repair or replace exterior door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our dog chewed an area in the door the size of basketball. Not all the way throu but a big section. Can it be repaired or must it be replaced. This is one of those times where cheaper is better.

Depends what are your requirements and goals.

Are you really having trouble making decisions for yourself? Not sure what is question you are going to the internet to ask help with.

This is almost like asking "what should I eat for lunch?"

I'm sure it could be repaired with the right skillset, but that would likely cause more than the new part.

Hopefully you have Comprehensive coverage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Are you really having trouble making decisions for yourself? Not sure what is question you are going to the internet to ask help with.

How so? I've never repaired a door. What would be the correct way to do such a job?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I've never repaired a door. What would be the correct way to do such a job?

I think you just answered your own question, boss.

I'm asking if a door like this can be effectively repaired and if so how like what materials work best.....jeeeez tough crowd.

It really depends on what you want to do, where the door is located and if you care deeply how it looks.

If it's a front door and the chewed part is facing the street where everyone can see it, then by all means, replace it. You want your house to look nice and be a plus and a benefit to the neighborhood.

If it's a back door or a side door that no one can see or is at least out of the way, then have a go at repairing it.

The options for repair are many, depending on your skill level and what you'll settle for in terms of "repair." It could be something as simple as a scrap piece of plywood or even sheet metal nailed or screwed over the hole. If you want to get really creative, you can cut some short boards and create a design, (diamond, herring bone, etc). You'll not only cover the hole, but have fun with the project and end up making something cool you can talk about.

As I see it, especially if it's a back door, you really have nothing to loose in trying to repair it - especially if you have some scraps laying around. It could be a neat Saturday project. Worse case would be you waste some time experimenting and still end up buying a door - so what - have fun and good luck.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Your post brings nothing of substance to the main subject matter. If you don't like his question, please don't post. As for "what should I eat for lunch?", I would suggest something healthy and nutritious, adhering to the ideal Biblical diet.

If this is a wood door, I would suggest some paneling, and get some trim, stain and you would have a little kick panel, install trim with trim nails, and use a hand miter box for the corners.

Last edited:
google something goofy, like "how to repair a dog chewed door".lots of data.
not a tough crowd. if you would try and do a search BEFORE asking such questions, you would not get replies such as raytseng's.no disrespect,but many on the board believe that you have poor problem solving skills -- hence the replies.try searching first, next time. just a suggestion. good luck.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Train your dog not to chew doors.

Then get a new door.

Better yet...get a new Dog.

Finish out the hole so that it's a workable shape ,oval or round .Square is ok as long as its splinter free and cut fairly smooth.

Use wood strips (like paint stir sticks)roughly 1.5 times the hole Diameter. use as many as you need to create the inner backing. Slide the strips into the door,between the wood strips and door use heavy mesh or screen to take the wood filler. Afix them from the side you're working with drywall screws or similar,leave finger slots to pull the srips toward you. You'll see the screwheads but you'll be removing them after the wood filler sets.Sand, paint.

In layers.. damaged door, under that..screen, then strips secures from the worked side,you can (way)undersize the screw holes for the strips right into the door from the outside then when you rig the strips within the door your pilot holes are already there.

Edit: you can even just hot glue the strips inside and not even need to breakout the drill.

Last edited:
Our dog chewed an area in the door the size of basketball. Not all the way throu but a big section. Can it be repaired or must it be replaced. This is one of those times where cheaper is better.

You might consider a wood putty... Something from Home Depot or lowes. Min wax makes a product... Others, too, I'm sure That stuff can smell, however, so when you say Basketball sized, how deep? If it has to be layered on for drying purposes, it may take a while as the first layer must dry/cure before the next layer goes on and that could take time... All the while stinking up the joint

At least I think you can layer this stuff

Someone mentioned patching.., with a laminate or something. That might work out very well, too

Is/will the door be painted? If so, lots of options. If stained or natural, your choices are few and far between, unfortunately

Possible to get a pic posted?

What is the door set in? If it is brick, they're easy to replace. If they're set in siding, then setting the new brick mold into the siding never looks right.

I've replaced all the doors in my house, but in all cases they were in a brick frame,and were easy.

I wouldn't do anything until you're sure that the dog's behavior has changed, and you can be assured that he won't do it again.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scurvy
I've never repaired a door. What would be the correct way to do such a job?

I think you just answered your own question, boss.

LOL

Need some pictures. What is the door material? Where is the damage?

Sure, some screwed in plywood and some weatherstripping could very likely "fix" it (and look horrible). Options only get better, and more time consuming, and more difficult, but with a better result, from there.

Also consider the season. Its not summer anymore, and its still a few months off from heating season, so if its not a weather or security issue, perhaps you could put it off a bit.

It's actually a wood door no fancy design just a plain wood door. The house is a stick built home with vinyl siding . I was wondering if there is a durable putty that could be worked in and fix it

I don't see how a putty would be able to fix something the size of a basketball, if it is a hole. Is it just scratches? Again, need to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back