14 Indian Chieftain Chevron Delo 400LE 15-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty good to me. Gonna change every 2500 for shift quality and chage filter every 5000. Using Fram XG7317.

14 INDIAN CHIEFTAIN

REPORT DATE: 7/30/2014

MAKE/MODEL: FUEL TYPE:

Indian Motorcycle 111ci V-Twin
Gasoline (Unleaded)

OIL TYPE & GRADE: OIL USE INTERVAL:

Chevron Delo 400LE 15W/40
2,490 Miles

We haven't seen many of these 111ci engines before, but the results from the ones we have seen are averaged in the universal averages column, and the typical oil use interval is ~1,600 miles. Your run was a little longer, so it's nice to see metals reading low in this sample, as that's a great indication there aren't any serious problems in the works. No contamination turned up, and the low silicon and insolubles readings point to proper air and oil filtration. The TBN read 6.0, showing lots of active additive left since 1.0 is low. Try 4,500 miles on your next oil. Nice!

MI/HR on Oil 2,490
MI/HR on Unit 4,910
Sample Date 07/16/14
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

UNIT/LOCATION AVERAGES UNIVERSAL AVERAGES

ALUMINUM 7 7 6
CHROMIUM 0 0 1
IRON 11 11 14
COPPER 5 5 38
LEAD 1 1 3
TIN 0 0 2
MOLYBDENUM 77 77 45
NICKEL 2 2 1
MANGANESE 0 0 0
SILVER 0 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0 0
POTASSIUM 4 4 1
BORON 397 397 108
SILICON 13 13 14
SODIUM 3 3 85
CALCIUM 1323 1323 1412
MAGNESIUM 476 476 358
PHOSPHORUS 995 995 883
ZINC 1197 1197 1092
BARIUM 0 0 0

Values
Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 71.4 68-78
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.31 12.4-15.3
Flashpoint in °F 450 >390
Fuel % Antifreeze % - 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.1 TBN 6.0 >1.0
www.blackstone-labs.com

©COPYRIGHT BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES 2012 LIABILITY LIMITED TO COST OF ANALYSIS

i can promise you this, with a flash of 450 you dont even have a thought of fuel in that oil. dang that impressive!

what no silver? they stoners must have recalibrated recently.

or swapped it for nickel

silicon could be high for a streetbike, but this oil was in for half the motor life so it could be spiked with sealer leech.

copper of 5 is very low compared to ua, but still its just the motor. gotta be a tri-metal bearings or brass thrust bearing/sleeve in there. as could be the lead 1.
but this motor is still new when the fill was put in.

ride it till one of you die.
dont know if you can get a better report.

steve

Last edited:
Thanks Sunruh. I value your knowledge and opinion. I just wanted to make sure that this bike was like my other shared sump bikes. SRT, Delvac, Delo and other HDEO's still seem to work great.

I have always broke my bikes in using Motomans method. They have always run strong with great ring seal. I think this helps with fuel and contaminants getting in the oil.

Love the New Indians, so much better than a HD and I have owned a few of them since 1974. It is one of the best bikes I have owned so far. Handles great and has plenty of get up and go. I am old so I like the old school look.

oh this is a shared sump?

very very very nice uoa then!!!!

typically the copper would be then from a brass bushing on the clutch

yes i know the motomans method quit well.

steve

Awesome report, Spur. And nice motorcycle. I've been admiring the Chieftain and the new two tone paint for '15 makes them even more appealing. If there was an Indian dealer closer than 3 hours to me I'd go take a demo ride.

Thanks LR

If you go and ride one you will buy it. One of the best bikes I have owned so far. Really loving the ride and handling. All the pretty women that come up and admire it isn't bad either

It is good to be different, everybody has a Harley.

Does the amount of Moly in diesel oils have any bearing on wet clutches?

What additives are supposedly detrimental to a wet clutch?

Generally until you get into the 500 to 600 ppm range with moly, it then gets borderline, but anything with 200 ppm or less is a non issue.

Most mc oil have a 100 ppm or less of moly.

Thanks Mackelroy, I'm running Rotella T right now in the Can Am, but may want to give the Delo a try inasmuch as I've been using it for several years not in my Kioti diesel tractor. Still waiting till I get to
3K on the Rot T to do a test, maybe by next month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Generally until you get into the 500 to 600 ppm range with moly, it then gets borderline, but anything with 200 ppm or less is a non issue.

Most mc oil have a 100 ppm or less of moly.

So the used oil anaylisis says 77 parts Molybdenum right? So that oil would be quite alright in a wet clutch bike?

Just changed my oil in my 2013 Road Star to the Delo 400 . I will run this with what`s left of riding season here in Indiana and maybe into a month into next years season when the bike comes back out. Then I might try a 20w - 50 over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back