All synthetic dexos1 equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a jug of motomaster synthetic oil, which is basicly shell synthetic, but its not dexos logo certified on the container, should i still use it? It meet the exact same spec as pennzoil platinum ....

Just because an oil is synthetic does not mean it can pass Dexos1 spec....

Dexos-ILSA.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just because an oil is synthetic does not mean it can pass Dexos1 spec....

Dexos-ILSA.jpg

Cool graph.

Is it for real though. As in is that how dexos is compared to gf-4 and 5.

If so it's an improvement on every level,and would only make sense to use it vs even a gf-5 lube.
Or is each brands gf-5 a bit different in the scale.
For example PU gf-5 isn't dexos is it,whereas pp is. Does this mean pp with the dexos label is better than gf-5 ultra,or how does this work exactly?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Does this mean pp with the dexos label is better than gf-5 ultra,or how does this work exactly?

No, it does not mean that. It just means that SOPUS has decided not to certify PU against dexos1, possibly because they don't want to pay additional royalty fees to GM.

For example PU gf-5 isn't dexos is it,whereas pp is. Does this mean pp with the dexos label is better than gf-5 ultra,or how does this work exactly?

No, it does not mean that. It just means that SOPUS has decided not to certify PU against dexos1, possibly because they don't want to pay additional royalty fees to GM.

Fair enough.
Not that I blame sopus for not wanting to cut the general a cheque however you'd think that they'd want their flagship product approved and certified for new cars.
It's almost like they've alienated their best product to save a few pennies,when the big picture is considered.
So what does that picture mean then exactly. Is it a comparo of the bare minimum gf-5 has to pass vs dexos?
I'm going to assume that's exactly what it means.
And not all gf-5 oils are made the same so in reality a top tier product like ultra for example though it isn't dexos stamped could in all reality be equal or better than dexos,right?
Too much hypothetical here for me. My head hurts now.

Thanks though Quattro. I think I know what your saying.

I checked the bottles last fall during a CT sale.

The Motomaster says Meets all warranty requirements.

The PP says Exceeds all warranty requirements.

I walked out with the PP.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I checked the bottles last fall during a CT sale.

The Motomaster says Meets all warranty requirements.

The PP says Exceeds all warranty requirements.

I walked out with the PP.

Man, this is giving me headach, meet all warranty should that mean dexos1 as well??

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Man, this is giving me headach, meet all warranty should that mean dexos1 as well??

If you're really worried about warranty requirements, buy something with the dexos1 license. If you simply want an appropriate lube, I doubt there are any concerns at all with the CT branded synthetic.

Use it. The 1.8 in your Cruze LS won't know the difference. It's a easy engine on oil, unlike the 1.4T in higher trims.

So what does that picture mean then exactly. Is it a comparo of the bare minimum gf-5 has to pass vs dexos?

Correct. That is the idea behind all industry and mfg specs - it's a pass/fail type of a thing. Unless you have access to the actual test data, you will never know by how much a given oil has actually surpassed the bare minimum stipulated by the spec.

Fair enough.
Not that I blame sopus for not wanting to cut the general a cheque however you'd think that they'd want their flagship product approved and certified for new cars.
It's almost like they've alienated their best product to save a few pennies,when the big picture is considered.
I'm going to assume that's exactly what it means.
And not all gf-5 oils are made the same so in reality a top tier product like ultra for example though it isn't dexos stamped could in all reality be equal or better than dexos,right?
Too much hypothetical here for me. My head hurts now.

Thanks though Quattro. I think I know what your saying.

SOPUS products are put in new Chrysler Group vehicles. I have yet to find another brand that meet the spec for new Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep

Use the Motomaster with confidence
smile.gif

Shell just didn't feel like giving even more illegitimate unearned income to GM on top of what they already pay for PP and QSUD

Valvoline's synthetics just started paying the fee now, and are listed on the dexos site, but the bottles don't reflect this yet; currently they say dexos1 but without the logo.

Why fight any oil company's battle. Clevy's question is a good one and any answer that includes anything other than a 'yes, you are correct, PU does not meet, or more importantly, have dexos1 approval because it isnt on the products list of approvals', is purely speculative. We may all 'feel, think, surmise' that it does (with good reason) but the fact remains, if the spec isn't on the bottle, it isnt on the bottle. PU being the example in this case only.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wolf_06

If you're really worried about warranty requirements, buy something with the dexos1 license. If you simply want an appropriate lube, I doubt there are any concerns at all with the CT branded synthetic.

+1

Correct. That is the idea behind all industry and mfg specs - it's a pass/fail type of a thing. Unless you have access to the actual test data, you will never know by how much a given oil has actually surpassed the bare minimum stipulated by the spec.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
SOPUS products are put in new Chrysler Group vehicles. I have yet to find another brand that meet the spec for new Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep

Valvoline Synpower and Havoline Synthetic both meet Chrysler MS-6395 in the 0W-20. There may be a few others. M1 still does not AFAIK.

you'd think that they'd want their flagship product approved and certified for new cars.
It's almost like they've alienated their best product to save a few pennies

Originally Posted By: wemay
it isnt on the bottle. PU being the example in this case only.

ALL Pennzoil synthetic products are now dexos certified (in the appropriate viscosity).

Of course the old style Ultra bottles beginning in 2009-2010 were not.

Silly chart shouldn't scare you. Conventional GF5 minimal requirements vs synth dexos isn't even a fair comparison.

I would have no problem using the full synthetic motormaster stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back