Legend Performance 2 stroke oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched the forum a little bit and came up empty on info about this oil.
Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.legendperformance.com/products-page-2/2stroke/zx-2sr/

from what comments I have read on other boat/ski forums it is very clean burning for not being a true synth. Cost wise it appears to be a bit more expensive than Amsoil`s Interceptor even at the preferred program pricing. I`ve also read where Amsoil users have switched over to legend lubricants bc of eye witnessed results in engine tear down, blow by, cylinder glazing, and the lack of oil film during a few week standy/idle time using Amsoil.

I`m not familiar with this product, but if it protects the steel liners/cylinder walls from rusting due to moisture in the wet exhaust systems, it`s got to be better.

I can say that interceptor does not protect the steel cylinder liners after just one week of mixing a 40:1 ratio, and that`s pretty poor performance and extended wear and tear on the engines...

Thanks...PR...

It appears no one here is using this oil. It's a shame because it is a excellent oil. I don't have any outboards but have been using zx-2sr in my two stroke Lawn Boy mowers and in a chain saw for the last 4 years. When I first read about the oil on the manufacturers website it hit home with me. I had just taken apart an engine that was run on a synthetic two cycle oil and found the cylinder to be oil glazed. If you have ever seen oil glazing, it is a orange/brown coating on the cylinder walls that the piston and rings will ride right over and never scrape off and which obviously prevents the rings from sealing. The only way to remove it once it forms is to disassemble the engine and manually or chemically remove it. I found paint remover to work well. What also interested me about the manufacturers (Legend) claims is the ability of their oil to burn cleanly with little to no smoke and leave a castor scent. So I bought a case and started using it. I'm impressed with this oil. After 4 seasons of using zx-2sr in the Lawn Boys the ports are clear and the inside of the muffler has a dry light tan color at the hot end and a brown color (slightly damp) at the cooler end. Never looked that clean with the other oils I used. Also, the cylinder walls viewed through the ports are shiny, the rings are free and top of the piston has the same dry tan color as in the muffler. There is no smoke that I can see with this oil and it does have a castor scent. To sum it up this oil did exactly what the manufacturer said it would.

That`s great news. I don`t know if I`ll get to try this oil out or not with having 3 more gallons of Amsoil Interceptor on the shelf.
My concern was rust due to down time in between runs. Although Amoils has been doing a good job of lubricating my 4 and 2 stroke ski`s and boats in the past, and I`m also using it in my ECHO gas back pack blower, I do see the brown residue on the seadoo cylinder walls and have seen the blow by in the yamaha. Even tho it yielded great compression.

With amsoil the exhaust was dry in the longer custom exhaust pipes in the boat, but black in color. The piston crown has VG piston wash but also the black/brown color associated with premixing.
No doubt the oil injected engines burn cleaner at a leaner oil ratio at low rpms which also result in cleaner RAVE guillotines.

my main concern is any rust forming due to the moisture you can not get out of the exhaust system water box or boat mufflers in between rides.

I use a SnapOn Boro scope to view the cylinders and piston crowns so I`m familiar with the appearance of the glaze and any rust forming.

I`ve read quite a few people complain at how dry the Amsoil synthetic leaves the moving parts after shut down which does not sound like a good thing.

I`m wondering if switching to legend oils will eventually "remove the glaze or clean" the cylinder walls after so many hours of run time???

Thanks for your reply Mike72

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back