Mercury Grand Marquis...Which Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newly acquired 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis with 87,000 miles. Going to run a Napa Gold(part #1372) filter and thinking about Mobil Super 5000 in 5w-30. Sound like a solid choice?

Actually, the Motorcraft oil filter is the best filter for the money for use in your Grand Marquis. As far as oil goes, if you want to stay with a conventional, the Mobil Super would be just fine. You might want to consider Pennzoil conventional as it is an outstanding conventional oil.

Ford did back-spec your car to use 5W-20 if you want to go that route.

We had a '96 Marquis that used nothing but Castrol 5W-30 and it has over 300,000 miles.

Enjoy your Grand Marquis! They are excellent vehicles. I LOVE my Crown Vic!

If it were me, I'd use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 in it. Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 will be just fine, but that engine is specified for 5W-20 and is what I'd stick to.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
If it were me, I'd use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 in it. Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 will be just fine, but that engine is specified for 5W-20 and is what I'd stick to.

2nd on that one. And it's cheap at Walmart too! Plus you can get a Motorcraft filter cheap there as well. A win/win situation :^)

That big 5w-30 sticker on the radiator core support has me hesitant to use a 5w-20....even though I have read here Ford back spec'd it. Anyone know the TSB # from Ford on this?

I have logged a lot of miles in CVPI's over the years, so I'm familiar with the platform. The Grand Marquis was my uncle's car and it had been sitting for a few months. The ride is much softer than I'm used to but I expected that. I'm hoping it will be reliable and will certainly be a comfortable ride to take on trips.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

2nd on that one. And it's cheap at Walmart too! Plus you can get a Motorcraft filter cheap there as well. A win/win situation :^)

I know a lot of Ford guys use the Motorcraft filters but I get Napa Gold filters for $4.26 out the door....I think the Motorcraft filters at Wal Mart are $3.69 plus tax, so they would be a few cents cheaper.

If you're more comfortable with 5w-30, then run 5w-30. Either will work just fine.

It'll run for years on whichever name-brand 5w-30 you put in it. Really.

I used 5w20 and 5w30 in my 2000 town car, both we're fine. Only used motorcraft filters though because the 4.6 is supposed to do better with the silicone adbv, but any filter will probably work.

If you turn the wheels it makes it easier to change the filter, but I don't remember which way, sorry, look under the hood for the arm off of the steering box.

The 00-03 CVs and GMs have the problem with the nylon timing chain tensioners. Ford recommends 5W20 to help get the tensioners pumped up quickly and the Motorcraft filter to prevent drain back.

I run 5W20 (whatever is on sale) and MC or P1 filters on our 01 Grand Marquis and so far no problems at 146k.

Pretty awkward that they would be picky, I'm pretty sure all those Police Crown Vics still running are being ran on Bulk 10w30, I could be wrong though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I used 5w20 and 5w30 in my 2000 town car, both we're fine. Only used motorcraft filters though because the 4.6 is supposed to do better with the silicone adbv, but any filter will probably work.

If you turn the wheels it makes it easier to change the filter, but I don't remember which way, sorry, look under the hood for the arm off of the steering box.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
The 00-03 CVs and GMs have the problem with the nylon timing chain tensioners. Ford recommends 5W20 to help get the tensioners pumped up quickly and the Motorcraft filter to prevent drain back.

I run 5W20 (whatever is on sale) and MC or P1 filters on our 01 Grand Marquis and so far no problems at 146k.

Thanks for the advice. Will give the MC filter a try next oil change. The Napa Gold has a silicon ADBV as well, so hopefully it will work well.

I think I will give Pennzoil 5w-20 a try and see how it goes.

I've put about 100,000 miles on my Grand Marquis since I bought it. I've used mostly 5W-20 usually Pennzoil Platinum. I tried 5W-30 once and felt like the engine just didn't respond like it normally did.

Up until a couple of months ago I used the Motorcraft filters, but last time changed to the Napa Gold filter. The Napa Gold works great, no problem there though it is more expensive than the Motorcraft. Personally I just don't trust Purolator. Next time I'll probably use the Fram Ultra for 2 oil changes.

Some of the police vics run on 15w40, but that doesn't mean it's the best.

I would recommend the Fram Ultra filters for their highest efficiency and holding capacity.

5W-20 was back spec'd in 2001, but note that one major change occured in 2003 - additional oil capacity. My '03 and '07 with heavy duty oil cooling took 7 quarts to get to the fill mark after starting the engine and filling the filter with oil. Your choice, but for a pre 2003, I'd go 5W-30 or 10W-30.

PS: only use the FL-820S in this application.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
5W-20 was back spec'd in 2001, but note that one major change occured in 2003 - additional oil capacity. My '03 and '07 with heavy duty oil cooling took 7 quarts to get to the fill mark after starting the engine and filling the filter with oil. Your choice, but for a pre 2003, I'd go 5W-30 or 10W-30.

PS: only use the FL-820S in this application.

I know from looking at the mileage we used to get on our CVPI's, the engines will tolerate a heavier oil. Our shop ran 15w-40...and they actually still use it on my dept issued 2011 CVPI. We send them down the road at around 160,000 miles but the engines have always been good...it's the transmissions and rear ends that seem to be the weak link....of course they do see severe duty that the average passenger car does not see.

I picked the NAPA Gold filter because that is what has been used on our Crown's for years and they have worked for hundreds of thousands of miles. Why do you recommend the FL-820S only? Not trying to start an argument just curious.

Last edited:
I run MC filters on my 6.8l because of the thread-end bypass and silicone ADBV. cost doesn't matter but for less than $4, it's a deal.

The Buicks gets Wix everything; cabin air, air, oil, fuel. I don't want GM getting my money.
MINI gets Mann everything. OEM is expensive and Mann is made in the EU, not Purolator-made.

Personal preference.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Pretty awkward that they would be picky, I'm pretty sure all those Police Crown Vics still running are being ran on Bulk 10w30, I could be wrong though

Here we've been running bulk Castrol GTX 5w20 ever since Ford spec'd it and we beat the living tar out of those engines and keep many of them to near 200k. So few oil related problems that Fleet Operations hasn't even bothered to do UOA's, 5k OCI's with Motorcraft filters.

It may be entirely possible other departments run thicker stuff but I think you might be surprised at how many follow the factory spec.

I'm personally not that keen on 5w20 but I would not hesitate to put it in a Ford 4.6. And 5w30 would be fine too if you're more comfortable with it.

synthetic crazy those 4.6 engines in those Grand Marquis run very well even at 300,000 miles those are one of the best engines, period i happen to like those cars they run great and hold up well in accidents.
5w20 and a motorcraft filter in the winter. Motorcraft filters are made by purolator so be on the lookout for tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back