Duralast filter....is anyone using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in AutoZone today and noticed Duralast oil filters on the shelf next to the M-1 oil filters. I'm pretty certain they are Champion Labs manufactured. They have the same black color as the new M-1 EP oil filters, but they have two types: Duralast and Duralast Gold.

Both types looked well made. The "gold" ranged in price from $5.50 to $6.99. The "gold" also mentioned about the use of synthetic media in the filter.

Has anyone tried this filter? A search under "duralast" turned up zilch.

C'mon guys, it ain't a trick question.

I can't believe that BITOGers are without an opinion on something oil related!

Guesses, speculation, or even (Oh my G*d!), an "I don't know the answer?"

How about, "Has anyone even heard of Duralast oil filters (not batteries) and remotely know anything about them?

Or are they too new?

I probably go to Autozone once a week and I have never seen the filters. They must be new or not at my part of the sticks. I will have to check them out.

Was the STP and Valucraft still on the shelves? Might be a local thing. I know Cincinnati is one of those marketing cities by democraphics that new items are tried out before going nationwide.

Hootbro

I don't know anything about them but it seems that Autozone finally has their stuff together and it seems like their Duralast stuff is good quality stuff. Give them a try.

Good point, Hootbro. Now that you mention it, there were no STP filters on the shelf and no Valucraft, as well.

Autozone took out over half their fram filters, all stp, and all their bosch. From what my co-workers and i can tell the duralast is just a stp and the gold is a bosch. Could be wrong though.

So basically STP, Bosch, DuraLast, ValueCraft and SuperTech are basically the same filter with different paint on the can?

quote'' So basically STP, Bosch, DuraLast, ValueCraft and SuperTech are basically the same filter with different paint on the can?''

Made by doesn't mean made the same. In some cases stuff comes of the line and goes in different boxes. In others, very different materials and specs are used. A hack saw will answer some questins, but does little to reveal media qality.

The media may be different, but construction will be identical. My belief is that Supertech media is quite good and STP media is quite poor... the others I have no idea.

I think STP still has a stigma attached to it, much like that of Slick 50. (I believe the FTC went after STP as they did Slick 50).

Valuecraft sounds like a Motorcraft knockoff.

Finally, Autozone won't have to pay for the use of the STP name.

Autozone never had to pay for the STP name as far as filters were concerned. Unless you know something I don't. Champ pays a royalty to First Brands which is STP's parent Company. Any company could buy the STP branded filter from Champ. Pep Boys, O'Reiily's, Fred Meyer, Kragen, etc...

The STP name means something, maybe even as much as Fram. Champion is going to recoup what they pay First Brands from anyone buying STP. So AZ does have to pay to have STP on their shelf.

Kantling, why do you say STP has worse media than ST? That is one area I find hard to nail down. Any fool with a hacksaw and tape measure can check how much media.

Finally got my rebate and will be installing the STP 3950 on my truch this month.

I only said that I "believe" STP has worse media than ST. I have no way of knowing for sure as labman notes, but I think my odds of being right are better than even. Lacking any proof, I'm relying on my assumptions...

1. ST filters claim a pretty high efficiency on their boxes.

2. STP filter I cut apart had very thin media relative to other filters I have seen. (Not media area, thickness.)

Somebody over on the FTE site cut both the ST and STP Ecores apart and believed the STP media was better. Possibly some synthetic. Will try to find a link.

I think more and more men demand quality products and am willing to spend a reasonable amount of money to this end.
If Autozone is smart enough to see this, they will act accordingly and do away with the low- end (*****value, STP, brand X)
Duralast "sounds better",IMO...and should be as good as any other cheap filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back