Compressor OCI with synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After two catastrophic rod bearing failures my boss is reconsidering devoting time to changing the oil in our compressors. I have chosen Amsoil's 30/40 ISO 100 oil as it covers what is specified by Speedaire and Saylor Beall. Here is the question. The recommended OCI with regular ISO 100 oil is 500 hours or 3 months. What is a safe OCI with synthetic? I already know that my boss will not support UOA. I was thinking that 6 months might be safe, but honestly I am just not sure. Thanks for any input.

This is a prime application for UOA. Pull a sample at the standard interval, and look for oxidation, metals, etc.

Compressor oils usually have only an "R&O" (rust and oxidation) add pack, so it should be doing well in those areas, but you want to look for water, oxidation/viscosity changes, etc.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i change the oil in our shop compressor 2x a year.it runs a whole lot,especially when sandblasting. its been going since 1983

The compressor end hasn't been opened-up in ~31yrs of use? That's downright amazing if so!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i change the oil in our shop compressor 2x a year.it runs a whole lot,especially when sandblasting. its been going since 1983

I wanna know the make of the compressor if this is true!

Oneeye one would think so. But my boss errs on the cheap and fast side of things. His theory would probably be if I need to check the oil then I can just change the oil at the same time. Really I was blown away that he didn't fight me on using synthetic oil, but that was due to the possibility of extending the OCI. I am thinking that 6 months should probably be safe. Most of the compressors haven't had their oil changed in a few years. I think that this is a step in the right direction.

I assume your boss was using a simple 30 weight API SA oil?

If so, it is no wonder he has had bearing failures.

API SA oil has no anti-wear OR R&O capabilities.

The Amsoil compressor oil has Anti-wear (AW) plus rust and oxidation (R&O) inhibitors.

I think you are on the right path by being a conscientious employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back