oil for VW 2.0T FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw
you do realize.... that TSI is just a badge, right?

prior to the ea888 engines.... their was another TSI engine, the 1.4L turbo/supercharged direct injected motor in the MKV Golf GT (but had a roller follower also)

You do realize that Golf GTI 2007 had EA113 engine as Passat 2007 (B6)? The badge changed when EA888 replaced EA113.
He is asking question about EA113, and simpler way to explain difference is just to mention badging.

says, the guy with the ea888 asking about replacing the cam follower....

and the Golf R, has a TSI badge, even though it has a ea113 engine.

2009-volkswagen-golf-r-027.jpg

And what is wrong about asking about cam follower?
A lot of people had issues with 1.9TDI PD engine, but not this guy.

Audi also uses the TFSI badge.... regardless of the engine family, (minus TDI)... so, TSI, TFSI, FSI-turbo.... all meaningless as they are only badging.

It's just like people getting 4Motion and Quattro confused.

On the older 2.0T cars (FSI and TSI) I wouldn't hesitate to run Rotella T6. I don't think that car is protected by any extended oil warranty like the older 1.8T engines (out to I think 120k miles).

Audi also uses the TFSI badge.... regardless of the engine family, (minus TDI)... so, TSI, TFSI, FSI-turbo.... all meaningless as they are only badging.

It's just like people getting 4Motion and Quattro confused.

And I know what you saying, and I know it is only badging.
I just mentioned to the guys that TFSI on GTI V has bigger issues with fuel dilution then TSI on Golf VI or CC since it is different badging on Golf V and Golf VI. Now, I could mention engine codes, but why? No need.

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
On the older 2.0T cars (FSI and TSI) I wouldn't hesitate to run Rotella T6. I don't think that car is protected by any extended oil warranty like the older 1.8T engines (out to I think 120k miles).

With M1 and Castrol 0W40 available, I seriously cannot see any benefit to using Rotella T6.

With M1 and Castrol 0W40 available, I seriously cannot see any benefit to using Rotella T6.

Good point, especially with price being pretty much the same between the 3.

T6 and Chevron Delo 400 LE, aside from being less expensive (wal mart raised the price of castrol 0w40 to match mobil 1) is also 1% SAPS, less than both mobil 1 and castrol

@190,000 miles, I'm about due for my 2nd intake clean, as it is starting to ping

T6 and Chevron Delo 400 LE, aside from being less expensive (wal mart raised the price of castrol 0w40 to match mobil 1) is also 1% SAPS, less than both mobil 1 and castrol

@190,000 miles, I'm about due for my 2nd intake clean, as it is starting to ping

I am thinking that true Mid-SAPS might be beneficial in your case.

Fixed Interval oils

Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 10W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 10W-40 All temperatures

Variable Service oils

Engine oil (Preferred specification) VW 504 00 SAE 5W-30
Engine oil (Alternative specification) VW 503 00 SAE 0W-30

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Fixed Interval oils

Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 10W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 10W-40 All temperatures

Variable Service oils

Engine oil (Preferred specification) VW 504 00 SAE 5W-30
Engine oil (Alternative specification) VW 503 00 SAE 0W-30

Variable service is not recommended in the US.
In the EU it is recommended under certain conditions.

Very true, i like the way Pennzoil/Shell put it when they were asked about their oils doing longlife servicing. I think they said "we do not sell oil drain intervals" or something like that, VW sell longlife service intervals for marketing purposes but their sales teams at the dealers fail to explain the conditions for which variable serving is suitable. There hasn't been a single occasion where a customer coming in to us who is having variable service should be having one, all of them should be on fixed interval for the driving they do. It tells you on the VW website but strangely enough they don't tell you at the dealership.

I think they said "we do not sell oil drain intervals" or something like that,

Coming from a company that owns and operates Jiffy Lube that's been touting 3K mile / 3 month oil drain intervals for decades, that's hilarious.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think they said "we do not sell oil drain intervals" or something like that,

Coming from a company that owns and operates Jiffy Lube that's been touting 3K mile / 3 month oil drain intervals for decades, that's hilarious.

Yes, but in the EU game is different.
Different region different game.
Average driver here wants to drive latest technological peace of work, but at the same time to pay $19.99 for oil change.
Same with taxes. They do not want to pay taxes, but want new roads.

Except T6 is the only low saps option of the 3.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Since when T6 is Low-SAPS?
T6 is Low-SAPS when it comes to HDO specs. It is actually Full-SAPS when you compare to other VW502.00 oils. It has sulfated ash at 1%, while Mid-SAPS are rated UP TO 0.8% in order to meet VW 505.01. Low_SAPS oils that meet VW 504.00/507.00 cannot have sulfated ash level higher then 0.6%.

Since when T6 is Low-SAPS? T6 is Low-SAPS when it comes to HDO specs.[/quote]
Technically, according to ACEA E9, it is considered mid-SAPS. As you point out, compare it to other oils. Heck, even compare it to normal ILSAC rated North American/Japanese oils.

T6 is lower SAPS compared to the other two oils mentioned here: M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

T6 is lower SAPS compared to the other two oils mentioned here: M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40.

It has lower SAPS then GC and M1, but I would not call it that way.

T6 is Low-SAPS when it comes to HDO specs. It is actually Full-SAPS when you compare to other VW502.00 oils. It has sulfated ash at 1%, while Mid-SAPS are rated UP TO 0.8% in order to meet VW 505.01. Low_SAPS oils that meet VW 504.00/507.00 cannot have sulfated ash level higher then 0.6%.

Looks like all 504.00/507.00 oils fail then. The spec is actually 0.8% max.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Since when T6 is Low-SAPS? T6 is Low-SAPS when it comes to HDO specs.

Technically, according to ACEA E9, it is considered mid-SAPS. As you point out, compare it to other oils. Heck, even compare it to normal ILSAC rated North American/Japanese oils. [/quote]

According to ECEA, E9 has no mention of classification of SAPS group.

They mention C4 as low-SAPS... the sulphated ash limit is 0.5%

504/507 is more aligned with C3, which is not called low-SAPS by ACEA, which the limit for sulphated ash is .8%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back