Super Tech vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went in Wal-Mart the other day to pick up oil filters for a 98 Nissan and a 94 Chevy Lumina Euro.The choices were Super tech and Fram.I went with Tech.Did I make the right choice.I change the oil and filters every 4000 miles.The Nissan has 85,000 miles and the chevy has 147,000.

I would say you did..but that's just me..
patriot.gif

Given the choice between Supertech and FRAM, I usually buy FRAM.

The selection at the local Wally's for ST filters is quite lame. The only part #s having a reliable supply would be the 3614 and 3387A it seems. Thus, for the other apps, I'll usually pickup an orange can for $4 and run it confidence for the manufacturer's suggested interval for severe service . Thus, if anything goes wrong, I'll have some basis for going after FRAM. If Wally had a better selection of Tough Guards, then I'll probably use those...but the selection at my local Wally's is quite lame.
frown.gif

The new E-cores do not have metal end caps, but likely still have twice the filter media area. They are made in America and have thread end bypasses unlike Purolator.

You can wonder in Wally's 24/7 and grab the one you need with no shipping charges or buying ahead. Fram isn't a credible option in my mind. Purolator, pay more for foreign made dome end bypasses? WIX, for those believing if it is more expensive, it must be better.

Let's see here....

Assuming that the ST is not a choice (as the selection sucks), here are the choices:

FRAM Extra Guard= $4.49 + $0.40(gas)=$4.89
FRAM Tough Guard= $5.99 + $0.40(gas)=$6.39

Purolator Premium Plus= $4.99 + $1.00(gas)=$5.99
Purolator PureOne= $5.99 +$1.00(gas)= $6.99

Napa Gold= $7 +$0.80 (gas)=$7.80

So, with Wallyworld out of the question, I listed the latest prices for a common part #, 1356/PH7317/PL14610 type filter. I included the cost for fuel, as well as the most current pricing. FRAM (Kragen's), Purolator (Pep Boys), Napa (Napa).

(visions of an ebay seller who doesn't include a shipping quote utility)

Michael, can you run those numbers for 19464?
grin.gif

..and where are you grabbing Frams if not from Wally World ..or are you just saying that there is no ST for your application??

Fram oil filters (decent)
smile.gif

Fram air filters (pretty good)
grin.gif

SuperTech oil filters (very good)
cool.gif

SuperTech air filters (I'm still waiting)
wink.gif

If your local WalMart has the ST in the fitment you need, no contest. (Unless you find some rebranded WIX filters under the "Castrol" name on closeout at K-mart for $2.00 each...)

How does nitrile equal "very good"?????

Silicone at $1 more with same or-better filtration/flow/shell strength equals "very good" in my opinion. Not found with STs or basic Frams.

Michael, with the choices you listed, I would watch for Pep Boy's specials and pick up the limit. Hope they have your filter. I went a ways out of my way to get to one the last sale, and n no L 15435's.

Michael - I haven't paid more than 1.50 for a premium plus with rebate in a year at Pepboys.
I agree with Labman and can't think of a better filter at that price.

Guys...

lawman in sc

Lives in South Carolina.

What makes you think he lives near a Pep Boys? For instance there isn't one in Myrtle Beach. Should he spend 3-4 gallons of gas to drive to Charleston to save $1.50 on a filter?

When someone asks about two specific filter brands..that could be because those are his choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back