Supertech Synthetic Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Hello, I just did a search inquiry here on the bob is the oil guy website,searching for used oil analysis with the walmart brand synthetic oil "supertech synthetic". I didn't find anything!
I would love to here from people who have done so.

Which additive or additives within a synthetic oil work as keeping the engine clean,etc?

After reading that chart again after a few months..that NOACK on the Pennzoil Ultra...

Shouldn't really need any additives, what car is it going in?

I did a test on our two Jeeps several years ago with ST Syn, and the UOA came out great at a 5k interval; just as good as Amsoil, M1 or VWB, just a little less additive in the ST compared to the other synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I did a test on our two Jeeps several years ago with ST Syn, and the UOA came out great at a 5k interval; just as good as Amsoil, M1 or VWB, just a little less additive in the ST compared to the other synthetics.
That is because there is not a whole lot of difference between the oils these days. Syns may last longer than GPII etc but in respective classes of oils nope not much difference. They keeps the parts from separated and where they can't the additives do their thing etc.

Even the Napa syn is decent if the vehicle is in good condition and its not operating in horrible scenarios. Just buy a good filter, check the level once in awhile and watch your gauges and it will do 4k-5k ok.

The only thing I don't care for regarding the Supertech Synthetic PQIA data is the lack of moly, but that's just me.

I'm currently a (new) Quaker State Ultimate Durability fan.

It was on a great sale & rebate offer last month at Menard's where my only final costs were the sales tax and the postage stamp for mailing in the Menard's receipt label and rebate form.

Right now, you can purchase a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart for about $5 more than a 5 quart jug of Supertech Synthetic, then get a $10 / jug rebate from Pennzoil (limit 2 jugs), plus a $0.50 per gallon discount on Shell gasoline per jug, up to 20 gallons (up to another $10 back in gasoline discount). If you have a vehicle that can accept a 20 gallon fill-up, this makes the cost per jug $2.66 plus sales tax on the original price.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

So I have Pennzoil Platinum in my truck right now for the winter, and QSUD waiting in my garage.

Can anyone answer this?
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Which additive or additives within a synthetic oil work as keeping the engine clean,etc?

What is the actual name, or names of these additives that do the cleaning? I see there are many different additives in synthetic oil,so I would like to know exactly which ones do the cleaning?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Yes - the detergent and dispersant additives work at keeping the engine clean.

Lots of good info here as one example.

http://www.pennzoil.com/learn-about-motor-oil/

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back