oil for my '15 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad ran 10w30 T5 in his 2012 6.7 for the first few changes, but has been using Mobil Delvac 15w40 since. He's convinced that the 40wt is smoother and quieter, with no measurable difference in fuel economy. They are all approved in the manual, and the Delvac is cheaper while still being a great oil. If it were mine, especially in Texas, I'd just run whichever 15w40 HDEO you prefer.

Hi Guys!

First post here.

I joined specifically to check out the requirements for my '11 6.7 Ford Diesel. (bought almost 1 yr. ago used) Some questions have been answered in this post. Some knowledgeable peeps here for sure.

After reading "Motor Oil University" I came away with this loud & clear.

1. 90%+ wear on an engine is at start up.

2. No motor oil is thin enough at start up to prevent wear.
A. Remember, all oils are too thick at start up. There is no such thing as an oil that is too thin below 100°F. The thinnest motor oil made is still too thick at start up temperatures of 75°F.

I have been using Rotella T 15w-40 for years in my diesels. Actually I use this oil in alot of gas engines too. Without consulting my owners manual I used this oil in my '11 6.7. Lucky it meets spec. CJ-4.

Looks like to me for the average user (me) the best viscosity would be either the 0w-30/40 oils.

Never used an 0w oil before. Someone ease my conscience please!

Thanks in advance...

Stan
WV

Originally Posted By: Whymee

I would say no problem. However, one minor problem would be availability and possibly cost. Some 0w-XX CJ-4 HDEOs are readily available, and cheaply, up here. That may not be the case in your state.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Whymee

I would say no problem. However, one minor problem would be availability and possibly cost. Some 0w-XX CJ-4 HDEOs are readily available, and cheaply, up here. That may not be the case in your state.

I didn't realize the availability would be a problem. But you are correct. Nothing available around me that I can find.

Looks like I wont get to try 0w after all.
frown.gif

Thanks for the responses gents!

Stan

If you are set on trying it, you may have to find a distributor. Rotella's 0w-30 and 0w-40 may be available down there from Shell itself. Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 won't be available down there, but Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 might be. Petro-Canada's stuff might be, if you can locate a distributor. Motorcraft's HDEO was already mentioned. I didn't even know they had one like that.

I would just choose a 10w-30 and call it a day as you're never see cold enough weather to justify the expense of a 0w.

I believe that the 10-30W claims to give you 1% better fuel economy than the 5-40W

If you figure getting 10mpg towing then you gain .1mpg. On a 2000 mile trip you would save 2 gallons of diesel fuel. At the typical 17mpg unloaded hwy mpg you gain .17mpg
I will stick with the 40W which is what Ford recommends for my 6.7L Powerstroke if you tow heavy or long distances.

Oil weight, whether it gains .05mpg or not by running a 10W30 vs a 5W40 is really a moot point on new Ford trucks that drop a valve every 60,000 miles or so at $20,000 repair bill. Just run oil, then hope for the best, pray more like it.

I have been running purous full syn 5w40 in my 2012 6.7 ford and I change it every 7500 mi and no problems so far...my service guy said its good oil and put a lot of it in...I have 75,000 miles on it now..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littleboss
I believe that the 10-30W claims to give you 1% better fuel economy than the 5-40W

If you figure getting 10mpg towing then you gain .1mpg. On a 2000 mile trip you would save 2 gallons of diesel fuel. At the typical 17mpg unloaded hwy mpg you gain .17mpg
I will stick with the 40W which is what Ford recommends for my 6.7L Powerstroke if you tow heavy or long distances.

15w40 is recommended if you tow heavy >5k over %50 of the oil change interval and/or >B5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back