lexus sc 400's small filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
its the pl 10241 part number by purolator. his car has 162K miles now

I use a VERY significantly larger-than-stock oil filter on my Sonata V6 - but not on any assumption that it provides greater filtration media area. Rather it allows me to use a full five quarts of motor oil at each oil change without danger of being in an overfilled state once the engine has been started afterwards. Overall physical size of the filter is not a reliable indicator of the amount of filtration media inside. It's amazing sometimes to see just how much media gets packed in a smaller can.

thanks everyone, I never thought about what you said Ray H about the fact that it could be just a dense filter. however I am concerned because the oil was very dirty and the engine obviously had varnish and it has the records for 3 to 5K oil changes for life however the majority was done at tire kingdom so who knows what they did, there appeared to be blue lock tight on the outside of the drain plug but none on the threads so unless to the drain plug developed a hole in it I have no idea why they used lock tight on there the plug fit very nice and snug. the car is very easy to change the oil on ( after we found where that little filter was anyway) I cant imagine taking it do tire kingdom. the car was Dr. owned so I know he had the money to pay to have the car taken care of but it was sooo easy we didnt even have to lift the car up. that engine was very dirty also looks like there might be a leak somewhere or just a lot has built up and nobody has probably ever cleaned it. oh well we will see thanks again everyone

a friend of mine just bought a 92 lexus sc 400. well i went over to his house this weekend to help change out some fluids and do some work on the car. well we did an oil change and i could not believe how small this filter is for a V8. the oil capacity was only 5 quarts and the filter only holds about 0.3 quarts of oil. my 2.3 rangers filter is at least 5 times the size and the engine has the same oil capacity. im just wondering if people here feel this is adequate for this engine. the car was a one owner and the oil was changed every 3 to 5K. but there is obvious varnish just looking down into the oil cap. i know toyota makes great engines that last forever but this just concerned me and i wanted to know what people here thought or if they knew of a larger filter that would work in this aplication? thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back