Koni FSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to installing the Koni FSDs on my Mazdaspeed 3. While I had it apart I went ahead and installed new OEM strut mounts, strut bearings, and front bump stops. After @1000 miles on the FSDs I couldn't be more pleased- especially for the modest price($585 delivered from Tire Rack).

Keeping in mind the fact that the OEM struts/shocks were well and truly shot, the FSDs were unquestionably a tremendous improvement. They really do work as advertised, providing high damping for low frequency ride motions and low damping for high frequency ride motions. The result is a comfortable and less "busy" ride coupled with a damping rate that is appropriate for a high level of performance while cornering and braking.

I will be fitting my summer rubber in a few days(I'm currently running Cooper Zeon RS3-As) so I should get a somewhat better idea of how the FSDs perform. The only other suspension tweak I'm considering is a JBR adjustable rear anti-roll bar; I really want to dial out the remaining understeer.

It seems to depend on the platform; for example, the MINI crowd appears to like them a lot, while most BMW folk don't seem to like them very much- if at all.

The thing is, for my purposes on my particular car they are an excellent choice. If I wanted the ultimate in handling I would be looking at H&R or KW coilovers or a spring/damper set such as the Bilstein Pro-Kit- any of which would cost at least twice as much as my setup.

Does anyone make a coilover conversion for the Koni double adjustable Sport 'yellows' for your car??

I wonder how much you give up in ULTIMATE handling with the FSDs over the DA yellows on a firm rebound/compression setting, even though, YES, the ride quality will obviously suffer much?
21.gif

(Does Koni even make the DA yellows for your model??)

I personally care little about ride quality (IF I want a living room couch ride I will buy an old Caddy, or Town Car) to the point that IF I could afford them, this car would have Moton, or Penske multi-adjustable reservoir dampers under coilover springs.
wink.gif

Some compliance in the suspension is necessary for absorbing mid-corner bumps without sending the car flying. It's possible to have bonkers handling while maintaining a decent ride. The car likely can handle better, but whether you want to drive it at that point is another story!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does anyone make a coilover conversion for the Koni double adjustable Sport 'yellows' for your car??

I wonder how much you give up in ULTIMATE handling with the FSDs over the DA yellows on a firm rebound/compression setting, even though, YES, the ride quality will obviously suffer much?
21.gif

I already have one track car that is a bit more suited for HPDEs. One of the reasons I bought the MS3 was to better acquaint myself with FWD handling characteristics as I was seeing more GTIs, Minis, and such at the CCA HPDEs where I instruct. I didn't want to lower the ride height because the MS3 is a daily driver year round and I put 1,000-2,000 miles on it each month just driving to my various assignments.

As for giving up "ULTIMATE" handling, Lee Grimes is Performance Automotive Product Manager at Koni America and he too has a 1st Generation MS3; the Konis he installed?
FSDs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
As for giving up "ULTIMATE" handling, Lee Grimes is Performance Automotive Product Manager at Koni America and he too has a 1st Generation MS3; the Konis he installed?
FSDs

That answers it ALL then, since I've had MANY conversations with Lee about my DA yellows, and what he suggests for the coilover spring rates they can handle with the stock valving.

The man knows his S***!!!
thumbsup2.gif
(I might even consider these next IF/WHEN the yellows die, and are possibly not covered by the lifetime warranty since they were converted to coilovers with a GC kit.)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That answers it ALL then, since I've had MANY conversations with Lee about my DA yellows, and what he suggests for the coilover spring rates they can handle with the stock valving.

The man knows his S***!!!
thumbsup2.gif
(I might even consider these next IF/WHEN the yellows die, and are possibly not covered by the lifetime warranty since they were converted to coilovers with a GC kit.)
wink.gif

Well, like I mentioned in an earlier post, FSDs seem to work better on some platforms than others- based on what I've read on some forums, anyway. That said, if Lee recommended them for your car I'd be extremely confident about going with them.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the review. These are my first choice in replacements when the MINI needs struts. It already is a firm car so I don't want to go Yellow, and I don't want it lower on our WI roads. They're 25% off right now at Tire Rack so maybe this will push me over the edge. I don't need them yet as the ride is fine and I just passed 25k miles.

I also bought mine when Tire Rack had them on sale. It is a very good deal.

If y'all don't mind the thread revival...

Handling-wise, I've been hearing that FSDs do well right up to 7 or 8 tenths, but kind of fall apart after that. Has that been your experience?

Not so far; haven't tracked them yet, but no problems on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back