The new Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve: Sorry One more and I will stay out of your thread! The only major complaint I have is with the Low Beam Headlights.

I don't have the kewl looking Led-Projector Headlights.
I have the Quad Headlights... The Low Beams are Horrible! But the High Beams are Awesome.

I'm either going to try upgrading bulbs or spend some $$ & Look into better headlights in general. The older I get the worse my night vision is getting and seeing is pretty important.

Anyway-I will stay out of your thread Steve-->Congrats on the Awesome Truck!

Ok, I just don’t understand this acceptance of plastic and aluminum trucks that cost almost as much as a starter home. I think in a truck especially plastic and aluminum will not hold up.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The trans pan is plastic with a built in filter so at service you have to buy a new pan. I think the price ,lists at $300.00. I was seriously looking at the diesel or a Hemi 1500 to buy I haven't yet. Tempted. .

The automakers really have it out for us do-it-yourselfers, don't they?

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Ok, I just don’t understand this acceptance of plastic and aluminum trucks that cost almost as much as a starter home. I think in a truck especially plastic and aluminum will not hold up.

I don't understand these prices period...I'm surprised they sell any vehicles at these prices...new vehicle prices are off-the-chart ridiculous!

Grampi: I agree 100%

Just before I signed the dotted line on my Ram... I walked out of the office 2 times.

I was literally sick at my stomach. This was the first New Auto that I {Myself} had ever owned and was going to drive.

I am 50 now and this Ram will take me into retirement. I will not do this again for Myself. My wife will get another after the 2 kids are out of college.

I was able to get every option I wanted and needed for a decent price that I thought was fair.

I am going to slowly add a few minor upgrades that I prefer.

But the Prices are only going to get Higher for Pickups!!! They are making them where every family desires one, so the prices are just going to go up!!!

You don't have to pay this much for a truck. MY 2012 with 9k miles was only 16k and all steel and iron. I don't think it will take you into retirement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
... 8HP70 transmissions are fully electronic, and can change their shift maps to meet current conditions; Ram has over 40 shift maps. The software uses engine torque gradients, kick down, longitudinal and lateral acceleration, hill detection, friction detection, downshift detection, cruise control, stability control interaction, and temperature to determine shift points and methods.

Smart trans...

Smarter than me. I barely know the map how to get home.

You don't have to pay this much for a truck. MY 2012 with 9k miles was only 16k and all steel and iron. I don't think it will take you into retirement.

Troll much? Run out of meds? Haven't seen you in a bit.

But I'll bite. This 2012, did it come with the 20th century 4.3 and 20th century 4spd auto and 20th century mpg's, and as a regular cab? Or a high mpg 5.3L/6spd auto/quad cab?

Pretty sure no matter what your trans case is made out of that junky old aluminum stuff.

On a few of the Jeep boards I see a lot of complaints with the 8 speed transmission in the GC. I'm wondering if its the same transmission used in the PU, or the light duty version of the 8 speed they're having problems with. The GC uses two different versions of the 8 speed ZF transmission. The heavy duty transmission goes into the Quadra-Drive II equipped GC, that's the transmission used in the Ram PU. The light duty 8 speed transmission goes as Quadra-Trac II equipped vehicles. I'm not clear which units are having the issues or if its effecting both units.

FTR I love the truck!

Closed mind. My 20th century still get 24mpg and will be around a long time. When you are at the dealership with a cracked plastic pan from driving down a gravel road don't complain.

Originally Posted By: supton

Troll much? Run out of meds? Haven't seen you in a bit.

But I'll bite. This 2012, did it come with the 20th century 4.3 and 20th century 4spd auto and 20th century mpg's, and as a regular cab? Or a high mpg 5.3L/6spd auto/quad cab?

Pretty sure no matter what your trans case is made out of that junky old aluminum stuff.

Last edited:
the underside truly is a wonder. just about everything except the gosh darn oil filter looks easily serviceable. i spent a good 5-10 minutes under when doing my first oil change just marveling at how good it is designed.

of course the oil filter is above the power steering rack and its impossible to not make a mess, but still better than a honda filter in the back of the engine block anyday.

I think people are seriously underestimating how tough composites and aluminum are. Think about it. Airplanes have been made of aluminum for decades. And they are starting to be made out of composites. If it's good enough for Boeing & Airbus, it's good enough for me to be on a car.

Airplanes are in a environment used by pros. Cars are used by a wide range of people some who do not take care on them. One day 75 down a gravel road the other stuck in ice or snow or stuck in rush hour traffic. They take tremendous abuse. Not the same. Why does everyone trust big auto companies so much? Look at the recalls across the board today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Aluminum bodies hold up well in the trucking industry. Some plastic composites may surprise you.
Yeah it is not new .

Metal is not always better than plastic, especially on something like a transmission pan that is thin enough to be damaged even if it were metal. If you hit something hard enough to break the pan, it doesn't matter what it's made of; it's gonna get damaged regardless. The metal gas tank on my Bronco rusted out and is now leaking. A plastic tank wouldn't have done that. I'm going to be replacing it with a plastic one so I won't have any more problems with it ever again. Plastic - 1 Metal - 0.

Oh yeah, and even with the metal gas tank, there's a skid plate underneath the tank. If metal is sooo superiorly strong, why does it need a skid plate?

Does anyone know if the V-6 Ram has the good 8 speed tranny like this? I like the EPA ratings of 25 mpg. The best I've been able to pull off with my 4.3 has been 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back