Almost a Disaster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday afternoon one of my employees installed a Champ oil filter on a '05 Chev 3/4 ton pickup. He didn't oil gasket so,,, He didn't realize THERE WAS NO GASKET!!!!! My son (and other employee)checked ATF after engine started without looking underneath for leaks (looking is SOP) Sooo, customer left with stream of oil pouring out from under truck. Luckily he was able to do quick U turn & get back after light came on, but before low oil pressure circuit shut down fuel pump (Just about the greatest addition to modern vehicles).

So far engine seems unhurt, and I hope it stays that way. Haven't checked on price of new Vortec V8 but I'm sure I don't want to buy one at present!

Been selling/installing generic Puro's-Group7,Powerflo,Parts Master, for over 30 years and have seen most everything,,no threads,double gaskets,poorly crimped seams, paint inside, no paint,no gaskets, and I'm sure other tings I've forgotten. Only been using Champs for less than 1 year & this is first defect I've found. Will continue to use them,,BUT I know a couple of guys who will be looking a lot more closely. At least for a little while!

Bob

CHAMP brand, Don't remember #, could just as easily be one application as another. But I'll try to think to look tomorrow.

Bob

I hope you kiss the customer's behind big time now that he knows that you guys did a double failure in the oil change process. (Didn't check gasket, didn't check leaks.)

I don't care how experienced your workforce is. Sooner or later, if a human is involved, there are going to be mistakes. It's not like the process has enough liability that the "practice" installs mandatory protocols to eliminate the potential for human error. It's not surgery.

All that it takes is one interuption at the wrong time.

Would have been nice if you had the part number and brand.

If you still have the filter, the date code would help Champ.

However, every automotive filter manufactured by Champ has "stakes" that hold the gasket in place in the gasket retaining ring. ( Purchased filters may or may not)

Every Champ manufactured oil filter is tested for leaks. If there is no gasket, the filter will fail the test and be "kicked" off line before continuing down the production line. A production line employee will put a gasket in and the filter will go back on the assembly line to go back through the leak test.

I've personally demonstrated this to people on tours through the plant. Deliberately taken a gasket out and put the filter back on the conveyor line and it's failed the leak test.

Having said that...there are some OEM's who require no staking of the gasket. The only one that comes to mind is Cummins. They require the gasket to rotate within the retaining ring on some of their heavy duty oil filters ( or did).

I doubt GM or AC have this requirement.

Once you have the part number you can check the rest of your stock to verify if the filters have a gasket and if that filter gasket is "staked". If it is, you may have more questions than answers..

It was probably a PH44 if it is a small block 4x4 or a PH454 on a two wheel drive or big block equipped 4x4. Over the years I saw a few Champs that had no gasket. The filter was most likely E-core. I think I remember in the short time we had some e-cores a few of my guys said the gaskets fell out of them easily but can't remember for sure.

Lubeowner;
It is a Champ PH44 Ecore. Interested in why you no longer use Champ, price or quality?

Filter guy;

Stamped on filter end:

101305EN1 12:35
Pat Pend
Made In USA

No sign of gasket "staking" know what you're refering to. Should I contact Champ? Not really interested in $1.45 refund

Thanks,

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I don't care how experienced your workforce is. Sooner or later, if a human is involved, there are going to be mistakes. It's not like the process has enough liability that the "practice" installs mandatory protocols to eliminate the potential for human error. It's not surgery.

Yeah, but that person made THREE mistakes: not inspecting the filter, not lubing the gasket, and not looking underneath for leaks. He needs to be sent home with a written warning.

101305EN1 12:35

10=October
13=13th
05=2005
EN=E-core production line
1= 1st shift
12:35...
wink.gif

As i still have my cut open E-core Super Tech, I went to look at the backplate assembly and the gasket.

You're right in that there is no "staking" as there is in the other production lines.

Mine was fully seated and needed a little tug to be pulled out ( and a little care to put it back). So it would not be loose enough to fall out on it's own. Anyone can check this themselves. As i'm sure your employees now do..

quote:

However, every automotive filter manufactured by Champ has "stakes" that hold the gasket in place in the gasket retaining ring.

Filter Guy, you are slipping. How can you quote this misinformation. Along with your post theme "manufacturers cant make mistakes, they are too good"

Manufacturers make mistakes, and they occasionally put out a crappy filter.

quote:

You're right in that there is no "staking" as there is in the other production lines.

While the Ecore metal ring may not be staked the rubber gasket is ribbed to keep it in place. At least it is on the ST3600 I'm looking at.

Here are a few photos.

Side by Side of old SuperTech vs Ecore

-

Close up of Ecore

-

Close up of old Style

-

Close up of both without gasket

-

Close up of Ecore Gasket

-

Close up of Old Style Gasket

-

It was MUCH harder to pull off the Ecore gasket than the older one.

Bottom line....

I've never had a filter arrive without a gasket for the hundreds and hundreds of filters I've used.

I've also NEVER USED a quick lube place and I can see why.

The "crew" who changed this guys oil should be fired. Sorry. Done.
twak.gif

These are the same who strip out plugs, double gasket filters and forget plugs.

Heard all the stories. My sisters 1993 Civic was destroyed due to a quick lube place. New engine was $3,500 installed. Guess how much the Quick lube places insurance paid?

$1000

Why?

Her car had 39k miles on it. The engine was used. It would last a max of 100k according to them.

Nope. Not me.

I'll stay with my $2.07 filters and my oil that I put in and never have a problem.

Of if I do, The $$ I save doing it myself will pay for the error.

(and I know who's rear-end I'll kick)

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I have no idea what anyone on this site does for a living. But any who perform their daily professional duties without ever a mistake or foulup either set at the right hand of ***, or don't accomplish much!

On the few occasions where I or an employee has damaged or dirtied a customers vehicle, I've pulled out my wallet and MADE THEM HAPPY! Never mind the insurance company.

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

Yeah, but that person made THREE mistakes: not inspecting the filter, not lubing the gasket, and not looking underneath for leaks. He needs to be sent home with a written warning.

Agree 100%.
cheers.gif

Winston..the E-core production line was installed after I left the company. So I haven't seen it, yet.. But Champs requirements haven't changed and I know for a fact that even E-core filters are 100% pressure tested for leaks.

However after leading probably 30 tours in my days..I think I know what the rest of the plants, as there is more than one, production lines look like and the pressure testing for leaks is.

I do hope to take a tour of the E-core line as the Engineer in charge said he'd show me the new line next time I come to town. Which just might be next month if my schedule allows.

There are some things that are easier to explain once you actually see the production process.

( As an aside we , where I work now, received a compressor filter last Friday which is shrinked wrapped in a case of 6 and one of those is missing the gasket in the retaining ring. But we're not going to sell it.. We're returning it intact with the shrinkwrap to show we didn't pinch a gasket. It's made by D........)

Bill in Utah..thanx for the pictures.
I pulled my used Super Tech out right before setting off to work ( 7:44am) and focus on the retaining ring area. I didn't see any stakes in the retaining ring. But as your pictures clearly show, and as my filter has, the gasket has the stakes ( or nipples ) to hold it in place within the retaining ring itself.

my bad for not noticing..
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back