Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 VOA with TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a VOA for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. I had Blackstone do the TBN using both their old and new methodology. Under the new it is 8.9 and old is 11.0.

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: This is your virgin Pennzoil sample, and it's got a nice, stout additive package. Almost all engine oils use calcium, phosphorus, and zinc as additives; the only difference is how much each one uses. This oil also has molybdenum and boron in it. Molybdenum, phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives. The rest are mainly detergent/dispersants. The TBN starts out quite strong at 8.9 using the new method, and it read 11.0 using the old method. No moisture or insolubles found, and the viscosity is correct for a 5W/20. This oil should work nicely in your vehicles.

Sample Date 09/06/14

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 54
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 2
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 126
SILICON 2
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 2330
MAGNESIUM 19
PHOSPHORUS 735
ZINC 821
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 52.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.10
Flashpoint in °F 460
Fuel % -
Antifreeze % -
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.0
TBN (New Methodology) 8.9
TBN (Old Methodology) 11.0

And here is the actual report if you prefer that format.

PUP_5W20.jpg

Happy day! I have been waiting for someone to post this. Looks like a great oil. Now I just have to see what WM will charge for it.

Many thanks!

Thanks for joining and thanks for the VOA!

Interesting how much difference there is in TBN between the old and new methods. I thought the difference was supposed to be a little more slight than that.

I saw some yesterday at the Charlottesville, VA, Walmart.

They had both 5w-20 & 5w-30. $27 and change for the 5qt jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back