General View Of Fram Tough Guards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough Guards are one of my favorite filters and one of the few that give me no start up noise on my Jeep. Strangely enough the orange can equivalent is very similar in design to the TG yet my Jeep does not like those at start up. dlundblad I tried the predecessor to the Ultra, the Extended Guard, on my Jeep and had start up issues too. I don't consider it a knock on the filters very, very few filters on my Jeep will prevent start up rattle. The Tough Guard, the Napa Silver and Motorcraft "S" series are the only ones I've found. I am done looking.

I fail to see how posting an orange can that was apparently run way beyond it's rated usage distance has much to do with a TG thread. Kinda like posting pics of a torn Classic that was run 15k when someone is asking about a PureOne.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
dlundblad I tried the predecessor to the Ultra, the Extended Guard, on my Jeep and had start up issues too. I don't consider it a knock on the filters very, very few filters on my Jeep will prevent start up rattle. The Tough Guard, the Napa Silver and Motorcraft "S" series are the only ones I've found. I am done looking.

I have been wanting to try the other 2 Frams so this is good to know. I had forgotten about the fl400s being another good choice.
laugh.gif

LOL ! Was considering the Tough Guard for a '95 Jeep XJ 4.0L I-6...
Tough Guards are one of my favorite filters and one of the few that give me no start up noise on my Jeep. Strangely enough the orange can equivalent is very similar in design to the TG yet my Jeep does not like those at start up. dlundblad I tried the predecessor to the Ultra, the Extended Guard, on my Jeep and had start up issues too. I don't consider it a knock on the filters very, very few filters on my Jeep will prevent start up rattle. The Tough Guard, the Napa Silver and Motorcraft "S" series are the only ones I've found. I am done looking.

I fail to see how posting an orange can that was apparently run way beyond it's rated usage distance has much to do with a TG thread. Kinda like posting pics of a torn Classic that was run 15k when someone is asking about a PureOne.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
LOL ! Was considering the Tough Guard for a '95 Jeep XJ 4.0L I-6...

Try one you'll like it. I have used Tough Guards in both the FL-400s equivalent (TG3600) and the oversize FL-1A equivalent (TG8A) and had great results with both.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
abycat said:
Why are metal end caps better?

Photo courtesy of Honda civic forums

While that doesn't look great, there's technically nothing wrong with it. The filter is still doing its job. It's filtering better than a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.

exactly. Looks bad but is not at all. All I got to say is they are 100 times better than purolator...

100 Times better than Purolator...I stopped reading there
crackmeup2.gif

I take it you've missed the past 6 months of torn puro filters posted here.

I would take that fram posted above over a torn purolator anytime.
But you think puro's build quality is better than fram.
Hillarious.
Sure that picture of the fram that's posted looks distorted however once the by-pass spring is installed and the can is holding everything in place how distorted is it actually.
And I see no torn media nor any separating from the end caps,so even though it looks bad that fram is still filtering oil.
How much oil does a torn purolator filter?
Opinions eh.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
jk_636 said:
abycat said:
Why are metal end caps better?

Photo courtesy of Honda civic forums

While that doesn't look great, there's technically nothing wrong with it. The filter is still doing its job. It's filtering better than a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.

exactly. Looks bad but is not at all. All I got to say is they are 100 times better than purolator...

crackmeup2.gif

I take it you've missed the past 6 months of torn puro filters posted here.

I would take that fram posted above over a torn purolator anytime.
But you think puro's build quality is better than fram.
Hillarious.
Sure that picture of the fram that's posted looks distorted however once the by-pass spring is installed and the can is holding everything in place how distorted is it actually.
And I see no torn media nor any separating from the end caps,so even though it looks bad that fram is still filtering oil.
How much oil does a torn purolator filter?
Opinions eh.

Though not an official member for the past 6 months, I have been watching the hysteria develop.

And yes, even after all the bad publicity, I still use Purolator products. As stated before in previous posts, I have never had a Purolator of any flavor fail on me. I think that most, not all, but the majority of Purolator failures are directly attributed to using them in intervals that are longer than the filter is designed for. I have been using classics for 3k, and Pureones for up to 5k and never had an issue. Want to run an extended OCI? Go for it! But dont expect a $3 filter to last 10k, and then blame it on the manufacturer. That is what is hilarious.
smirk.gif

My 4.0L I-6 Jeep takes a TG16 Tough Guard - not sure if there is a greater capacity Tough Guard that fits ? ... Any way , looking for an upgrade over a Drive Works , Purolator Classic , etc. oil filter for a <4,500 mile OCI with 10W30 Pennzoil HM . I also like the textured end cap which is a plus .

Originally Posted By: JD4440

Need to show this to my dad. He won't use anything but a fram orange can.

Are the caps wavy when compressed in the filter housing?

You should try to separate the caps from the media. You'd have better luck separating metal endcaps.

My 4.0L I-6 Jeep takes a TG16 Tough Guard - not sure if there is a greater capacity Tough Guard that fits ? ... Any way , looking for an upgrade over a Drive Works , Purolator Classic , etc. oil filter for a div>

The TG8A is a larger filter that will work for your engine. Should be about half a quart extra.

Thanks - I will look into that ...
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My 4.0L I-6 Jeep takes a TG16 Tough Guard - not sure if there is a greater capacity Tough Guard that fits ? ... Any way , looking for an upgrade over a Drive Works , Purolator Classic , etc. oil filter for a div>

The TG8A is a larger filter that will work for your engine. Should be about half a quart extra.

The TG is a very good filter for 8-10,000 miles
Dont listen to the Fram haters on here about the construction of filters
Fram has been doing it a long time and millions of cars use them with no issues
You can show all the pictures you want of an overused filter but without any info on mileage makes it useless
From the looks of that oil I would say that engine had that oil and filter on it for too long

I'm just looking to run a HM conventional oil in my jeep for for a normal conventional oil OCI ... If the TG is built to be used in a synthetic oil application (as stated on the FRAM web site - then surely it is built to withstand a 7,500 mile synthetic oil OCI ?
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
The TG is a very good filter for 8-10,000 miles
Dont listen to the Fram haters on here about the construction of filters
Fram has been doing it a long time and millions of cars use them with no issues
You can show all the pictures you want of an overused filter but without any info on mileage makes it useless
From the looks of that oil I would say that engine had that oil and filter on it for too long

Then according to comments : Fram TG is good for 99% of most synthetic oil users needs (up to 10,000 miles OCI of non - severe driving using SN rated name brand synthetic oil .)

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
sooo..Fram uses metal end caps on their ultra line and cardboard end caps on their budget line ...I think it is pretty safe to assume that they believe metal end caps to be superior.

I thinks it's safe to assume that the metal caps are more expensive to put in a filter than are carboard. Whether they are better remains to be seen. No?

Last edited:
crackmeup2.gif

Your error. Go back and read the whole sentence.

Been using Fram oil filters since 1964. Never had an oil-related issue with an engine, and I typically put 250,000 miles on one before rebuilding or selling.

Last edited:
The Fram Ultra Guard gets hi marks for construction , flow and filtering ...What is the concensus of the Fram Tough Guard for running conventional , syn blend and full synthetics div>

It depends upon whose view you want to consider.
OTOH, you have those who've used many Fram orange cans without issue.
OTOH, you have those who merely repeat what they've seen others post.
The main rap on Fram's lower tier filters are the fiber end caps, never mind that the fiber media adhears very well to the fiber end caps and you don't see the separation of the media from the end caps that you do in some filters with metal end caps. You also don't see the media failures and base gasket seeps in Frams that you do in some similarly priced filters.
Purolator used to make my go-to low cost filters in their white can and P1.
I won't buy any more of those until the media failure issue is resolved.
Meanwhile, I'm all stocked up on Ultras which were cheap after store discounts and MIRs as well as orange cans and Tough Gaurds bought for a little bit of nothing from Lowes on closeout.
I used Fram orange cans for decades and never had a simgle problem.

What is your definition of start up rattle? My Jeep 4.0 makes a slight noise for a second or so till the oil pressure gauge swings up. Once or twice it has made a G_D awful clatter, so bad I shut the engine off fearing damage. I don't recall the filter when this happened, but it was either a Pure One or Napa Gold. Is your "rattle" catastrophic sounding, or a slight noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back