy on fuel but it would take a lot of fuel savings to meet the lower out of pocket costs of an older vehicle.
You'd have to do the math. Is the fuel savings on an newer econobox enough to offset the added cost of the car payment.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Economical how.
As in you can buy a cheap older vehicle that may burn more fuel but because of the lower purchase price it's cheaper to own and drive.
Or newer vehicle that's easy on fuel but it would take a lot of fuel savings to meet the lower out of pocket costs of an older vehicle.
You'd have to do the math. Is the fuel savings on an newer econobox enough to offset the added cost of the car payment.

Or you could just buy a motorcycle, new or old, save a whole bunch more money, and use even less gas.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to buy and old gas hog clunker, and justify that it's better to waste money over the long term by feeding the oil industry.

Unless Clevy works in the oil industry, and he's just trying to keep his pay high.

BC.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Good point.

Why don't you dump that car already? Life is too short to drive something you hate.

I have been debating that for a while now. Probably the main reason is that it's paid off. While it's a piece of junk in my book....I suffer no payments. Other reason is that my girlfriend likes to drive it.

When the day comes and it implodes upon itself...and it will....that will be the day I get a more likable vehicle. Until then...I want to get at least something back from all the repairs it has cost me.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Good point.

I have been debating that for a while now. Probably the main reason is that it's paid off. While it's a piece of junk in my book....I suffer no payments. Other reason is that my girlfriend likes to drive it.

When the day comes and it implodes upon itself...and it will....that will be the day I get a more likable vehicle. Until then...I want to get at least something back from all the repairs it has cost me.

So it's really your girlfriend's car that you hate?

^^^^ No. Where did you get that idea??

She drives it occasionally to various appointments. She likes that it's small and has good outward visibility. I own the car and do 90% of our driving (including our shared commute).

If my dislike for the car causes you anguish....I would suggest ignoring what I say.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude here...but the Cruze reliability record isn't anything but average.

That's why I said manual transmission. Far less to go wrong than the automatic that Chevy still hasn't fully worked out.

Also, there are about a million of them on the roads, and the current model will be in production until mid-2015. So parts will be cheap and available for years to come. The gassers are also easy to DIY maintain, especially the manual since the engine and manual transmission are quite small compared to the engine bay.

Not everybody likes GM, I get it. If you can get past the fact that it's a GM product, take a look at this one particular trim level since on paper it seems to be the sort of car the OP might be interested in.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Not trying to be rude here...but the Cruze reliability record isn't anything but average.

That's why I said manual transmission. Far less to go wrong than the automatic that Chevy still hasn't fully worked out.

Also, there are about a million of them on the roads, and the current model will be in production until mid-2015. So parts will be cheap and available for years to come. The gassers are also easy to DIY maintain, especially the manual since the engine and manual transmission are quite small compared to the engine bay.

Not everybody likes GM, I get it. If you can get past the fact that it's a GM product, take a look at this one particular trim level since on paper it seems to be the sort of car the OP might be interested in.

Ok...I see.

It's probably a fine vehicle and would work well for the OP. To be honest, I think the list is long as to what vehicle would suffice for his needs.

I think you are right about a good amount of people not caring much for GM products (me included). But it's mostly perception and not all reality as to the reasons behind the disdain. I'm not a Ford guy anymore either....but I don't have any real valid reason other than my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back