quality/entry level muzzle loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is looking to purchase his first muzzle stuffer and is looking to me for advice. As of the past 6-7 years ive stuck with the same rifle (savage model 10 modern/smokeless) so im completely out of the loop on a good suggestion for him. There are CV's starting as low as $140 at walmart and the price and im assuming quality climb from there.. I dont want to send him to Rural king for a $75 buble plastic kit gun (yes they do work) however i know your at the bottom of the barrel with those.. So suggestions for a guy on a budget.

Some of the "nicer" CVA models like the optima are pretty decent for the money. he could get into one of their better models for around ~$300. I've sort of been looking at getting one myself. I will likely purchase CVA's Optima series with the 416 fluted stainless barrel, Camo stock, and scope mount. It is a lot of Gun for ~$300. i've seen them for less if you can catch a sale add. here is a link to the Gun im talking about.

http://www.cvamuzzleloaders.org/cva_optima_muzzleloader.html

Last edited:
I can only contribute a question, which is: Why a muzzle-loader? I AM NOT trying to flame you or start unpleasantness, I just don't understand the attraction and I'd like to know more.
BTW, are those kit guns really all that bad?

For me in Indiana we have a short firearms season for deer. we are also limited to shotguns or pistol caliber rifles that are larger than .357 magnum to hunt with. Muzzleloading season gives us a chance to hunt an extra 2 week session and also the muzzleloader has more effective range than a slugged shotgun, so id say for me its a chance to hunt here with a "rifle" even if it is and ancient design.

I'd just go ahead and spend what I was on a decent rifle, but on a muzzle loader.

I've tried to go cheap in the past. If you do your research it can be done.

However, many times you get what you pay for.
I have a few BP rifles and pistols, and you can feel and see the difference in quality.

BTW, $300 buys a LOT from a muzzle loading rifle.

Several years ago I purchased a .54 Traditions percussion rifle from Cabellas.....nice rifle, accurate, fiberglass ramrod, hardwood stock and blued steel hardware. IIRC, it was $140. You don't see many .54's around anymore.

I don't hunt but I collect and target shoot and wanted a .54 to keep my .32 Kentucky, .50 TC Hawken, Uberti .44 1860, and Dixie Arms (Pedersoli) 10 ga company. I would recommend this rifle to anyone.

Edit - I saw one on Armslist.com a minute ago, used for $140.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
For me in Indiana we have a short firearms season for deer. we are also limited to shotguns or pistol caliber rifles that are larger than .357 magnum to hunt with. Muzzleloading season gives us a chance to hunt an extra 2 week session and also the muzzleloader has more effective range than a slugged shotgun, so id say for me its a chance to hunt here with a "rifle" even if it is and ancient design.

2cool, this posting from a fellow Indiana Resident sums it up nicely. I started with a 20 Ga then moved on to 12ga Then i moved on to .44 CARBINE, then i moved on to .44 pistol, My father got me into muzzle loaders, kinda a father son tradition for us. My friend likes my Savage rig and wants to get involved.. Thus my post.

OtisBlkR1, I too started with a 20ga mossberg 500 smooth-bore. Im now using a .44 Mag carbine. It's definitely worlds better than the 20ga at any distance. Good luck Hunting this season! Dad's trail cam has spotted some real beauties down here in southern Indiana.

I'm a Knight guy, somewhat older Elites and Extremes. They can usually be had in the $250 range. If used you really need an inspection, preferable by someone familiar with Knight M-L's.

Most guys just buy a cheapie made in Spain. When he buys one show him how to operate and clean it.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
OtisBlkR1, I too started with a 20ga mossberg 500 smooth-bore. Im now using a .44 Mag carbine. It's definitely worlds better than the 20ga at any distance. Good luck Hunting this season! Dad's trail cam has spotted some real beauties down here in southern Indiana.

my 77/44 .44 is my hunting weapon of choice most days, 100-130 yards is easy shooting !

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I'm a Knight guy, somewhat older Elites and Extremes. They can usually be had in the $250 range. If used you really need an inspection, preferable by someone familiar with Knight M-L's.

Most guys just buy a cheapie made in Spain. When he buys one show him how to operate and clean it.

Oh i will, Im pointing him towards the CV's and once he buys in ill help him along.

OFF TOPIC my friend is using a 450 bushmaster and 200 yard shots are gravy, He claims the weapon and loads are rated (compensated of course) out to 300 yards and still maintaining plaenty of knockdown power. Ive been chewing on that as a future option myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back