Microns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a rookie question, but what is a micron?
I uderstand it is a unit of measurement, but what is that in like thousanths of an inch?
Also can you give me what micron sizez do damage to the engine?
Thanks! SEAN!

a micron is a micrometer, or the length of one millionth of a meter. There are one thousand microns in a millimeter. It is equivalent to 0.00003937 inches, or 0.03937 thousandths of an inch.

Ibuiltmine-o1oo

Let's put it this way.

The lower limit of visibility to the human eye is 40 microns at 20/20 vision.

Filters remove particles smaller than your eye can see.

There is for sure 25.4 Microns in a Mil and there is 1000 Mils in an Inch.

It would stand to reason that an oil filter is designed to filter out any particle that will do damage and let any particle through that won't. If not then that is the way they should be designed.

Well, I've gotten many miles out of my vehicles if all them filters I have been using have been designed improperly.

I would rather say, MC, that filters are designed to filter out particles that can do damage to the point that it matters. They filter a % of the offending particles ..and usually the % that they don't ..won't make an engine fail any sooner. It will be in better or worse shape (lubricated partswise) when the car is junked.

If only things were as simple as; if I used this one filter I don't have to worry anymore.

You need to look at the causes of particles in the oil stream.

Engine wear is one cause.

Your air filter can be a major cause. If you don't maintain your air filter and make sure there are no leaks that could be allowing a lot of dirt past the air filter.

Every filter made by every US filter manufacturer meets or exceeds Engine Manufacturers Warranties.

That's the short of it.

And that is the reason why anyone doing routine maintenance with any brand of filter has a very good percentage of not having a filter related engine problem along with a long engine life.

But as with BITOG types, some are not satisfied with just any ol' filter and want different performance characteristics. Which is where the aftermarket comes into play and why there are so many different types of filters to choose from.

There is no "wrong" choice.

There may be a "better" choice of oil filter for how you drive, the type of driving you do, the climate you drive in, and the length between oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back