Open carry states

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered...is a holster in plain sight that covers the pistol from view (think European Police Holster)....open carry or concealed carry??

IN is also an open carry state.

Ours is a "PPP" (personal protection permit) and does not specifiy open or concealed carry.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Add Pennsylvania. http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry

Except for:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless: (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

To summarize, open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a License To Carry Firearms except in "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia) and vehicles where a License To Carry Firearms is required to do so.

Licensing is just about a formality here and lets me pre-load all my mags before driving to the range.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Licensing is just about a formality here and lets me pre-load all my mags before driving to the range.

Interestingly, the indoor ranges here will not let you shoot preloaded mags if you're shooting rifle. Too many guys have XM-855 or other steel core ammo that tears up their backstops, so they want to see the ammo in its original box, or they want to run a magnet over it.

Outdoor isn't an issue...

So, I end up doing a lot of loading at the range...

In Indiana we can open or conceal carry handguns with a license. Long guns can be open carried, and can be in vehicles loaded. Our guns laws are decent, and getting better! Starting July 1 the school roaming law ends and permit holders may have a gun locked in their cars on school properties.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Have to agree with JustinH. I have had my permit for many years and I also see no need for open carry. Tends to freak folks out and I just don't see a reason for it.

BIG +1
Besides, why ruin the surprise for the Bad Guys?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
I always wondered...is a holster in plain sight that covers the pistol from view (think European Police Holster)....open carry or concealed carry??

Depends on state law. Some statutes are worded that if any part of the gun is visible, it is no longer concealed.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I actually think the whole United States should be open carry. I think "The right to keep and bear arms" individual rights should over ride states and city laws.

^^This

I can understand different laws in big cities. There are so many people in a congested area, being sure of your backstop can be next to impossible.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: ammolab

Depends on state law. Some statutes are worded that if any part of the gun is visible, it is no longer concealed.

Open carry has to be contextual - in some areas and regions of the country no one raises an eyebrow, like if you go into a rural diner in Az a S&W holstered on your belt no one is going to get excited or likely even notice. In other areas and places in the US you know darn well if you do that you are going to scare and alarm folks for no good reason. Open carry fanatics that walk into crowded urban restaurants with a AR15 are rude attention seeking idiots and are looking for trouble which will certainly find them if they keep looking hard enough.

Concealed Carry laws in the US are a mess. I have a CC license in Texas and carry pretty regularly. The laws detailing what is allowed and not allowed for CC permit holders vary by state. There are buildings and certain types of businesses a cc holder cannot legally enter, certain specific signs can be posted by any business to keep you out. And all of the details can vary by state even though many states honor other states CC permits - but the local rules apply, which means I can CC in other states that honor the Texas permit I just have to keep all the rule variances straight in my head. Bottom line for me is if I pass the required extensive checks to be licensed to concealed carry a weapon, I should be able to carry that weapon into any location. Why am I allowed to walk thru a crowded mall with a 9mm in my pocket but not in my post office...makes no sense. Maybe not onto airplanes - I could understand that. CC holders are the folks you want around if something goes badly wrong in any public place - they are typically not going to meekly surrender and cower in fear to some nut-bag coward walking around shooting innocent people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney

Open carry has to be contextual - in some areas and regions of the country no one raises an eyebrow, like if you go into a rural diner in Az a S&W holstered on your belt no one is going to get excited or likely even notice. In other areas and places in the US you know darn well if you do that you are going to scare and alarm folks for no good reason. Open carry fanatics that walk into crowded urban restaurants with a AR15 are rude attention seeking idiots and are looking for trouble which will certainly find them if they keep looking hard enough.

Concealed Carry laws in the US are a mess. I have a CC license in Texas and carry pretty regularly. The laws detailing what is allowed and not allowed for CC permit holders vary by state. There are buildings and certain types of businesses a cc holder cannot legally enter, certain specific signs can be posted by any business to keep you out. And all of the details can vary by state even though many states honor other states CC permits - but the local rules apply, which means I can CC in other states that honor the Texas permit I just have to keep all the rule variances straight in my head. Bottom line for me is if I pass the required extensive checks to be licensed to concealed carry a weapon, I should be able to carry that weapon into any location. Why am I allowed to walk thru a crowded mall with a 9mm in my pocket but not in my post office...makes no sense. Maybe not onto airplanes - I could understand that. CC holders are the folks you want around if something goes badly wrong in any public place - they are typically not going to meekly surrender and cower in fear to some nut-bag coward walking around shooting innocent people.
Concealed carry fanatics wanting to carry guns wherever they want with no respect for nobody cause they took a feeble class and paid the money for a license.

See how that works buddy?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: cashmoney

Concealed carry fanatics wanting to carry guns wherever they want with no respect for nobody cause they took a feeble class and paid the money for a license.

See how that works buddy?

...wow your post makes perfect sense, as long as you don't actually think about it.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense. You blast others for exercising their gun rights but then whine and bellyache about other people not supporting "your" gun rights.

Effective Oct. 4, 2014, ALL of Missouri will be OPEN CARRY eligible for anyone with a carry permit (regardless of state of issue). Municipalities that allowed it for anyone before will still allow it (whether you have a permit or not) and municipalities that never allowed it before (St Louis and KC) will look for ways to crack down on anyone who is open carrying, despite a requirement in the law that open carrying is not a justifiable reason for the police to stop someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back