Napa Gold (Wix) Oil Filters Threads Machined Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have changed from the purolater classics to the Napa Gold (Same As Wix) and noticed the threads on the napa gold filters did not look good and upon further investigation the inner middle tube was not centered perfectly. I am thinking of buying the Asian filters that i tried when purolater started having quality issues this year. This was one filter i looked at so it might not be an issue it could be just this filter but i will be watching. The cheap Asian filters were made really nicely just dont like the big black letters that say made in China it makes us look bad.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
just dont like the big black letters that say made in China it makes us look bad.

lol, if it bothers you then buy fram, isn't fram made in usa?

I would run the orange can if I didn't want to extend my OCIs, but a fram ultra for 15k sounds like great filtration and the money saved compared to other filters.

I'm sure wix filters are good in general. Apparently 1 that I sent to someone had a dent in the "dome" area, so maybe even wix is slipping? I dunno, I have seeen sooooo many cut open, they almost always look great.

I have a fram ultra with around 17k miles on it, will be removing around 20k, any filter cutting tool suggestions? I rather get something nice once.

Last edited:
I have changed from the purolater classics to the Napa Gold (Same As Wix) and noticed the threads on the napa gold filters did not look good and upon further investigation the inner middle tube was not centered perfectly. I am thinking of buying the Asian filters that i tried when purolater started having quality issues this year. This was one filter i looked at so it might not be an issue it could be just this filter but i will be watching. The cheap Asian filters were made really nicely just dont like the big black letters that say made in China it makes us look bad.

Your making a argument here (the feeling I get), but what point are you trying to make? What question do you want answered?

I always worry when a well known name gets sold off to someone else.Affinia took over WIX a number of years ago from Dana Corp.Just like they took over Raybestos from Brake Parts Inc...my thought was always "when will they downgrade both?"

Affinia was formed when Dana declared bankruptcy in 2006. Same HQ in Gastonia, NC. FYI-Wix threads are rolled not cut. They do look weird if you haven't seen a rolled thread before. Cut apart the China [censored] and look at the inside. Please try to support US companies & products-our future depends on it.

Dave

Go with the new Fram Ultra filters. Very reasonably priced and offer the best efficiency, flow and protection on the market. You can't beat it!

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
crazyoildude The cheap Asian filters were made really nicely just dont like the big black letters that say made in China it makes us look bad. Paint them. [/quote said:
Or get your own shop decal that slaps over them.

No im not really making an argument here.. just looking for the best filter for the money to replace the filters we used for years.

Can you post a picture? I've never heard of this issue before. Like anything else that's manufactured, it could very well be a flawed unit. Still nothing wrong with WIX/ Napa Gold filters.

I still feel the Napa Pro Select or Napa Silver is a perfect filter for your needs. They are WIX made and of great quality. Plus you wont have any "Fram" emotion.

how do you know about the fram ultra having the best efficiency, flow and protection on the market.

My belief was always if it filters very well it can't flow very well but maybe the synthetic media has something to do with it.

Aren't you a business ower? How much do you charge for an oil change if you don't mind my asking?

Not knocking the filter, but it would be wasteful to use it as an everyday filter for an independent shop. That is an expense you'd have to pass onto the customer.. And 99.9% of people who get their oil professionally changed don't care what filter they have as long as it filters. Plus I am also willing to bet they'd only run them for 3000 miles or so.

My .02.

actually we dont do oil changes on a regular basis. We are an engine shop and we used to use group 7 oil filters made by purolater for over 20 years but we changed because of all their torn media and quality issues. We tried a few different brands to replace them. We have some pro tech filters we use on some engines. We use motorcraft on most of the fords which are also made by purolater but so far so good, lol
I like filters made in the usa.
On the other hand stock filters look the best on a newly rebuilt engine.

how do you know about the fram ultra having the best efficiency, flow and protection on the market.

My belief was always if it filters very well it can't flow very well but maybe the synthetic media has something to do with it.

It's an old internet tale that a very efficient oil filter must be flow restrictive. You can have both if it's designed right. Since the Ultra is full synthetic that helps it flow better. According to the data Motorking provided from inside Fram, the Ultra flows better than the PureOne, and the PureOnes flow well anyway (I've posted the Flow vs PSID thread dozens of times). There are just a few filters that perform at the level of the Ultra, but are usually more expensive. Since you might want these for customer cars, the Ultra isn't probably very "financially attractive", but maybe for your own personal use it is.

There are many ways to approach fluid filtration, but in general if falls within the 3 universal maxims of engineering design & construction.

1. You can have it cheap.

2. You can have it quick.

3. You can have it work.

Pick any 2 of those.

It takes time - see #2. Study is needed, not someone's quick whim.

The quickest solution is very often not the economically optimal solution, which is why engineering projects typically go through a phase-gate approach to project management these days.

The heads would spin off folks in my last 2 employers if they'd seen how projects were executed with minimum bureaucracy in my first employer out of college.

Sometimes we could even hit all 3!
cool.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant Wix's HQ remained in the same location; I wasn't referring to Dana.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back