24" Unbreakable Breaker Bar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
black iron pipe from home depot, slipped over the end of a 1/2" craftsman ratchet.

Nothing steel is unbreakable. That said, I have that 1/2" 2ft breaker bar from HF as well, I've gotten that thing to even bend a little but it hasn't broken.

At one time, Snap-on used to sell an alternate brand of tools called Par-X (kind of like Craftsman vs Companion but Par-X were much tougher just not as pretty as Snap-on)....I still use them 40 years later and the 20" breaker bar has had numerous cheater pipes used on it and no breakage. As a matter of fact I still have the entire 1/2" drive socket set minus the 9/16" socket that I lost years and years ago.

I use the 25" HF breaker bar a lot too but I have seen those break (specifically on an E-39 rear axle nut).

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed the recent influx of black oxidized.Pittsburgh sockets at harbor freight. I'm current saving up for a set of German hand tools for the shop... and carry around a full set of kobalt in my rig.

I went in there the other day and noticed the black Pittsburgh tools, couldn't find a country of origin on the ratchet I was looking at...but the action was smooth smooth smooth, the weight was good, and it felt nothing like a usual Chinese ratchet.

ID swear that was a rebadged Japanese unit if my eyes were closed.

HF does seem to have some better than typical stuff locally. I do not knock HF because without them I would have few tools.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
HF does seem to have some better than typical stuff locally. I do not knock HF because without them I would have few tools.
smile.gif

I bought another one of their 25" breaker bars the other day for about $9 on sale to keep in my Century for changing flats. For the money there is nothing on the market that can beat it. Please note I said for the money, there are better breaker bars, but not for $9. JMO

I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive 18" bar -- stamped with "USA" -- that I tried to use a few weeks back to remove the differential drain/fill bolts in my Subaru. Never been removed before and they were in TIGHT. I was using it with a correct-sized square socket, not using the drive end of the bar itself to engage the bolt. The way the drive end seemed to be flexing did not inspire confidence and I was worried it was gonna break. I ended up reverting to the "pipe on a ratchet" method, ironically using an old made in China Powerbuilt ratchet I've been trying to break for years (my first ratchet).

Maybe I'm not giving the breaker bar enough credit but it certainly gave me pause. The ratchet managed without any trouble.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
smile.gif

I bought another one of their 25" breaker bars the other day for about $9 on sale to keep in my Century for changing flats. For the money there is nothing on the market that can beat it. Please note I said for the money, there are better breaker bars, but not for $9. JMO

I agreed. Since I rarely use breaker bar, $9-10 for HF 25" is a good buy.

After reading this topic I bought 4 HF 25" breaker bars at the Natick, MA store as Christmas presents for my sons along with my 2 cars so we can get the lug nuts off. All were made in China. I stopped by after Christmas and their new stock was made in Taiwan. I bought one more and compared it to the China version and it was definitely beefier. I then proceeded to bring back 3 of the China versions and had no problem exchanging them for the Taiwan versions. And there are different SKU numbers for the 2 versions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RMBC73
After reading this topic I bought 4 HF 25" breaker bars at the Natick, MA store as Christmas presents for my sons along with my 2 cars so we can get the lug nuts off. All were made in China. I stopped by after Christmas and their new stock was made in Taiwan. I bought one more and compared it to the China version and it was definitely beefier. I then proceeded to bring back 3 of the China versions and had no problem exchanging them for the Taiwan versions. And there are different SKU numbers for the 2 versions.

That's good to know, I'll have to check mine.

Try getting a used U.S.A. made one. I have several by Plumb, Williams that I picked up for just a dollar or two over the years at estate, yard sales. My favorite Plumb has been used with a 5' pipe to tighten axle nuts; it will bend a scary amount, but always springs right back.

I keep a 24" Wright Tool 4434 in my home chest.
DSC00080.JPG

DSC00082.JPG

In my car I keep a Taiwan Pittsburgh Pro.
DSC00001.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

I did manage to break one of the HF 1/2'' drive breaker bars.

It had been used pretty severely before, though. Had a 6' pipe on it under a Hyundai (4 post lift) to change out a lower control arm. Ended up shearing the bolt off.

I used it to break numerous axle nuts with a 36'' pipe. Lugnuts (thank you, Walmart) and really frozen caliper bracket bolts.

It finally broke while in a junkyard. A friend and I were looking for spare axle shafts. We found a really really rusty jeep and wanted to see if we could get the axle nut off. Two of us were picking up on the end of a 48'' pipe that was affixed to the end of the 25'' breaker bar. At least 5.5 feet of leverage. It was so much that we managed to pick the front of the Jeep off of the jackstands ... then it broke.

Definitely not disappointed with it. Was surprised that it took that much to break.

I replaced it with the 3/4'' drive breaker bar. THAT is a serious bar!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

It had been used pretty severely before, though. Had a 6' pipe on it under a Hyundai (4 post lift) to change out a lower control arm. Ended up shearing the bolt off.

I used it to break numerous axle nuts with a 36'' pipe. Lugnuts (thank you, Walmart) and really frozen caliper bracket bolts.

It finally broke while in a junkyard. A friend and I were looking for spare axle shafts. We found a really really rusty jeep and wanted to see if we could get the axle nut off. Two of us were picking up on the end of a 48'' pipe that was affixed to the end of the 25'' breaker bar. At least 5.5 feet of leverage. It was so much that we managed to pick the front of the Jeep off of the jackstands ... then it broke.

Definitely not disappointed with it. Was surprised that it took that much to break.

Did you try returning it to see if they'd honor the Lifetime Warranty?

Didn't have a receipt so I didn't bother. Would they have honored it without the receipt?

Plus, I felt like I got my use from it.

Didn't have a receipt so I didn't bother. Would they have honored it without the receipt?

Plus, I felt like I got my use from it.

I hear ya! I was just wondering, I think they'd take it back abused, and now w/o a receipt. I abused several Craftsman tools over the years and they always made good on them no questions asked. Your breaker bar would have been the perfect test of HF's warranty. LOL

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I keep a 24" Wright Tool 4434 in my home chest.
DSC00080.JPG

I have that same Wright breaker bar. It has served me well over and over again. It goes with us when we go on road trips. Good to have for the vehicle and the trailer. It was second hand and given to me in addition to my tool chest or else I would have bought the HF model.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back