Can I reuse an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oil filter that has less than 2000 miles on it? I want to do an oil change on my 93 Vic, and I can't decide between trying some Tech2000 5w20 at $3.08 per qt, or Zellers brand AutoPrix 5w30 at $1.67 per qt. Either way, I'm not going to be left with much change. Even a cheap Honeywell Defense oil filter for my car goes for $5.22, and prices for better filters go up from there. I've currently using a Carquest premium blue filter, and 5 quarts of Maxlife 5w30 plus 2 cups of MMO in the oil (one day I just wanted to try it).

Not really, although some may say I've poisoned the oil with the MMO I added to it. Oh, I also put a bottle of the CD-2 SLOB in it too.

Sure you can reuse a filter. I put a 9k used filter from Ugly3 on my Caravan. It wasn't even "in the family" and we shared filters. Now in some circles you can't share these types of things. Some just thing (apply appropriate accent) "It just ain't right.".
grin.gif

Not a problem.

Cool. I just looked at a little note about the car when I changed the oil last, and I've put a wee bit over 2000 miles on since I changed it. Bah, maybe I won't bother changing it after all. The oil seems to be doing it's job well, although the slightly burned smell makes me wonder if the MMO I put in it did anything harmful. I suppose I'll run this oil and filter another 3500 miles or so and change it out.

If you are looking at trying a new, cheap oil, I think you would be better off using the W-M T2000 oil, as it meets the latest SM specs. The AutoPrix oil sold at Zellers, according to the API website, is only SJ rated. It says it is SM rated on the bottle, but the API website says otherwise....that was fairly recently. It probably doesn't matter to you, though, b/c your car is old enought to have used SJ oil for most of its life...but just letting you know.....

FWIW, I'm currently using T2000 5W-30 in my '02 Cavalier, and I'm happy with this oil. The car runs smooth, and the comnsumption is less than with the Pennzoil 5W-30 I had in before.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Not really, although some may say I've poisoned the oil with the MMO I added to it. Oh, I also put a bottle of the CD-2 SLOB in it too.

Putting both full bottles of CD-2 and MMO will thin the base oil alot. That's why they don't recommend any oil supplements added to high mileage oils either.

I would drain that oil & only use one supplement next time. Remove the filter - tip it over & let it drain -- turn it over a few times more to remove excess -- then reinstall. Make sure the gasket seals on both ends are clean -- then re-oil the filter gasket before re-applying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back