Interesting tire failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.odometer.com/lifestyle/4517/1...7-fde#slide/0/0

The one on what looks to be a Buick LeSabre is really weird.

59d767e15ae04b7507e42b7ae9501a1968f15386.jpeg

Many of these look to be photoshopped. If they are real, then my goodness...whats wrong with people?

I had an interesting fail sorta on my old truck. I call it interesting because I still drove on it for 10 miles after I lost the tread.

1z4fhtt.jpg

I've seen some of those in the parking lot, Esp, older f150 with mud tires that have that wonky TTB suspension that would eat tires.

They end up with 5/32" or so tread on the inside edge and steel belts on the outside edge

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Many of these look to be photoshopped. If they are real, then my goodness...whats wrong with people?

....you clearly are new to the /r/justrolledintotheshop subreddit?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
http://www.odometer.com/lifestyle/4517/1...7-fde#slide/0/0

The one on what looks to be a Buick LeSabre is really weird.

59d767e15ae04b7507e42b7ae9501a1968f15386.jpeg

My oldest daughter did this exact same thing to a tire when she first started driving. Her and a friend wanted some donuts. She borrows my car and drives to the donut shop. On the way home, she has a flat and drives for a period of time on the flat. She arrives home with donuts and tells me, "Daddy, there is something wrong with the tire on the car." I go out and see it's flat . I haul out my trusty, dusty air compressor, hoping the tire might still live. It airs up. "It's alive!" Then it starts making odd noises. Within five minutes, it looks like the tire in the picture. I go in the house and eat donuts. I feel sad.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
this one cracked me up

R8HFHZh.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/

Good subreddit for this kind of stuff :p

That one may have been pulled into the spare tire well as the pressure went down. Not that I've seen a spare tire well that was the size of a wheel only. The tire is new and looks like it was dropped from under a pickup.

JC Penny sold batteries,car stereos,and had tire/lube centers too.That ended late 1970s

JC Penney sold their service centers to Firestone. You can sometimes find these stores near a JC Penney's stores. Malls tend to be good places to put tire shops.

The most obvious tire failures are the tread separations from large trucks using re-capped tires.

You can see these "alligators" along side of the highway, or you might drive over one.

Under inflation or running flat would be the most likely cause of this type of tire failure.

Tire re-cap plants say those tread separations are not a result of failure of the bonding agent, but "case failure".

OK, what is case failure?

Does the separation of tread from tire occur as "belt leaving belt" or sidewall problems?

(I think I just gave away what I've been reading today.)

"Green" comes from the colour of wet, fresh, un-cured concrete.

I've seen a lot of new truck tires blow out. Mainly Bridgestones. We got a bad batch about 10-15 years ago and I had 3 new trailer tires blow out in a month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back