Are there any benefits to using gas additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DI ecoboost motor is there any benefit to running gas additives at regular intervals? and if so what would you run?

My wife and I have two DI vehicles and owners manual recommends top tier gasoline in the recommend grade. Both of ours call for 87 octane.

A bottle of Techron once in a while can't hurt anything.

The main benefit of additives is to make you wallet lighter so it's easier to walk around.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The main benefit of additives is to make you wallet lighter so it's easier to walk around.

So why do gasoline companies themselves add them?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I'm guessing the question is about aftermarket additives in a bottle and not what's found in pump fuel.

For most additives, probably. Techron is a different animal. To the OP....Techron may not have the same benefit in a DI motor as it would in a port injected engine, but it still has its benefits. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I'm guessing the question is about aftermarket additives in a bottle and not what's found in pump fuel.

The point I was trying to make (badly) is they have a purpose and it depends not on who adds them. As pointed out techron and other PEA based cleaners certainly are products worthy of consideration.

I put TCW3 outboard 2 stroke in small quantities in mine (1:400 or about 1oz per 4-5 gal)
It's ashless so it leaves zero deposits, it's a great UCL, slightly increases octane (stopped my car pinging) and is very high in detergents and does a great job of cleaning your fuel system and combustion chamber and even helps unstick piston rings in HM engines. It should help prevent carbon build up on valves that some DI engines seem to have
It has been discussed before and some don't like the idea but my car has never run so good since using it, and many others report the same

I'd run a big bottle of Gumout Regane or similar additive that has a lot of PEA in it. The PEA has a chance of getting onto the intake valves and doing some cleaning.

Iv had success with Berryman b12 on a few cars that where difficult to start. Most recently my newest on that would take 6-7 attempts to start each time. After 2 bottles of Berryman b12 and a thing of gumout regane it starts first time every time for the past 3-4 months.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

PEA-based gasoline additives (e.g. Techron, Redline) are available over the counter, and also included in top-tier gasoline. STP is available over the counter, and also included in Marathon brand gasoline. Both guessing and generalities are tricky things.

The problem with additives is that they may or may not solve a problem. Read the car owner's manual and see if the car manufacturer recommends any. In terms of additives in the gasoline, the EPA mandates minimum amounts so in theory that should be enough for all cars out there. If you believe in the scientific method, it calls for repeated, reproducible results. The problem the individual runs into is that their sample size is one and they're just using their butt dyno. So they say they feel that it works, but there are so many other variables which they can't control, number one being the weather, most measurements are adjusted to standard temperature and pressure. Higher or lower temperatures would affect performance. The list goes on and on, too many variables for a solid answer.

DI injectors need a cleaner more than regular port injectors as they are subjected to combustion by products.
I am beginning to see more and more DI units come in, they are badly fouled externally with hard carbon on the tips not just the usual internal varnish and other contaminates.

PEA based cleaners work very well in these types of injectors, the sooner you begin using them the better, they are hard to clean once the stuff as built up, its better to prevent it as much as possible.

Using top tier fuel may or may not be of benefit, some companies only put decent amounts of detergents in the high octane fuels, the lower octanes may only meet the minimum.
I like Redline SI-1, it is made for continuous use, a few ounces per tank will go a long way in keeping them in good shape.

Whether or not PEA helps the back of the intake valves is still being debated.

My opinion is that a fuel additive is beneficial if used properly due to ethanol related deposits. My recommendation is a bottle of fuel treatment around 1-2K miles as a maintenance dose.

If your injectors are so dirty that your vehicle needs professional help, a bottle of additive may not help much.

Years ago, I ran a bottle of cleaner and a quart of 2-stroke oil in a 20 gal tank. This blend of cleaners, oil, and solvents did wonders at cleaning out my engine on a road trip.

Today, I use MMO + 2-cycle oil in my gas and never have any issues with cruded up fuel components. MMO is mixed 4-oz per 10 gal (as labeled) and the 2-cycle is mixed around 300-400:1 (1/8 the normal amount) used as a light lubricant.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv had success with Berryman b12 on a few cars that where difficult to start. Most recently my newest on that would take 6-7 attempts to start each time. After 2 bottles of Berryman b12 and a thing of gumout regane it starts first time every time for the past 3-4 months.

Love Berryman. it is an old school cleaner but it has always done a nice job I believe.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I get plenty of additives in my Costco Top Tier gasoline. Five times the Government mandate.

Thanks for mentioning that. I never filled at Costco because they didn't used to have any.
Indeed they are now top tier from March 2014 - http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html . Will have to give it a try.

They did actually; it just wasn't officially awarded/licensed Top Tier.

I used to work in a lab for one of the auto companies. My colleagues were testing some gasoline additives, which caught my interest. I asked them what the results were. They mentioned that they weren't testing the efficacy of the products, they were making sure these products don't harm the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back