MY 12 Grand Cherokee CRD: M1 ESP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all

Latest results for my MY 12 Grand Cherokee CRD using M1 ESP 5W-30.

OCI was 10,530km (6,500 miles)

All looks good as far as I can See.
15177466030_2e5855ce41_o.jpg

With a 3.4TBN.....if it were me, I would extend the next OCI to at least 12,500km. The oil still had sufficient active additives to go an additional 2000km.

If you can get it in Australia.....M-1 0w30 might be a better choice.

I think that is way too much dirt, and too much iron, but since diesel engines under 4.0 are not allowed here, I haven't analyzed any of those engines. Do you have a stock air filter?

I'm glad you posted, as it reminds me to send in the sample from my 2012 Grand Cherokee (3.6) when I get back from my trip in a couple of weeks and change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
With a 3.4TBN.....if it were me, I would extend the next OCI to at least 12,500km. The oil still had sufficient active additives to go an additional 2000km.

If you can get it in Australia.....M-1 0w30 might be a better choice.

I'm not sure if Mobil makes a 0w30 that meets the needs of that engine.

Hi to all.

Unfortunately Mobil don't do a Low ash (ESP) 0W30 in Australia that I am aware of.

I thought that the Iron level for a diesel is OK? I do run an OEM air filter.

It all looks good Swampyy. Blackstone's universal averages are based on 10k kilometers just like your oci's and they match up nicely. So yes your iron looks fine.

If warranty allows you could extend the interval.

How is that engine performing? Good power and fuel economy? Trouble free so far?

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
It all looks good Swampyy. Blackstone's universal averages are based on 10k kilometers just like your oci's and they match up nicely. So yes your iron looks fine.

If warranty allows you could extend the interval.

How is that engine performing? Good power and fuel economy? Trouble free so far?

Hi DustyRoads

Warranty dictates that the oil be changed every 10,00km, but that will be coming to an end after the next couple of services, so could push out the OCI's then.

I originally started the oil testing as the Mobil 1 ESP is quite expensive here in Australia, but is the only one that matches the Owners manual word for word on specification (protecting warranty). So I wanted to build a history before I try a couple of different oils that are also Low Ash C3 after the vehicle is out of warranty.

However as the oil test results of the Mobil ESP are quite good, maybe I am best to stick with the Mobil. I wasn't previously a Mobil fan after a bad experience a few years ago, but the ESP seams to be performing well.

The VM Motori Diesel is a great engine. It certainly has ample power and the torque when overtaking is substantial. Towing with Grand Cherokee is a breeze.

As the engines are Euro 5, they do not smell like a diesel or smoke; very clean. Even to a point that when washing the car, part of the routine is to wipe out the insides of the chrome exhaust tips. No black soot or anything. Quite amazing.

The vehicle is fitted with a DPF but rarely does a burn off running the Mobil. Previously we used to run Shell Ultra Extra, as that was the only other oil that met all the specs, (not any more as they changed the formulation here in Australia), and the vehicle would be doing burn offs quite regularly. Not so with the Mobil.

So even though though the oil is expensive, I may just stick with the mobil. Expensive is about AU$14 / litre. Maybe push out the OCI's instead that will effectively reduce the cost.

Thanks for the reply Swampyy.

I have been thinking about getting a new Ram pickup truck with that same engine. I haven't done any research but rather just getting bits of info like yours so far.

That oil sure seems to be doing great in your application. I thought it was probably very expensive down there but if it provides warranty compliance and good performance, i guess it's well worth it.

It appears you could extend based on TBN reserve and the good results you're seeing. To be honest though, I don't know if that's all there is to it. I wonder if that low level of calcium detergent means it's not meant for extended drains or if it's of no concern. That type of oil is all new to me.

That oil seems to be ideal for that engine based on your experience with it and if you could extend your oci and save a little, all the better. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back