Wet shaving with a DE "safety razor".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Proraso, TOBS, Cella, Razorock, Conk, synergy, and a few others. Cella is my favorite but it has tallow, and I like my soaps on the wetter side. Tallow doesn't like much water.

I'm old enough to have learned to shave with a DE razor way back when, and returned to it about 8 or 9 yrs ago.

My most-used razor, by far(and I have a *bunch* to choose from, mostly old Gillettes)- a homely, all-the-gold-plating-worn-off 1930's vintage short-comb Canadian-made Gillette New 3-piece. It's a great shaver, maybe I should send it off & have it nickel-plated.
Soap- until this cake runs out, Old Spice, so old only the faintest trace of scent remains. When it's gone, Tabac (excellent shaving soap, but I don't care for the smell). Brush- Omega boar, most often a model 80265, sometimes a smaller 10275.
Blades- any of several, I've had good luck with white-pkg Wilkinson from the local grocery store, the red Personnas are pretty good, maybe my favorite are the yellow-pack Gillettes from overseas.
One more thing about blades- the DE razor blade peaked by 1970. Absolutely nothing available today is any better than the top of the line blades offered by Gillette, Personna, Schick, & Wilkinson in the late 1960s to mid 1970s. Very few of current blades are even in the same ball park. The folks who make a religion out of this pay absolutely ridiculous prices on Evilbay for some of them- and the Personna 74 leads the pack in price. And yes, those old blades, so long as they were made of stainless steel & coated- are still as good as ever, even if some are almost 50 yrs old.

Several shaving forums out there- Badger & Blade, ShaveMyFace, Shave Nook, Shave Den, in the UK the shaving Room.

I have a baby face that grows tree trunks called hair.
I have found the Shark Blades, Astra Super Platinum, and the Lord Platinums all work best for me..

IIRC I bought a 50 Pack of the Sharks for 8$ on amazon, freeshipping, as well as the Lords 50pk for 9$ on amazon, free shipping.

I have been buying blades online for a long time, but these are the only ones I liked so much that I bought another hundred. No duds, reliably sharp, but not TOO sharp.

http://www.robbinsinstruments.com/product/9-74-0002.html

A bit more expensive than some of the others, but made in USA.

This is what I use instead of shave cream. You can also buy it under the Clearasil brand name. I have also bought the CVS generic version. It works better than any soap or cream I have tried, but as always, YMMV. Availability of the store brand (Equate) has been hit or miss at Wal Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Oil-Free-Daily-Face-Wash-6.5-oz/10533955

I don't like the fact that I can't take my DE when traveling (only do carry-on). You can buy plastic disposable DE razors, but I'll bet the shave isn't that great. The weight of the razor is what does the work.

I just use BIC twin blade disposables when traveling. Sometimes, you just have to make sacrifices!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This is what I use instead of shave cream. You can also buy it under the Clearasil brand name. I have also bought the CVS generic version. It works better than any soap or cream I have tried, but as always, YMMV. Availability of the store brand (Equate) has been hit or miss at Wal Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Oil-Free-Daily-Face-Wash-6.5-oz/10533955

I normally use Noxzema as a preshave in the shower. Though I have shaved with it in a jiffy when I haven't had time to lather up the soap dish, good stuff

There used to be a Noxema face wash product that came in a tube. It was my all-time favorite shave cream, but they quit making it. The Clearasil (and generic) face wash products did well because they have a decent amount of glycerin in them. I haven't had great success with regular Noxema.

Overall, there are plenty of great shaving products out there and all are less likely to clog a DE razor than any of the multiblade heads that are current.

Perhaps it's the throwback aspect of DE, or maybe the feel of shaving with it is more satisfying. It does feel very different.

The C.O. Bigelow shave cream sold at Bath and Body Works is rebranded Proraso. And when you catch it during a buy 2 get 1 free event and add a coupon, it turns out to be dirt cheap for a good shave cream.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
The C.O. Bigelow shave cream sold at Bath and Body Works is rebranded Proraso. And when you catch it during a buy 2 get 1 free event and add a coupon, it turns out to be dirt cheap for a good shave cream.

tube wise, ive used this http://www.classicshaving.com/musgo-real-classic-shaving-cream.html

normally though, I use http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Deluxe-Shave-2-5-Ounce/dp/B001A3DNY6
granted I buy it individually for 1.32$ at the PX, I also use the Van Hagen brushes in a simple coffee mug,
I do like the tube, as with the Noxzema for the quick morning shaves if I don't have the time, its akin to using vitalis hair tonic if I don't have time for pomade or brylcreem

I soak my face and beard in the shower, then shave with a Merkur -- I don't recall the model, but it's short-handled -- and the Personna red box blades. For shave cream, I use the Aveeno stuff you find at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They usually have the Wilkinson blades, too.

Yes, at first I would nick myself at least once a week. After a while, if I stayed with sharp-but-not-too-sharp blades, there were no problems.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Yes, at first I would nick myself at least once a week. After a while, if I stayed with sharp-but-not-too-sharp blades, there were no problems.

That's how I feel with the Shark Blades or the Lord ones, Ive tried feather and whatever double super mega sharp platinum there, and I still go back to the sharks

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

That's how I feel with the Shark Blades or the Lord ones, Ive tried feather and whatever double super mega sharp platinum there, and I still go back to the sharks

I'm that way with the Astra Platinums...I try the other blades from time to time, but I always go back to the Astras...Feathers are known to be the sharpest blades available, I just can't use them...they tear up my face...

I learned about the Personna medical prep blades on the Badger & Blade web site. For me, they are about as close to ideal as I've gotten.

I learned about the Personna medical prep blades on the Badger & Blade web site. For me, they are about as close to ideal as I've gotten.

I really like Feathers, but the US-made Personna lab blue blades do well for me also. A little more pulling with a fresh blade, but that's it.

For a soap, I'm partial to the Nivea sensitive skin shave soap. Lather it on face, and it makes a lot of thick lather with just a dollop of product. Over the winter I usually follow it up with Nivea aftershave since it doesn't have a strong scent. The folks I work with appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
...the US-made Personna lab blue blades do well for me also. A little more pulling with a fresh blade, but that's it.

That's pretty much the same way I feel about them. They do pull a bit on the first shave and then smooth right out. I have read that the lab blue blades are more or less identical to the medical prep blades.

Where do you source yours and how much do you pay? I just received 100 blades so I'm good for almost the next two years, but saving a few bucks next time is OK.

I've been using a DE razor for about a year.

The Feather blades work best(of the 3 brands I have tried) on my heavy beard, especially when I go without shaving for a few days.

I've tried Proraso Green in both tube and cup varieties, Cella, and Proraso Red. I want to try other soaps, but need to work through my current supply.

My current razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89. I just ordered a Mahle R41 to experiment with an "aggressive" razor. I believe Mahle manufactures the heads for the EJ brand.

When I first started, cuts and blood were common, but now I've gotten the hang of it and rarely cut myself.
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the CO Bigelow shave cream is available at Bath and Body Works and they sometimes run 3 for 2 promotions on it. It is a very cost effective way to get Proraso at a discount. I may try that route when my current supply is depleted.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
...the US-made Personna lab blue blades do well for me also. A little more pulling with a fresh blade, but that's it.

That's pretty much the same way I feel about them. They do pull a bit on the first shave and then smooth right out. I have read that the lab blue blades are more or less identical to the medical prep blades.

Where do you source yours and how much do you pay? I just received 100 blades so I'm good for almost the next two years, but saving a few bucks next time is OK.

Amazon for $14 shipped/100 blades (Prime member). Lucky that 100 blades lasts you a few years, that many lasts me about 9 months! My quite heavy beard takes a toll on blades. I can't get more than 2-3 shaves out of any blade.

I just got a pretty good shave tonight. Got a new Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl in from amazon (29.98$+Shipping) anyway, badgerbrush and some Musgo Green Tube Original Scent cream (normally use my soap and dish but might as well use the tube cream)

Astra blade, mixed that up (Came with the razor)
Michael Bolton playing
Lilac Vegetal pinaud aftershave

Silky smooth, with the grain, and against
thumbsup2.gif

I also recommend "wetshaveclub"

I spend 17$ a month for new blades, soap, aftershave, and other goodies, as well as the occasional new brush or razor
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back