5W-50 Too Heavy for Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are the engines really that poorly put together that they have to run a 50 grade oil?

Not "poorly put together".

OP says: It's a Gord Bush Performance built motor with 4032 alloy forged pistons in bore-matched holes with it's first 6 thousand km on it.

Originally Posted By: datech
It would probably be fine on 5w30, or 0w20, unless he really races it. Maybe he does.

0w-20 in this built turbo boxer when the builder is calling for at least xw-40?

Ummmm no.

5w50 will shear into a 40 grade pouring out of a shaken bottle.

5w should have no problem with winter cold starts.

If you have a power outlet, get a pan oil heater and block heater.

0w50 is another option.

The full synth 0w40's and 5w40's should be fine year round. Monitor oil pressure/temps and adjust accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why the thick oil? I'm genuinely curious.

"thick" oils keep highly loaded parts away from each other.

By "Thick", you are talking like 7-8 cst operational viscosity...hardly "thick"

Thank you folks, for your thoughts. I appreciate them.

I was concerned that a xW-50 oil was too high, and I will stick to a xW-40 multigrade in the winter going forward. Sounds like xW-50 won't hurt but is unnecessarily thick.

This one was available and I ran with it, partly with the thought of protecting the rebuilt motor with the thicker oil.

The 5W50 won't hurt a thing. Ford's high performance cars spec 5W50. If you like the way it runs with the Syntec,I'd keep on using it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The 5W50 won't hurt a thing. Ford's high performance cars spec 5W50. If you like the way it runs with the Syntec,I'd keep on using it.

Right.

Cause someone is going to drive one of fords high performance cars in the winter.
I wonder if anyone sells winter drag slicks.

Gimme a break.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Right.

Cause someone is going to drive one of fords high performance cars in the winter.

Gimme a break.

In Edmonton, AB, we see LOTS! of winter tired Mustangs, Camaros , Challengers , M3's, you name it. Last winter I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo with Pirelli winters on factory wheels... white with black wheels...AWESOME. These cars are driveable with the right tires...

And a 5w50 may not be ideal, but it won't hurt anything. It is still a 5w, after all. And Ontario typically doesn't get that cold anyway.

Right.

Gimme a break.

My oil temperatures can get to over 100C at 0C ambient inside 25km just normal driving in D (3.2cst HTHS for reference)...that's the oil fresh off the crank/rods, middle of sump. If I hold 3,800-4,200 RPM for 10km, it hits 125C..

I personally think that too much credence is given to how cool oils run in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Right.

Gimme a break.

In Edmonton, AB, we see LOTS! of winter tired Mustangs, Camaros , Challengers , M3's, you name it. Last winter I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo with Pirelli winters on factory wheels... white with black wheels...AWESOME. These cars are driveable with the right tires...

And a 5w50 may not be ideal, but it won't hurt anything. It is still a 5w, after all. And Ontario typically doesn't get that cold anyway.

Speaking of tires; I certainly HOPE that Laszio does NOT use those R888 gumballs (or at least that's what they look like) in the dead of a Canuck winter!!!
31.gif

And yes, my car will even get up some snowy hills (imagine that!!) with a set of Hakka R2s or the like, and 150# of kitty litter in the hatch.
wink.gif

Right.

Gimme a break.

The Ford Shelby GT 500 is a daily driver,as is the Boss 302 (which both spec 5W50).

Not sure why you're asking now, but you'd be better off with either Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40. But I agree that 5W-50 won't be that big of a problem in a heated garage...

Originally Posted By: LaszloToth
Thank you folks, for your thoughts. I appreciate them.

I was concerned that a xW-50 oil was too high, and I will stick to a xW-40 multigrade in the winter going forward. Sounds like xW-50 won't hurt but is unnecessarily thick.

This one was available and I ran with it, partly with the thought of protecting the rebuilt motor with the thicker oil.

You didn't say if the garage is heated.

I like the arm chair engineers who listen at the real factory engineers, the ones that BUILT the engine, and pour in something entirely different.

Heavier oils cost horsepower. Why run one?

There's been zero engine failures with the FACTORY RECOMMENDED OIL. Why make it sooo confusing? Bearing clearances were set at the factory to support a specific oil.

I'll keep watching Craig's List for a Subaru titanium super whammy engine built by John Force for $500 OBO,,, needs motor.

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back