PQIA Tests High Mileage Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was waiting for this also... i am partial to PHM i always liked that oil
My second would be max life which was one of the first i believe

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Glad to see they finally did this. The NOACK on the Maxlife is very nice.

That is a licensed dexos1 oil, so it would bode them well to have their ducks in a row this time.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Glad to see they finally did this. The NOACK on the Maxlife is very nice.

That is a licensed dexos1 oil, so it would bode them well to have their ducks in a row this time.

After that Nextgen 5w20 hiccup, it's a nice comeback for sure.

Very nice, thanks Tom! Next up in the series - 0W-20 - they are becoming increasingly more relevant in today's market.

I rank as follows :
1. Pennzoil High Mileage
2. *Max Life
3. Super Tech HM
4. Peak HM
5. **Defy

* Lower NOACK but the useage of Sodium is a cheap additive which I don't care for.
** As stated , Defy is not really a HM oil with seal additives , etc. However what I did learn is that a mix of Pennzoil HM and Defy may prove beneficial in a older Jeep 4.0L engine.

Thanks, Tom! Something for everyone in this group. Can't wait to see the follow-up.

I like what I see in Defy for flat tappet OHV engines. Second best viscosity at 100C while still reasonable at -30C, strongest Zinc, one of the better Noack's, strong TBN. Of course Pennzoil has to max out most of the add pack.

Really, all of the products are good.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Really, all of the products are good.

As seems typical these days. But nuttin' wrong with Maxlife IMO.

Pick a brand with the correct ratings and use with confidence, they are likely to exceed the need...

Last edited:
Thank you...!! I was debating on sending a sample to Blackstone for a VOA , now I don't have to.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Why exclude Castrol HM? Wouldn't hurt to include synthetic HMs either.

This is just the first batch, Tom advised more test results next week.

Peak = Supertech. TBN, P, Ca, Na are all the same, and viscosity is within 4%.

Valvoline's viscosity is about the same as Peak & Supertech, but TBN is higher, and NOACK is much better.

I have newfound respect for Defy.

I did notice that the PEAK sample tested was flagged for being over the allowable NOACK spec ...We'll see how that shakes out .

Nice work PQIA I have been begging for this for years!

Both SOPUS products in this round look very strong. But I have had far too much positive experience with Maxlife to discount it.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I did notice that the PEAK sample tested was flagged for being over the allowable NOACK spec ...We'll see how that shakes out .

It was tagged but it was still in the expanded range. I would not worry about using it.

Interesting. I'm surprised at the ML viscosity, I would've expected a HM oil to be on the thicker end of the spectrum just because of how people always suggest going to a thicker oil to slow down leaks.

MaxLife is SN/GF-5, so they have only so much room to move with respect to thickness in the 30 grade range.

Along the lines of Approvals, I'm wondering if Maxlife is the only ACEA A1 HM (synblend) oil as well.

Last edited:
That's quite possible. I haven't seen any other ACEA approvals, although M1 HM might be A3 or something; we don't have that product up here so I can't check a bottle.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is A1/A5 and the 10W-30/40 are A3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back