$20k dollar crew cab 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys im looking into buying a new/used truck. im wanting to spend 20k or less and pay cash. I want crew cab and 4 wheel drive. Ive been looking at 2009-2013 silverado LT's,2009-2012 XLT and FX4 F150's, and 2009-2012 Rams. I was going to put the money down on a new 14 Ram Express 4x4 but have decided to stay out of debt, and just pay cash. I don't really want $20k of my money tied up while still owing 10-15k on a truck.

I've been running into the problem of used trucks being outrageous, are they like that all over the country? im seeing 100k mile 2010's going for 20+k. I've noticed the cheapest ones ive found are in michigan, and they get more expensive going south. At least that has been my gathering from a week or so of craigslist and autotrader shopping. Naturally they probably are in better shape south of the ohio which puts them mostly out of snowy climates. thoughts? id really like a 2011 or 2012 for around 20k with 50-70k miles on it, am i dreaming?

Used cars are over prices it seems since the brains in our government did their cash for junkers in 2008.

Used trucks are still very overpriced. Unless I was planning on buying one at least eight or so years old, I'd just buy new.

I've seen trucks just a few years old priced a few grand under new....

Used cars overpriced? Yes. Especially a used 4x4. They always seem to carry a premium.

Might want to think about a 2014 F150....they are really going to move those when the new trucks come out...

$20k for a late model crew cab 4x4 ?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I recently looked at my local dealers thinking maybe $25k for the same kind of truck and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices. I think I would go with a new truck after that surprise. I wish you luck in your search!

A new Colorado will cost way more than that,speak nothing of a full size.you'll be in upper 30 bracket.

How soon do you need to buy? I bet you could buy new and only finance a few grand and pay it off in a year. Maybe in the spring.

SHOP AROUND! BE PATIENT! I found my 2005 F250 SD, (only a supercab) 4x4 with only 54K miles in January of this year for $15,500. Smoking deals are out there, but you have to be patient. Depending on your locality, 4x4s can be tough to find in the winter. Also depends on options you want, mine has manual hubs, etc. You are definitely below the threshold where you could find one on Carmax for that money. Be prepared to wait a few months, drive a few miles, and look at a few trucks!

I'm in the same market.

I've honestly been looking at "restored" Chevy Crew Cabs from the 1980's....you can find some sweet ones if you look. If you spent $15k on a 1986 3+3 that has a new GM crate engine, new tranny, new interior, new rims/tires, and new paint job....you're looking at a mighty fine truck. Plus, they are SUPER easy to work on.

I know these two are only 2WD, but you get the idea:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-K-Pi...=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-K-Pi...=US_Cars_Trucks

If you just scour the internet and wait a few weeks, someone will have a really nice one for sale. $12-$15k takes them home. Totally re-done. Also, find the "square body Chevy truck" Facebook page....always trucks on there for sale. There is also a crew cab/suburban page as well.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
id really like a 2011 or 2012 for around 20k with 50-70k miles on it, am i dreaming?

Yes, I think so, but only you can tell what your local market is like.

New car financing is dirt cheap - 2% interest rates.... rebates and discounts abound on trucks. Chevy, Ford & Dodge are all at war over sales. Now is not the time to pay cash. Just put $10k down - keep the other 10 as reserve. Get a longer term loan if you need to - 72 months - it's not like any truck will be worn out after 6 years if you take care of it. Used truck prices are outrageous everywhere - buy a new one - there was never a better time than right now.

Year and a half ago I was in similar boat, but in New England my price range for the truck had me looking at junk. Low 20's does exist. I snapped up my truck for $22k, a CPO with 73k on the clock and a 3yr/27k warranty. Low option, low power, low mpg but I decided it was suitable for my needs.

Not sure what I'd do today, seems like for just a bit more one can go new. I guess it depends upon how much you plan to drive it, if it sits most of the time then used is better--but the newest trucks seem to be in an mpg war and if you drive enough then small mpg gains can mean big savings.

But trucks seem to hold their value. Big initial depreciation but then holding steady at levels that seem ridiculous.

I found I could sit behind myself in a Ram quad cab and I'm 6', and those new are $24-26k. The crew cab was a little bigger but it seemed like a few inches.

I found this one in Indiana. It's close to meeting my criteria if I could get it OTD for 20-21k

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/ve...ingId=371991201

My original plan was to put money down on a new one, but I don't like $300 a month car payments. I enjoy putting that money in savings every month. I am also am not sure I trust the US economy over the next 5 years. Maybe I'm just too much of a skeptic. I've just almost always paid cash for my vehicles it's nice to not owe anyone anything. I'm going to keep shopping around. If I have zero luck I'll go look at New hemi 8spd RAM trucks

I appreciate all the advice guys. Love BITOG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I found this one in Indiana. It's close to meeting my criteria if I could get it OTD for 20-21k

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/ve...ingId=371991201

My original plan was to put money down on a new one, but I don't like $300 a month car payments. I enjoy putting that money in savings every month. I am also am not sure I trust the US economy over the next 5 years. Maybe I'm just too much of a skeptic. I've just almost always paid cash for my vehicles it's nice to not owe anyone anything. I'm going to keep shopping around. If I have zero luck I'll go look at New hemi 8spd RAM trucks

I appreciate all the advice guys. Love BITOG

You probably could get that for $20-21K OTD. Cash in hand talks. Make an offer, worst thing that can happen is they say no. If they say no, you walk away. They may change their mind real quick when you go to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back