Thinking that used tires are a waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I put four of These on my Tacoma this year. I did lots of research and I think it was the best bang for my buck. They'll do an easy pay plan if you need to.
i started another thread a few months ago about those.they are terrible! once they wear about 20% they lose their sipes and become useless trash.

What absolute garbage for tires, and a waste of money. Claimed to be at 7-8/32!!!

$_12.JPG

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I put four of These on my Tacoma this year. I did lots of research and I think it was the best bang for my buck. They'll do an easy pay plan if you need to.
i started another thread a few months ago about those.they are terrible! once they wear about 20% they lose their sipes and become useless trash.
exactly! i had to write a letter to americas tire to get them replaced. terrible in wet,mud etc like that.i lost big $$$ on them.

What absolute garbage for tires, and a waste of money. Claimed to be at 7-8/32!!!

$_12.JPG

I bought used tires once but never again..they lasted one season..and were dangerous by the end of the season..Get new ones and you wont need to have used ones mounted and balanced etc every year. That, along with the time spent searching for them..i think finding a decent deal on new ones is overall a better value and much safer. Not worth cheaping out on tires, i almost lost control and went into a ditch with used ones..who knows if I would of survived had i not stopped in time. Your safety (and whoever rides with you) and life is easily worth the 8 bills.

I purchase used tires as my first option. Why not? A new tire is used as soon as it hits the road. I just purchased 2 tires to fit one of my current vehicles, $30 each and for all intents and purposes wre new by a few hundred miles till the car got into an accident.

I just watch Craig's list, a couple of the salvage yards list their tires available, so the buys are there, and my local repair shop installs for $10 each balance included. Life is good.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
https://www.treadwright.com/ might be a solution for someone looking for between new tires and used tires.

robert

THOSE ARE RECAPS. EVERY SINGLE ONE WILL THROW ITS TREAD AND KILL ALL MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY AND EVERYONE'S FIRST BORN CHILD WHO IS ON THE ROAD WHEN YOU ARE USING THEM. RECAP TIRES ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS THING ON THE PLANET.

Sorry - I had to before someone else does. Treadwright tires are good with me. If I had a full size pickup, I couldn't even imagine myself buying anything else. My next set of tires probably won't be from them because they stopped making a mud tire in the size I want.

$_12.JPG

Sounds like a good opportunity to buy a tire groover and go to town! I believe there is a Kumho AT tire that does the same thing.

Furthermore, I once bought used tires for $15 each, installed on my van. They came off a new pickup with less than 500 miles on it that was t-boned by a semi. Now try to tell me those tires were not worth the bucksI spent, $60 for 4 tires mounted & balanced. BTW, I watched them come off the totaled pickup.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I purchase used tires as my first option. Why not? A new tire is used as soon as it hits the road.

The difference between used tires unknown to you and used tires that you bought new is you know the history of your used tires. You don't know the history of someone else's used tires. Most used tires are commodity items that were taken off another car for *some reason*. You rarely know what that reason is. It could be that the car was wrecked and the tires are just fine. It could be that the belts on the tires had slipped and they're a blow-out waiting to happen.

Unless I personally know the history of a tire, it does not go on my vehicle. I'd certainly buy a used set of tires from someone I know, who can attest to the history of them. I'll never buy a used set of tires off eBay or Craigslist, no matter how good the seller claims they are. They may be absolutely fine. They may not. The risk I take with an unknown tire is never worth the money I would save. But we all have to draw our own line in the sand on that. We all have our own idea of where the risk/reward ratio is favorable to us.

This is a great example of how looking at pictures of used tires on eBay can be extremely helpful, even when purchasing new tires. Higher-cost tires generally retain their sipes longer through the tire's life than less expensive tires do. It seems to be cheaper to design a good-handling tire when the siping is only shallow depth (tread block structure is easy to maintain). It's harder to design a tire that retains good siping throughout its life, but that also performs well when new with acceptable levels of tread block squirm.

I tend to avoid tires that look like the aforepictured one (did I just coin a new word there?). Losing siping doesn't guarantee a loss in wet/winter performance as it wears, but it certainly doesn't help.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I purchase used tires as my first option. Why not? A new tire is used as soon as it hits the road.

The difference between used tires unknown to you and used tires that you bought new is you know the history of your used tires. You don't know the history of someone else's used tires. Most used tires are commodity items that were taken off another car for *some reason*. You rarely know what that reason is. It could be that the car was wrecked and the tires are just fine. It could be that the belts on the tires had slipped and they're a blow-out waiting to happen.

You can hedge your bets by buying from a junkyard where a car could have died of rust, emissions testing, or a wreck. Buying from a tire store is about the worst idea. Even if they have a junkyard connection, they're adding markup.

Buying from a private party "on the rim", even if the rims don't fit your car, shows that someone did run those tires, might have liked them, and might have scrapped the car with snow tires on etc.

The cost of mounting is a non issue if you own your own gear, which can make or break the financial sensibility of buying used.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You can hedge your bets by buying from a junkyard where a car could have died of rust, emissions testing, or a wreck. Buying from a tire store is about the worst idea. Even if they have a junkyard connection, they're adding markup.

Buying from a private party "on the rim", even if the rims don't fit your car, shows that someone did run those tires, might have liked them, and might have scrapped the car with snow tires on etc.

The cost of mounting is a non issue if you own your own gear, which can make or break the financial sensibility of buying used.

90% of cars in junkyards here died of rust

No. I had a tire that I damaged the side wall. I manged to find a used tire to match it. Only 2 years old and looked identical to the other 3. I found it on ebay and it was shipped to my front door. Saved about $75.
I have since gone straight to the company's web site and ordered a few used tire.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
No. I had a tire that I damaged the side wall. I manged to find a used tire to match it. Only 2 years old and looked identical to the other 3. I found it on ebay and it was shipped to my front door. Saved about $75.
I have since gone straight to the company's web site and ordered a few used tire.

Its good to hear somebody got a good deal. Any specifics about the brand, etc?

I have bought a couple of tires of ebay. They were new, old stock. Shipping was kind of high, but tires are kind of big.

Back in the mid-90's, I bought a used Firestone FR480 from a Goodyear dealer, to match a set on a 1990 Mercury Cougar.

I bought the car used, and someone had plugged one tire, right where the tread rolls up into the sidewall. The previous owner told me that it went flat, and he found that there was a key (as in a door key) stuck in the tire.

Not sure how he got someone to plug it, but it happened. That used tire performed just fine, until the car needed a new set.

update: pep boys put there tires on sale for comercial customers.i got 4 of there dakota mud tires for $105 each+tax. made by cooper in usa i believe.

anyway they are new,not unknown used ones.

From CL/Ebay I bought five 17" Ventus ES4 tires mounted/balanced for half the cost of new...$375...I did specify when buying them that I would not accept a tire with any patch/repair.

Last edited:
The decent deals on craigslist are far and few between. Most people think their tires are gold or something. They're either asking 80% of the new tire price (sometimes more), or the tires are date coded ten years old.

Fair price for a new tire with no warranty from a private party on craigslist is 50% of retail. Why would I want to go through the trouble of setting up a time to meet, and pay nearly full price, when I can go down the street anytime at my convenience and get tires that are guaranteed? Some sellers just don't get it.

I try craigslist, but usually end up buying from Tirerack or Costco.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I buy new tires from DTD with rebates and have them mounted locally.

Tire are cheap considering how many years of use per set.

Yep that's the way to do it. Buy all 4 and get the best deal and rebate. Mount when needed. This way I've managed to buy the best tires at the same or less cost than the cost of average tires if I go in on an as needed basis.

I also agree tires are very cheap in the overall cost of owning a car. Over a several year lifetime, the cost difference between the top tires and cheaper tires is negligible. But the difference in performance is significant.

IMHO, never waste your money on used tires. Save up and buy new.

In the past I have bought used tires. At the time I thought it was a wise financial decision. But in the long run I learned that it doesn't save as much as it would seem. I soon noticed that over time I was spending more on used tires than a set of new tires would be.

Consider that a fair portion of the expense for a set of tires, used or new, is mounting and balancing, and in many states, tire disposal fees. These costs are fixed for either used or new. The longer a tire lasts, the less per mile for these expenses. Used tire wears out sooner. You put another set of used tires on, perhaps 15k miles later, and you are paying for mounting, balancing, and disposal fees all over again. You may pay these fees 3 or 4 times with used tires, in the same time that a set of new tires would last.

Also consider that most better tire stores, such as Discount Tire, will give you free flat repair, rotation, and balancing on new tires. This is very unlikely on a set of used tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back