scored a cheap, old Formula 1 filter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at an older Canadian Tire store the other day, and was looking at oils and filters, and I found an old Formula 1 filter that will fit my Cavalier (3387A). It was one with the red gasket, and it was on clearance for only $1.29! This is a heck of a steal, EVEN if it is only an old Fram. They had a few of them in other sizes, and they were all really cheap. I guess the store was trying to clear out old stock they had.

I know Canadian Tire still sells 'motomaster' brand oil filters, but I'm suprisd they didn't replace the 'Formula 1' line of filters with another 'high end' line of house filters....I wonder if they are going to, because they have a Formula 1 line of everything else; from oil to injector cleaner.....

Dang it! I saw the title of your thread and thought you had scored an old Formula 1 racing filter. I was all excited to see what they looked like.
frown.gif

Crappy Tire stopped selling the F1 filters last year. They were close in design to the Fram Tough Guards. For $1.29, you really can't go wrong.

Someone cut open a F1 filter with photos here once. Do a search...

Last year? I think it's been more than that. Heck, summer of 2004 when I had my old Geo Metro (I miss that car) I bought a Formula 1 filter to fit a 5 liter Ford V8 from Canadian Tire and put it on, and even then they've been for sale for a while. Wish I could find one to fit my 93 Vic.

Any ideas on why C-T didn't replace the 'Formuala 1' line of oil filters? No point w/ all the other filters they sell, I guess...?

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
I was at an older Canadian Tire store the other day, and was looking at oils and filters, and I found an old Formula 1 filter that will fit my Cavalier (3387A). It was one with the red gasket, and it was on clearance for only $1.29! This is a heck of a steal, EVEN if it is only an old Fram. They had a few of them in other sizes, and they were all really cheap. I guess the store was trying to clear out old stock they had.

I know Canadian Tire still sells 'motomaster' brand oil filters, but I'm suprisd they didn't replace the 'Formula 1' line of filters with another 'high end' line of house filters....I wonder if they are going to, because they have a Formula 1 line of everything else; from oil to injector cleaner.....

I found out why, Fram paid them to put more orange on their shelves and less of the house brand.

That Formula 1 filter is junk, caused a lifter tick on my car until the oil pressure came up 10 minutes later.

Cheap crap.

I wouldn't install it on my car if they gave it to me.

I searched the other C-T's in my area, they all have different sizes of these filters, all different prices, but all fairly low, but no more in the size I need.
frown.gif

Oh well, I guess finding a deal on one filter is better than none!

I'm not worried about it causing a problem with my 6k kilometer change interval......

You should worry seeing it will cause dry startups due to poor construction and a failing antidrainback valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back