SIG P226 Barrel Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new SIG P226 in .40 S&W--not really for the .40, but so that I could drop a .357SIG barrel into it and shoot both if I decided to. Bought a brand new OEM replacement barrel and although it "dropped" right in, the slide would only go back about halfway and then it would stick. The dimensions of the two barrels were identical (did not measure it though), but the part of the 357 barrel past the breech block was slightly different (but not larger), it had "rings" in front of the breech block whereas the .40 was squarish.

In the end, I returned it and bought the 357 slide kit and it fits/works like a dream. Anyone try this and have a similar experience? I know, I know, pictures would have been priceless, but I did not think about it at the time. Just wondering why it did not work...

There might not be a direct barrel swap because of the way Sig slides used to be made versus how they are now. Now they are milled steel but they used to be a stamped piece.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There might not be a direct barrel swap because of the way Sig slides used to be made versus how they are now. Now they are milled steel but they used to be a stamped piece.

That would be my huess as well. The 357 Sig barrel was a perfect fit in my P229.

I have a Glock 31 .357 and also a Glock 22 .40 barrel. The barrel drops in, no problem. I used to have a Sigpro in .357, and the .40 barrel also dropped in, no problem.

Sig has made so many changes to their pistols over the years that I think you may have bought a pistol barrel from a different era, although I have never heard of this before. I probably would have called Sig and asked to speak to a technician about the problem.

The slide kit will work fine for you, although that is just a more expensive way of doing the exact same thing. Have you tried just the .357 barrel that came in the slide kit and see if it would work in your .40 slide? It it works fine I would be tempted to sell the slide and keep the barrel.

Interesting. I have a Sig 226 in 40 sw and I'm wondering myself if I can just use a 226 40 slide and a 9mm barrel.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Interesting. I have a Sig 226 in 40 sw and I'm wondering myself if I can just use a 226 40 slide and a 9mm barrel.

Unlike the 357 Sig which is a necked down 40 S&W, the barrel lockup area on the 9mm barrel will likely be of differing dimensions than the 40 S&W making the barrel to slide interface incompatible. You would have to do a slide and barrel swap.

Unlike the 357 Sig which is a necked down 40 S&W, the barrel lockup area on the 9mm barrel will likely be of differing dimensions than the 40 S&W making the barrel to slide interface incompatible. You would have to do a slide and barrel swap.

A regular 9MM barrel wont work. They do make 9MM conversion barrels, which have the same outside dimensions of the .40 barrels and drop right into your .40 slide.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-conv-interchangeable-with-40-sandw1.html

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

A regular 9MM barrel wont work. They do make 9MM conversion barrels, which have the same outside dimensions of the .40 barrels and drop right into your .40 slide.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-conv-interchangeable-with-40-sandw1.html
oh wow, nice! that saves a grip of money. Wish it was in stock.

Those look like nice barrels too...I have both a compensated and uncompensated factory barrel for my G20C...but I might go with these guys for a fully supported barrel for the G23 one day...also like the guide rod/spring upgrades...interesting...

Of course with the changes in slide manufacture at SIG, you may run into the same issues with aftermarket barrels that the original poster did.

BTW..I have an EFK threaded barrel in my PT92AF Taurus that I used to put a compensator on. Bought it back in 2006 or 7. It works and the gun prints tight groups. However, it does shoot lower with standard 115gr ammo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Do they make a necked-down 10mm?

Yes, it is called the 9x25 dillon. It is a wildcat cartridge. It was desined for certain competition shooting events.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Do they make a necked-down 10mm?

Yes, it is called the 9x25 dillon. It is a wildcat cartridge. It was desined for certain competition shooting events.

Nice. You know the ballistics off the top of your head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back