is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the filter in my 02 ecotec motor (pure 1) after 4000 miles and the once straight pleats are all bent and crooked. The filter was still holding a ton of oil even after the engine was cold. Is it normal for the pleats to deform like this after use? Does it even make a difference? I am trying to decide whether or not to keep using the Pure 1 or not.

Thanks
 -

-

THanks. I have always used OEM Ac Delco filters up until now so I have never bothered to inspect them.

I wonder if the it was just a little too high, and got scrunched? I have been using the L15435 with no problems.

I notice the purolator premium plus box in the background, did you replace the pure one with a premium plus? if so how did the two compare, just different media or anything else of note?

Yes I just replaced the Pure 1 with a premium plus. The pure 1 was a much thicker, blue media before it went in. The premium plus is a normal thickness white media.

If that's the way it looks all around the filter ..then it is probably just a case of the media being a little too long for the can. Sometimes they spiral instead of "squatting"

It looked warped like that around the entire filter. Yes it was a cartridge style filter. The premium plus I just installed was straight. I have another pure 1 at home I can get a picture of for everyone to compare to. I will trey to get that on here tonight.

The interesting thing is that the older AC Delco filters had a zip-zag pleat pattern instead of a straight one. They must have switched manufacturers at some point.

Your first picture is blurry, but it looks like the filter caught a lot of gunk in between the pleats.

(If your camera has a macro ("flower icon") setting, use that to get good close ups)

Here are a couple better pics of the old and new filters. These are big.

BEFORE:

-

-

AFTER:

-

-

I am more concerned about the ability of the filter to continue to filter oil properly even when the pleats get warped like this. If it doesn't make a difference, then I don't care, but I am no expert so I am looking for some input.

Did the OEM filter ever do that?

Well, I too just swapped a Mazda OEM filter with the Purolater Pureone cartridge.
In 6 months when I remove it and if it looks like the above, I will go back to OEM.

I don't believe the AC Delco filters were quite this warped but I have not paid much attention. The last 2 I was in an apartment so I took the car in to have the oil changed instead of trying to do it in the carport. I switched from M1 5w30/AC Delco to GC/Pure 1 from all the great reviews on this site. I am very happy with the GC just not sure what to make of this filter. I sent an e-mail with the pictures to Purolator's tech dept so we will see what they have to say.

I will get a better close up and a picture of the brand new filter for comparison.

Just got a response back from Purolator. Theie CS department is FAST! Great service...

The condition of the filter after 4k miles is not necessarily anything to be
concerned about. As long as the media is not torn or ruptured the integrity
of the element is still there.

This condition can occur in normal operating conditions; however we are
going to double check the application to insure the overall height of the
element is correct. Can you please let me know what model and year this
filter was used on.

In addition if you would like to send the filter in to our claims lab we can
verify the integrity of the element.

Thanks for your interest in our filtration products, we value each and every
customer.

Regards,

Richard Hedgepeth
Product Engineering Manager
Arvinmeritor/Purolator

According to my buddy at work, he think's that you may have left the old O-ring inside the engine.

Thus you are compressing the filter.

Just a thought.

This is a cartridge style filter and simply clips on to the cap. There is a rubber ring attached to that cap that does not come off. Are you referring to the tiny rubber ring that is attached to the end of the filer? I will double check to see if there are any obstructions later just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back