Why won't Lena Dunham go away and leave us alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I thought this thread was about Jeff Dunham, the [censored] ventriloquist with an even more [censored] sense of humor. I wish he would leave me alone...

He will KEEL YOU...Dead!

Originally Posted By: heynow
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
She seems to be leaving me alone? Never heard of her.

Same here... this is why I don't own a TV.

Then how do you know which way to face your furniture?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

That comment is very offensive and should have received much more censure. Seeing that 1 in 4 women at college is either raped or suffers from attempted rape, you should have more respect for your fellow human beings.

If 1 in 4 women in college put themselves in such a situation it is their fault in a sense and they should reevaluate those lifestyle choices they made.

Getting so drunk you can't remember what happened last night and waking up in some random guys dorm is not rape. It is stupidity.

I'll have respect for women when they are not constantly throwing that card on the table.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
If 1 in 4 women in college put themselves in such a situation it is their fault in a sense and they should reevaluate those lifestyle choices they made.

Thanks for your contribution! Your effort has helped BITOG toward its goal of offering more blindingly ignorant and insidiously evil statements in one season than we have in our entire prior history. Your suggestion to blame rape victims for their rapes brings us one step closer to being indistinguishable from the cesspool that is the rest of the Internet. Well done. Hope to hear more from you soon!
cheers3.gif

I feel sorry for those women who are victims of abuse. Please let this thread die.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I highly suggest that you turn off the idiot box and put it out with the garbage...

I agree 100% Pop. Instead, I highly suggest the OP turn on his computer and spend time on the internet scolding message board users, lamenting the state of discourse on message boards, wagging his finger at people who make curious style decisions, and imparting the type of wisdom that can only be amassed through years of clean, healthy living.

jeff

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Thanks for your contribution! Your effort has helped BITOG toward its goal of offering more blindingly ignorant and insidiously evil statements in one season than we have in our entire prior history. Your suggestion to blame rape victims for their rapes brings us one step closer to being indistinguishable from the cesspool that is the rest of the Internet. Well done. Hope to hear more from you soon!
cheers3.gif

Read the entire post in the context it was made, don't quote it partially to support your own agenda.

I like many other people have had friends who claim rape to escape the consequences of the choices they made. Would I be surprised if one was true? YES People will lie pathologically to support their own side of the story be it male or female.

I can say with astute certainty that most if not all of my female friends at that time agreed before or while getting wasted to sex but recanted on it the following morning. Is it rape then? No way it [censored]! Can they claim it was? Absolutely and destroy anyone & everyone in the process they came into contact with.

. . . If 1 in 4 women in college put themselves in such a situation it is their fault in a sense and they should reevaluate those lifestyle choices they made.

Getting so drunk you can't remember what happened last night and waking up in some random guys dorm is not rape. It is stupidity.

I'll have respect for women when they are not constantly throwing that card on the table.

Quite so. It's not "blaming the victim" (another battle cry of the American feminist), it's "expecting adults to take responsibility for themselves and their own choices." We used to advise young women to watch where they went and to avoid dangerous areas and situations. If we try to do that now, we get the screams of "We can walk where we want! We can get as drunk as men do! Don't try to tell us what to do!"

Of course rape is wrong. But putting yourself in harm's way because of some wrongheaded idea is pretty stupid.

As for Lena Dunham, I too am not sure who she is, or is supposed to be. Is she related to Obama's mother or something?

Read the entire post in the context it was made, don't quote it partially to support your own agenda.

I did. Quoting the whole thing wouldn't have done you any favors.

You did nothing whatsoever to separate those who lie about rape from those who were actually victimized. The words you actually used implied that rape victims in general deserved their fates.

If you now want to walk that back, then fine. Just don't feign surprise or indignation if your words were interpreted as they were written rather than as you wish they had been.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
It's not "blaming the victim" (another battle cry of the American feminist), it's "expecting adults to take responsibility for themselves and their own choices."

In what sense are you implying anything other than that drunk women are choosing to be raped?

We used to advise young women to watch where they went and to avoid dangerous areas and situations. If we try to do that now, we get the screams of "We can walk where we want! We can get as drunk as men do! Don't try to tell us what to do!"

It always blows me away how often men can say with a straight face that women should not expect the same degree of freedom of movement and dress as men can.

We used to advise young women to watch where they went and to avoid dangerous areas and situations. If we try to do that now, we get the screams of "We can walk where we want! We can get as drunk as men do! Don't try to tell us what to do!"

It always blows me away how often men can say with a straight face that women should not expect the same degree of freedom of movement and dress as men can.

They should not. There are very nasty and vicious elements in all human societies -- less of them in America than in other societies, at least until recently -- who love to prey on women. Women, generally speaking, are weaker in bodily strength than the general run of men. Add to that the fact that the nasty and vicious elements are willing to use weapons, and the conclusion is simple: Women should be more careful. (Again, we used to know this in the Western world, and taught girls this.)

In a perfect world, yes, women should have those freedoms. We don't have that world yet.

It's not "blaming the victim" (another battle cry of the American feminist), it's "expecting adults to take responsibility for themselves and their own choices."

In what sense are you implying anything other than that drunk women are choosing to be raped?

They are choosing, not to be raped, but to put themselves in a dangerous situation.

Let's turn it around. If a man were to proclaim his right to walk up to the nastiest, most vicious street fighter in the neighborhood and curse his mother, and then deliberately did so -- after having been warned repeatedly that this guy IS the nastiest, most vicious street fighter in the neighborhood -- and then got his face and kidneys stomped, we'd deplore the violence and would throw the attacker in jail. But we'd also say to the victim, "Told you. Now you won't do that again, will you?"

No, he didn't cause the brutal attack. But he deliberately put himself in harm's way because he thought he was invulnerable, because he had a "right" to do so. That's stupid.

I saw it both ways as an officer in the Army. I saw cases where a female soldier was raped. I also saw cases where a female soldier, mad that a male wouldn't pay her any attention, decided to get even by claiming he raped her.

There is no moral high ground based on gender. Bad character and/or bad decision making skills are not unique to one gender or the other. They are equally represented by both genders.

Women have the most to lose when they have poor decision making skills and come into contact with men who have bad character. A woman who chooses to go out and get drunk without someone with a clear mind looking out for her is making a poor choice. She is adding unnecessary personal risk to an already generally risky world.

Turn the genders around and it's the same. A man with bad decision making skills encounters a woman with poor character and he could be paying her for many many years if she manages to get him to marry her, have some kids and then decides to leave because she wants a payday. If he doesn't learn how to evaluate others, or get an impartial check from his trusted friends, he may find he is guilty of adding unnecessary risk to his already risky world.

The bottom line is, as I've suggested with the above hypothetical cases above, bad character is something that isn't unique to men. Neither are bad choices.

We can all cite wrongs that need to be righted. At the same time, we have to live in the world as it is. Hoping things were is no defense against an imperfect world. Neither is ignoring the reality of the current state of affairs.

There are very nasty and vicious elements in all human societies -- less of them in America than in other societies, at least until recently

What do you mean recently? What's changed?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I saw it both ways as an officer in the Army. I saw cases where a female soldier was raped. I also saw cases where a female soldier, mad that a male wouldn't pay her any attention, decided to get even by claiming he raped her.

There is no moral high ground based on gender. Bad character and/or bad decision making skills are not unique to one gender or the other. They are equally represented by both genders.

Women have the most to lose when they have poor decision making skills and come into contact with men who have bad character. A woman who chooses to go out and get drunk without someone with a clear mind looking out for her is making a poor choice. She is adding unnecessary personal risk to an already generally risky world.

Turn the genders around and it's the same. A man with bad decision making skills encounters a woman with poor character and he could be paying her for many many years if she manages to get him to marry her, have some kids and then decides to leave because she wants a payday. If he doesn't learn how to evaluate others, or get an impartial check from his trusted friends, he may find he is guilty of adding unnecessary risk to his already risky world.

The bottom line is, as I've suggested with the above hypothetical cases above, bad character is something that isn't unique to men. Neither are bad choices.

We can all cite wrongs that need to be righted. At the same time, we have to live in the world as it is. Hoping things were is no defense against an imperfect world. Neither is ignoring the reality of the current state of affairs.

That hypothetical analogy might have made more sense if you said the man was forced into marriage, without his consent / against his will and knowingly.

"if she manages to get him to marry her" - is there an unknown epidemic of this going on?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

That hypothetical analogy might have made more sense if you said the man was forced into marriage, without his consent / against his will and knowingly.

"if she manages to get him to marry her" - is there an unknown epidemic of this going on?

So many men marry the "wrong" woman out of a lack of confidence and low self-esteem. They're simply worried they may never meet another mate. Some women, certainly not all, prey on this. While some men may be rapists and vagabonds, many of us are just good natured family guys with a warm heart and a weakness for the opposite sex.

I raised two daughters. I did not spare them the ugly truth about the world. They are now 32 and 30 and are wonderful contributing members of society with good judgement. They do not NEED a man, they simply like having one around.

No matter your feelings, young girls need to know how to protect themselves (mine know Hapkido and Taekwondo) and need to learn to recognize a dangerous situation. Most rapists are NOT ABOUT SEX. It's usually about dominance and brutality...

Last edited:

I did. Quoting the whole thing wouldn't have done you any favors.

You did nothing whatsoever to separate those who lie about rape from those who were actually victimized. The words you actually used implied that rape victims in general deserved their fates.

If you now want to walk that back, then fine. Just don't feign surprise or indignation if your words were interpreted as they were written rather than as you wish they had been.

When you purposely only quote a select group of words you just admit you took it out of context. Sensationalize it all you want half quoting text doesn't make your argument any stronger.

You obviously missed the point that people will put themselves in such a position waiting to be victimized. They couldn't take proactive steps to prevent even with their hands held. They expect society to cradle them til "it's all better".

Not to mention women hold the "power" with rape. They have the power to stop it & even prevent it from occurring. They however use this power are a bargaining chip with relationships or at it's worse extortion.

Edit:

Building upon what Steve said above rape is usually more about power over another person than the physical act itself. That is essentially why as he stated women need to protect themselves before it even gets to the sexual part. It is very easy to stop an attacker these days with the tools our freedom allows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back