C-Clip axles and disc brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking the rear brakes on my 02 Silverado I noticed there is noticeable play on the drivers side rear axle shaft. Whenever I would make left turns I could hear the left rear brakes squeak slightly (that's why I'm checking the brakes.) I'm guessing whenever I'm making left turns the axle/brake disc pulls out and is dragging on the outer brake pad. Any way to reduce the slop in that axle?

C-clip axles don't really have any way to address it without getting clever. You could pull it apart and see if the groove in the axle is wide enough to allow a thicker clip, or a shim clip beside the current one. I've heard of the "bend the clip" trick to essentially create a wave clip, but I can't believe that doesn't still allow the same movement under hard cornering- sure, it keeps the axle in place when you tug on it by hand, but when the clip is resisting the side-loading caused by the mass of the car in a corner, its bound to flatten back out and let the axle move.

When my Sierra was new the axles had no discernible play but, as the truck aged, the axles have some end play. If I jack up the rear of the truck and tug on the wheels the play is very noticeable.

How much play? You will always have some, but, if its excessive it should be addressed.
I rebuilt the traction-lok in the CVPI because axle shaft endplay was about 1/8". On that style LSD as the clutches wear the endplay increases. After rebuild the end play was .010 and .012 L/R.

Check for wear on the clips also. These have 0.15 wear, not much but when it has 0.35 it brings it down to 0.20.
SAM_1283.jpg

This is why I ALWAYS replace the c clips with brand new ones EVERY time the axles are removed for ANY reason, even though many say it is not necessary.

It is very cheap insurance to do so.
wink.gif

That's weird. I wouldn't think they would wear at all. I mean, they just sit against the side gears; Which the axle shafts are splined to, of course. I'll have to check this out.

The whole face doesn't wear just the small area there it touches the axle. This was after 100+K . Most of the time its just a shiny area but its worth measuring IMO when dealing with excessive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back