delco or stp from auto zone or hastings premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the three choices. I have search what my area has. Any noticable difference.

1. Delco and stp are available autozone for $2.69
2. Of top tier a Hastings Premium is available for $4.29.

I change oil when my GM OLM tells me to or 12k(Amsoil, lately Schaeffer's) with a switch of oil filters at 6k. Have been using Baldwin can not get anymore. I heard Hastings was similar to Hastings. Keeps hearing stp and delco about the same. Chevy Lumina 189k, 12k oci since 20k.

Thanks for suggestions!

Up until recently I used nothing but the Hastings. I now buy napa gold online for the same price that I could buy hastings locally. If the delco is USA made ( says duraguard on the box ) I would use it. If it's Mexican made, I wouldn't. I have seen a few of the Mexican ones with rust in them.

I use STP oil filters (Champion brand) as they have a high rate of oil flow. Obviously this means the other side suffers - filtration (still pretty small). But if you don't go 20,000 miles on your oil you should be ok.

I did notice that they have: "Made in Indonesia" not sure if that is good or bad.

Whatever you do don't look at particle counts to see if the filter is filtering anything.

Bladwin Filters make the Hastings filter. If you can not locate the Bladwin, let me know, and I will assist. The Hastings filters are now producted in the Baldwin Factory. There may be old stock around, and you might get a true Hastings filter.
MagAoidh

I'd go with the AC-delco. They should filter better then the hastings, and are top quality.

Thanks for the responses! I looked at the delco today and noticed inside a heavy coating of silcone glue? inside near the bottom. There was about 50 filters after 9 for 9 of having this flaw(if it is one) i stopped. So i think i would have no problems with the STP or Hastings. I read differently on the supertech. Prob a good filter but some posters def noticed a difference between STP and ST when tore apart. The hastings seems to well crafter. IMHO

If I could buy PF 1177's for $2.89, I wouldn't use anything else. The STP and Hastings equivalents I cut up were about the same inside except they only had 2/3 the media area of the AC. May as well use ST as STP or Hastings. Better flow can come from more media.

Personal opinion here. I would go with the e-core design. I think the higher flow on these comes from the nylon center tube. When my current stash of filters depletes I will try these e-core out and compare the UOA to the non-ecore to see if anything changes.

Good luck with your choice.

The STP 3950 on my truck will come off next month. It will be chopped open and compared to the last ST 3950, and reported here. I seemed to have missed the reports of ST/STP comparisons other than my old one showing a little more area in the STP, 189 to the 171 of the ST. Does not justify a 45% higher cost to me. I will take all the STP's I can get at free after rebate.

I can't believe the manufactures put enough media in the filters that the limit on oil flow was the holes in the metal center tube. I see the plastic cores as only having the material the media needs for support, and not helping flow.

If I understand you correctly labman you are saying the plastic e-cores hinder flow? I don't see how this is possible????

Yeah, that was worded poorly. What I was trying to say is that the media controls the flow, or at least the non bypassed flow. Adding more flow at the center tube will not improve over all flow if there was plenty before.

My old truck won't go over 80. If they raise the speed limit to 90, I still can't go any faster in it.

I think I have a slightly differnt view then. I see the nylon center tube allowing more volume of oil through over any given period of time as compared to a stamped metal tube.

Pressure - may - might possibly- drop a little but the volume of oil moving through at a slightly lower pressure would be greater.

Champion labs web site even states this on thier website that testing has showed higher flow characteristics.

I do believe a media capable of filtering smaller particles will also affect flow. However, I like the nylon center tube idea as it doesn't restrict flow by nature of its design as compared to the old technology of stamped tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back