Bad anti-drainback valve on AMSOIL EAO15 oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil last weekend and installed an AMSOIL EAO15 oil filter. I also filled with AMSOIL Series 3000 HDD oil, if that matters. The car is a 1991 Nissan Sentra with Greddy Oil filter adapter plate to feed Autometer oil pressure and oil temperature gauges. So, I am using the larger filter.

When I start my car now the oil pressure idiot light takes a few seconds to go off, and the Autometer pressure gauge takes a few seconds to register pressure. I have been using the same oil, but AMSOIL SDF15 filters in the past, and have never had more then a split second before pressure comes up.

So, this morning I installed a Purolater Pure 1 PL30001 filter I had laying around, and the few times I have started the car today, the oil pressure comes up almost instantly. So, do I have a faulty AMSOIL EA filter? If so, should I contact AMSOIL about replacement, or send them the fiter for evaluation?

I would complain about it & tell them you would like a new replacement filter in exchange. Also tell them how long it will be before you change the oil & filter in your vehicle again. That way, if the 2nd one is faulty five months from now, you will have documentation that you delayed installing the exchanged-replacement filter.

I'm beginning to suspect the ADBV on a EaO64 isn't working properly on my 01' Silverado. At times the ADBV is holding oil, and at times it's not.

My over-night oil level readings will vary day to day as much as 1/2" on the dip stick with the same daily trip, as though oil is being added and subtracted when the vehicle is not in use. This is a 50/50 proposition (coin toss) on a daily basis.

I've owned this truck for 3 years, and I've only experienced these odd oil level readings since I switched to a Amsoil EaO filter in November 05. I plan on replacing with a PureOne filter to see if the same occurs.

BTW- The oil pressure gauge reads the same during start-up, independent of what the oil level shows. And no "cold start knock" occurs.

Bowser

Folks here ask me why I stick with the OEM AC Delco PF-61 filter in my Colorado pickup -- instead of switching to Pure Ones, Mobil-1s, K & Ns, Napa Golds.... etc. Well this is why! There is no ADBV to go faulty with the PF-61.

Sounds like Amsoil may have a serious problem here.

Who is your dealer johnand? He should be your first point of contact. It frustrates me a bit because folks don't buy from me, yet I happily provide some level of support.

Are you sure this isn't an effect of slightly more restrictive media?

The new filters use a silicone ADBV - I don't know if this is related. Also, no matter what, a filter will never hold FULL of oil (a common misconception) - the ADBV will hold slightly less than 1/2 full at best.

Bowser - it's hard to say this is the ADBV. I don't a half full filter would effect your oil level so much.

I don't understand your statement 777? If your car doesn't need a ADBV why would this effect you?

Pablo,

I am my dealer. I have been a dealer for over 10 years. I guess I should have posted that. I have not contacted AMSOIL tech yet, just wanted to see if anyone else was having the problem, or what you guys thought. I guess it could be the more restrictive media. It isn't a real big deal, just makes me a touch nervous, as it causes my timing chain rattle. The car has 200K, an I don't want to replace the chain, tensioners, and guides.

Pablo

It effects me because AC is the only filter without an ADBV for that Colorado. It effects me because of the financial situation GM has -- the financial situation their suppliers are facing...ie... cutting corners.

I would love to buy more efficient filters -- even if they have the ADBV, but reasons like this thread are stopping me from looking. I would rather reduce my odds of ADBV failure to zero & stay with a mediocre ADBV-free AC Delco PF-61.

quote:

GM only puts that filter on vertical mounts. Won't a faulty ADBV possibly go into bypass mode?

Never heard of this happening. This would mean "stuck closed". Scary. I can't imagine this ever happening. What we are talking about is a possible slight leak back to the with engine when shut down.

As I stated earlier - I doubt a small amount of oil leaking back out of the filter shouldn't cause a drastic dipstick reading delta.

Just an observation.

Why would the Amsoil EAO oil filters be free flowing in both directions, as though they are not air-tight as compared to NAPA Gold, PureOne, Mobil 1, and Amsoil SDF filters? These are new filters.

I simply blew into the threaded end of each filter listed. All seemed to be reasonably air tight accept for the Amsoil EAO filter which had no resistance, as though the ADBV was not there.

Anyone?

Bowser

quote:

Bowser - what part #, and could you see the ADBV?

It's the Amsoil EaO64 with the nitrile ADBV.

The filters I examined are nitrile (AC Delco PF 59 equivalents), with the exception of the Amsoil SDF 24 which is silicon.

Again, all filters where reasonably air-tight when blown into the threaded end, except the EaO64, which had no resistance what so ever.

Bowser

quote:

That doesn't make any sense. The Ea064 should have a silcone ADBV. SDF24 should have nitrile.

It's more than obvious that I had erred. You must be gloating.

Anyway, the oil filters I purchased will be returned to Amsoil as defective. No future purchases will be made at Amsoil.

Bowser

I am not gloating. Why would you think that? I didn't think you erred.

The filters are both defective?

I'm trying to help - gathering information is usually the first step.

Bowser ..relax ...one swallow does not the summer make. What would happen if you get one bad Wix in the future ..then one bad PureOne ..then one bad Baldwin ...Donaldson ..and any Champ in their various offerings
confused.gif
No product ever produced by man has been 100% perfect.

..but it is your money and your call
dunno.gif

I'm curious..what does blowing into an unused filter through the center tube accomplish?

The filter is spun onto a stud. Oil enters through the inlet holes goes through the media and out through the center tube.

When you shut the engine off. The anti-drain prevents oil from draining out of the filter when inverted or horizontal mount.

Oil is thicker than "air". Will have more "weight" pressing down on the anti-drain to hold it over the inlet holes.

And worse case if the anti-drain doesn't work, it takes about a second at the flow rate the oil pump puts out when you start the engine to refill the filter. With the by-pass working properly you engine is not starved of oil anyway.

But still don't know why people blow into a filter down the center tube..
dunno.gif

Maybe SAE or ISO should have that test. I'm sure the lab tech would relish that test...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back