Walmart tires and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's too bad. I liked their auto services especially for mounting tires.

My guess is the whole industry has shifted from making money on oil change to losing money on oil change then making it back on pricy repair and maintenance. Unfortunately Walmart would never be able to invest that much in equipments, inventories, and training to make them back.

Plus, who does 3000 miles oil change these days? It is all about 10k miles oil change in the future. The TLE I went to also would not mount tires thinner than 50 aspect ratio, which means they will likely exclude a huge amount if not most of the new cars.

So it just makes sense to dump that.

Last edited:
The dealers are getting more competitive, and modern cars don't need as many oil changes. So I suspect the quick lube business in general is hurting.

I'm surprised though Walfart is getting out of it. I'd expect their customer base to have older cars that wouldn't be dealer serviced, vs say a Costco whoes lot at least up here looks like a 2014 European car dealership.

Last edited:
Well, you are in CT; every parking lot there looks like 2014 European car lot (well except Bridgeport and Hartford and ...)

Based on what's in CT, Saab and Volvo would pretty big car companies.

We have a boat load of Tesla's now at least to break it up!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Too many lawsuits when their disgruntled 8-10$ an hour employees destoy cars by accident?

Not only that but also only giving them enough hours so they are still considered part time.
There was 1 guy at the one near me that did tires well but I guess he left as I have not seen him. I can't blame him, he can get more hours and money else where since he knew what he was doing.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The TLE I went to also would not mount tires thinner than 50 aspect ratio

What's next, refusal to mount tires on anything but OEM wheels? Some of these tire places have gone beyond ridiculous with some of things they won't do anymore...

Originally Posted By: grampi

What's next, refusal to mount tires on anything but OEM wheels? Some of these tire places have gone beyond ridiculous with some of things they won't do anymore...

The tech told me they don't have the latest equipment to work on a low profile tire correctly, and has nothing to do with cover your behind.

Originally Posted By: grampi

The tech told me they don't have the latest equipment to work on a low profile tire correctly, and has nothing to do with cover your behind.

Exactly. I'd rather they tell me upfront that they're unable to do it instead of trying and screwing it up by damaging the rims.

With that said, an aspect ratio of 50 is kind of vague. Something like 195/50 does indeed have a very small sidewall and may be difficult to work with. But something like 255/50 gives you plenty of sidewall to work with and shouldn't be as difficult to mount.

I would imagine you would be pleased with his honesty instead of berating him about the limitation...

Originally Posted By: babbittd
This article, about the new store in East Topeka, talks about upgrades to that store's TLE.

http://cjonline.com/news/business/2014-0...h-auto-upgrades

http://www.sullivanjournal.com/business/article_cdee7af2-2e8c-11e2-b47d-0019bb30f31a.html

Great news for Euro car owners in East Topeka!
wink.gif

Quote:
J.P. McCoy, who works in the automotive department, said the store has implemented a new oil change process that involves sucking out the old oil instead of draining it. It should shorten the time to change the oil from about 30 minutes to 20 minutes, he said, and will reduce the risk of damage to the car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It would wise be to keep their TLE so customers can spend $$$$$ inside the store while their car is being worked on.

But if leased out to some sort of quick lube, the liability is no on someone else! Seems like a win-win.

Hopefully prices on tire balance don't rise.

I would imagine that they do the franchising idea on a trial basis and if successful, make it policy to roll it out nationwide.

I suspect they currently provide their services with very little profit. They are as likely to make profit by franchising to JiffyLube without having to manage the employees or liability.

Same reason they have Subway or McDonald's for fast food instead of Great Value.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Great news for Euro car owners in East Topeka!
wink.gif

Quote:
J.P. McCoy, who works in the automotive department, said the store has implemented a new oil change process that involves sucking out the old oil instead of draining it. It should shorten the time to change the oil from about 30 minutes to 20 minutes, he said, and will reduce the risk of damage to the car.

Yes, us Euro car owners are huge quickie lube fans.
smile.gif

It's wild speculation not based on reality to say TLEs are going away.

Why do some stores have a TLE and others do not? It's because of local ordinances (big-box store size limitations). My info comes directly from the manager at the North Conway, New Hampshire store. He said they wanted one but the town would't allow it.

An old timer I know works at a TLE and he tells me that there has been a "study" by by Walmart which found that, as noted here, TLE it is a loss leader but they more than make up for it in general merchandise sales while their vehicle is being serviced.

Don't worry, Walmart knows what they are doing ($).

TLE? I'm guessing the "T" is for tires and the "L" is for lube, but what's the "E" for?

Although they're no longer my tire store of choice (I found a local family-owned shop that has competitive prices and superior service), I hope Walmart isn't getting out of the tire business.

It seemed like it was the only department in the store that that was run with any kind of competence.

As far as oil and lube shelves being empty, it's because local repair shops are using Walmart to stock their shelves leaving nothing for us DIY'ers. Yesterday, there was NO Dex-VI, NO conventional or synth 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-anything and just a few jugs of HDEO on the shelves.

The ammo cabinet was better stocked.....

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Although they're no longer my tire store of choice (I found a local family-owned shop that has competitive prices and superior service), I hope Walmart isn't getting out of the tire business.

It seemed like it was the only department in the store that that was run with any kind of competence.

As far as oil and lube shelves being empty, it's because local repair shops are using Walmart to stock their shelves leaving nothing for us DIY'ers. Yesterday, there was NO Dex-VI, NO conventional or synth 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-anything and just a few jugs of HDEO on the shelves.

The ammo cabinet was better stocked.....

Except for .22 right? Lol.

Funny you mention that.. my local store never has ATF+4. Whenever I need some, I thought about asking if I could order a case. PYB 10w30 is pretty rare too. Definitely don't go to buy the oil the day you expect to change it unless you want to improvise with 10w40 and 5w20. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back