WARNING: Used SuperTech ST3980 on Walmart Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my usual curious self today I opened an ST filter at Wally World.

I needed to check out the e-core design....at least looking at it through the hole and all.

I placed a finger inside to feel the plastic ribs.

Finger comes out covered in oil. Initially I was nieve thinking it was a production grease...again finger comes out in oil.

Someone conned walmart into returning it.

Be warned now on CHECK YOUR FILTERS!

Not at all, again I give you my word this happened. I rubbed the ribs/media lightly and my finger came out coated in oil.

I have used ST in the past ... until the e-core change over.

There is no reason for me to post false information on this.

Did the outside of the filter look clean? Whenever I take a filter off it's covered in road crud, plus the paint tends to be chipped. Should be obvious. Unless they did a good job cleaning it, or the cashier that took the return didn't look in the box (which seems more likely). Did you let one of the clerks know?

Now I don't feel so bad for using Motomaster filters. They may be Fram but they come shrink-wrapped instead of boxed, harder to pull a fast one.

As for used oil, well... make sure whatever you buy is factory sealed. Even if it's in a case.

My guess is one of their oil change mechanics picked up the wrong filter when changing oil in a vehicle. I've noticed a couple of times while I was checking out the oil aisle that a fellow would come out of the shop area and pick up a filter and walk back toward the shop.

Wow - it wasn't heavy with oil, yet still used....someone went to the hassle of fully draining it to return it. How stinking tacky.

Walmart should really look at what the are giving refunds on.

I've looked for my size filter and seen the wrong size filter in the box several times.
I assume that is some kind of switch to get
another filter like a fram for an st out the door.

Yeah, they swap a Fram into the ST box thinking they are getting a better oil filter.
grin.gif

I've found boxes with the wrong filter in it, but not used ones. You'd have to be pretty stupid to go through the trouble of returning a $2 filter.

They really should expand the death penalty.

There does appear to be a need to "thin the herd".

Then again, you've got to marvel at the resoucefulness of some of our more challenged..

"Life (however unsuitable for existance) ..finds a way".

I've seen customers in WM standing to exchange 1 gt of oil. I'm just as cautious in buying oil off the WM shelves.

someone problably go the wrong filter and didn't actually run it on the car. While trying too install it they problably got soem oil on it. that would be my guess

AT walmart its defin a good idea to check to see what your buying. Ive seen,
X2 boxes with Supertechs in them
X2 boxes with ToughGuards in them
Toughguards with orange frams in them
Empty filter boxes shoved to the back of the shelf.

I had a similar experience at a WalMart in Wilkes-Barre, my cousin and I were rolling through on the way to go skiing at Elk Mountain. I had to stop and get new windshield wipers because of the snowy Winter weather. After waiting in a long line full of very *interesting* people covered in tatoos and plaid shirts, I got out to the car only discover BOTH of the wipers had been used and returned!
offtopic.gif

BTW - I looked at a Super Tech filter the other day at my local WalMart and I thought it looked pretty cheap. The wide gaps in plastic ribbing on the inside didn't seem to have enough support to keep the filter material from collapsing.

confused.gif

~Sail

I found this same thing at Autozone, except the filter was heavy and full of oil.

I told the guy behind the counter, and he acted like he didn't care and it happend all the time?
freak2.gif

I guess my wife can't call me crazy anymore for opening my filters before I buy them... HA!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back