1988 Honda Civic 1.5L 77,000 miles, Good Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just buy whatever synthetic 5w30 is on sale. D-series engines run forever on plain old mineral oil, so synthetic is overkill anyways.

Motomaster (Shell) Formula 1 Full Synthetic goes on sale a lot.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Just buy whatever synthetic 5w30 is on sale. D-series engines run forever on plain old mineral oil, so synthetic is overkill anyways.

Sure, I bet these motors will run on olive and vegetable oil !
But the key to a great oil in cold months is best protection on cold startup !
I'm gonna try the 0w30 Full synthetic !
If it starts to leak, I'll just add some saw dust in there.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Originally Posted By: Audioquest

Sure, I bet these motors will run on olive and vegetable oil !
But the key to a great oil in cold months is best protection on cold startup !
I'm gonna try the 0w30 Full synthetic !
If it starts to leak, I'll just add some saw dust in there.
crackmeup2.gif

Esso used to sell a high quality synthetic 0W30. I believe it was called 'XD' IIRC. Not sure if you can get it any more through the Imperial Oil distributor. Unfortunately, our choices in Canada are not as good as in the US for 0W30 oils. Petro Canada makes a synthetic 0W30 as well.

Petro Canada

And run Valvoline Max Life Synthetic in the CRX.

Are there currently any 0W-30 mineral oils? AFAIK, if it's 0W-XX it's synthetic.

Whether an oil is "fully synthetic" is a whole other matter, since most OTS synthetic oils are mostly group 3, with maybe some group 4 mixed in (possibly as an additive carrier or to enhance certain properties while keeping overall cost down)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Another good deal is PP 5w30. $22.66 at Walmart for 5qt, and there's a $10 rebate.

That won't work for him in Canada, but PP is $26 for 5 litres at NAPA Canada this month.

You have two other Civics of the same generation.
What do you use in them?
We had two Civics of the generation prior to your '88.
The engine is pretty much the same, IIRC, although the earlier engines mostly used carbs while your '88 probably has fuel injection.
I used 10W-40 back in the day and the engines were fine even with below zero F starts.
What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that these engines are not at all picky about oil.
If you want to use a syn for those cold winter mornings, QSUD has pretty good cold specs and is reasonably priced.
M1 0W-30 has even better cold specs, if you can find it at a decent price in Canada.
Honda engines are typically pretty oil-tight, so I wouldn't get too worried about the seals and gaskets, even though this is an old car.
An old Civic with low miles that hasn't been ricerized is a rare find.
How did you come across it?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You have two other Civics of the same generation.
What do you use in them?
We had two Civics of the generation prior to your '88.
The engine is pretty much the same, IIRC, although the earlier engines mostly used carbs while your '88 probably has fuel injection.
I used 10W-40 back in the day and the engines were fine even with below zero F starts.
What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that these engines are not at all picky about oil.
If you want to use a syn for those cold winter mornings, QSUD has pretty good cold specs and is reasonably priced.
M1 0W-30 has even better cold specs, if you can find it at a decent price in Canada.
Honda engines are typically pretty oil-tight, so I wouldn't get too worried about the seals and gaskets, even though this is an old car.
An old Civic with low miles that hasn't been ricerized is a rare find.
How did you come across it?

Been using Amsoil OE 5w30 synthetic in the 1990 CRX and the 1988 civic LX
The 1991 civic Si has been in storage for 4+ years now.

I found the 1988 civic on a website called www.thisoldhonda.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back