2004 & 2006 Ford Diesel oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Everyone:

At work today I was put in charge of keeping up on the maintenance of the two company trucks. One is a 2004 Ford Diesel 4x2 with 249,xxx miles on it and the other is a 2006 Ford Diesel 4x4 with 100,xxx on it. Both are automatics. I have read many bad things about some of these engines from these years and need all the assistance BITOG members can provide. I guess Ford had a few years where their diesels gave owners trouble.

First off, there are no records that I am aware of. The trucks have been taken to the local quick lube every 10,000 miles and had the oil changed. I have no idea what is in the crankcase other than "its supposed to be 100% synthetic oil". When something went wrong or goes wrong, the vehicle was/is brought to the dealer. I would like to bring up the quality of life on these vehicles and the first place to start is the engine oil, trans fluid and rear ends. I have read a lot of good things about Shell Rotella but knowing nothing about diesel engines I need your assistance.

These vehicles are used for deliveries, sales calls and basic work related transportation for a handful of employees. They are in good condition and don't have a really hard life.

Besides fluid recommendations, does anyone know of a good shop I can take these to on the Eastside or Northeast side of Atlanta? Norcross, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Buford, Suwanee, Chamblee, etc. I am thinking that all the fluids need to be replaced with syn fluids.

TIA for your input.

I ran a 6.0 Ford E-350 cargo van over 250K on a steady diet of Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40, every 5000 miles-at the time the company got rid of it due to losing reverse gear in the transmission, burned & leaked very little oil (less than a quart per oil change). Now that 10W30 is more readily available in diesel oils, that's the way to go, any of the major brands would do great, up to 7500 miles. I would stick with Motorcraft oil filters, too. Also, get the Premium Gold out of the cooling system & replace with a good HD coolant such as Peak Final Charge or other Cat EC-1 rated antifreeze-your EGR & oil coolers will last a lot longer!

I have over 350,000 mi. in the seat of two of these, best trucks I have ever owned to date. The 6.0 has an awful bad rap, mostly because of poorly maintained, tuners added, and dirty cooling systems.

I have been running 10w-30 for 130,xxx mi. and its the only viscosity oil I will run, with excellent UOA's to back my decision up.

The other fluids mentioned are factory synthetic with no drain interval mentioned unless axles are submerged. It wouldn't hurt to change, the Motorcraft fluid is very good.

Flushing cooling system should be job one, with a good back flush before refilling.

As mentioned Motorcraft/Racor filters are a MUST with this engine, make sure the filters have factory caps.

I go 7,500 mi. on the oil, 15,000 mi. on the fuel filters, don't forget the frame mounted fuel filter/water separator.

Personally I use John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30, check out the HDEO UOA section as I have many posted there and you can compare different choices. Contrary to common belief synthetic oil is not needed with this engine for longevity, just common sense maintainence.

Thanks for the input.

Why is the use of a Motorcraft so important on these engines?

I'll have to look at the radiator fluid tomorrow and see what color is in there.

Motorcraft filters (Racor) ;

Oil, proper height is required to depress anti-drainback valve in the housing. Racor holds the patent on the filter, so for any aftermarket filter to be able to be used it cannot be identical. Some manufacturers designed a different cap to be used with their filter, so when you go back to factory filter the engine won't run.

Fuel, basically same as oil, Racor holds patent and their filters have a special water membrane covering the filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back