Can I use this in my sportster transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quart of 75/90 mobile 1 gear oil left over from something. I hate to waste anything and wanted to know if this is safe to use? Thanks.

Check with the dealer or manual or online to be sure, but I use the 75-90 & the 75-110 in my Softail Heritage Classic, so I would say yes.

What I listed is the right grade range for Harley's, NOT std motor oil.

Just need to be sure the Piglet is no different.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...low_Metals.aspx

Mobil recommends against it. I have read of stator problems in the Sportsters and many/most were using mobil gear oil. I think the sportster is spec'd for a gl-1.

I've heard some time ago where they were looking into the Buell's increased stator failures using it - that was good enough for me not to use it.

It has 15 50 in i5 now. What wouod be ideal? I dont want to help the HD stealership.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
It has 15 50 in i5 now. What wouod be ideal? I dont want to help the HD stealership.

Thanks. IM going to put 15 50 in it because I have an odd quart to use up. I just hate it that I have this gear oil and no use for it.

This transmission is clunky going into 1st gear and always has been for some reason. ONce you get going it shifts almost as slick as a honda and downshifts good too if you rev match.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Mobil1Vtwin 20w50

I am probaby going to switch to this in the future for the transmission/ primary. Im probably going to Shell Rotella T6 in the future for the engine. These motorcycle specific oils are too rich for my wallet.

I use the mobil1 v-twin 20w50 in my sportster trans/primary,but the rotella t6 would probably be just as good. Somewhere in the FAQ section on Mobils website it actually recommended their 10w40 over the 20w50 for the trans/primary.

My current fill is 2 quarts of valvoline vr1 20w50 and 1vr1 sae 50w. With the mobil v-twin in the primary. When the weather cools down I may use some PP 5w50 I got for $2 a quart in the engine. After that I have 3cases of the synthetic vr1 20w50 that should last many engine oil changes,I just can not decide what to use for now on in the primary. I have 4 gallons of t6 I picked up for $14 a gallon.

Last edited:
The transmission and primary share a quart of oil of the Sportster models. Like the others have said - the gear oil is suspected of causing premature stator failures. GL-5 gear oil can be unfriendly to yellow metals and there's a lot of copper windings in there. Just saying.

The Harley Formula+ is basically a mineral oil with little or no additives, but does have a decent flash point. There's a UOA out here somewhere if you search for it.

Think about this: the metric bikes share the crankcase and the transmission and they all use regular motor oil.

We've run Valvoline 20W-50 for many years in Sportster transmissions/primaries and not had a problem.

Rotella 15W-40 also appears to work well. Never tried the 5W-40 variety.

The Mobil 1 and Amsoil motorcycle-specific oils will also work well.

Well I still have my 1st bike, 97 Sportster and I run Amsoil 20-50 in both the engine and the transmission/primary.

If I didn't run the Amsoil, I'd probably be running the Valvoline 20W-50 in the transmission/primary.

Without looking it up and if I recall correctly, the viscosity charts show the 20-50 engine oils are close to a 75wt gear oil.
And its been awhile but I think the recommended spec is for GL-1 or something like that.

Draining/changing the transmission/primary once a year it comes out still looking like new. The magnetic plug hardly has any fuzzy too. But then again it doesn't get the yearly mileage as the other bikes but I'll still change it every year.

Last couple years its been getting harder to catch my Amsoil oil guy, so if it becomes a hit and miss chasing him down for a couple weeks come near the end of winter, then I'll consider changing to something other than Amsoil.

Any Sportster will run fine on 20w50 in both sumps. Or you can use Rotella 15w40 if you are on a budget. I would recommend a JASO for the trans/clutch. Mine always ran fine on syn3 or M120w50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back