Engine Oil Pump Energy Saving Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAE PAPER 2011-36-0150

Should help with some of the discussions currently taking place.

Quote:
Oil pumps are sized to low speed and high temperature condition which is the worst condition for the lubrication systems. By designing the oil pump to satisfy this condition the pump became too big for other situations producing a excess of flow that is usually managed by a relief valve

Paper shows typical linear oil pump delivery curve, superimposed over typical engine demand curves.

Has reasons for most pumps being driven by the crank snout (more efficient pumps, although that's not to say a traditional small block chev/ford couldn't have an efficient pump designed for it)

Of course, as soon as anyone would make the comment to change, then it is new tech, which to many, is inherently bad.

Good info presented, I look forward to it being brought forward in practice... I can see a small mechanical pump for ruggedness, and then a variable speed electric pump for the bad conditions. Controls can self protect the rest of the way...

Originally Posted By: CT8
The more plumbing the easier it is to clog up the pipes.

Curley.jpg

Bump, because I've found another paper.

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/m...k_k7_chap10.pdf

There's another half way house shown in this one, a two chamber vane pump, with the second chamber set to recirculate rather than pressurise when the oil is cold, and the oil is thick, then open up the chamber to the galleries when the flow is required.

Fig 3 is what I've been trying to get across for a while that engine oil demand is lower when viscosity is higher...bearing side leakage is low, oil demand is low, and therefore the artifact of that is higher pressure...and operation of the relief.

Logical answer is to reduce oil pump volume under these conditions, and that's what they are trying to do, not drop viscosity until the relief closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back