Beretta moves manufacturing to TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
I would love to see a lot more companies move to states like TN or Texas, etc. There are companies leaving California also. Eventually a message might be sent to these politicians.

And I can think of a reason not to sell to law enforcement in some of these goofy anti-gun states. I think it is in NY where they have to have a 12 lb trigger.

The "quality of life" many be better for a company in those states, but by any measure; the quality of life for the citizens isn't better. Lower taxes usually means worse schools, poorly maintained roads, fewer first responders that are also poorly equipped; but hey, you're free.....to figure it all out by yourself. There is an inescapable cost for everything! As we said in the Army, freedom isn't free.

Take the savings from taxes and put your kid in a good private school. Not nearly the needs for road upkeep in the south versus the north due to mild winters. So there is less demand for funds in some areas. And just because you pour money into things at the government level does not mean you get good results. My example is the mess that is Chicago.

Originally Posted By: 2cool

The "quality of life" many be better for a company in those states, but by any measure; the quality of life for the citizens isn't better. Lower taxes usually means worse schools, poorly maintained roads, fewer first responders that are also poorly equipped; but hey, you're free.....to figure it all out by yourself. There is an inescapable cost for everything! As we said in the Army, freedom isn't free.

You ever live in "fly over states".

LOL

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I would love to see a lot more companies move to states like TN or Texas, etc. There are companies leaving California also. Eventually a message might be sent to these politicians.

And I can think of a reason not to sell to law enforcement in some of these goofy anti-gun states. I think it is in NY where they have to have a 12 lb trigger.

Sounds like you enjoy high taxation levels.

You and I seem to be like minded. You stated this more concisely, though. This is exactly what has been going on in Texas!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

You and I seem to be like minded. You stated this more concisely, though. This is exactly what has been going on in Texas!
Have you thought about moving back to the northeast? And if not, why?

Such snobbery! Until you've lived there, I wouldn't be so quick to judge those other states. The people who live there (by birth, or by choice) would disagree with your assessment of their home.

Try saying what you just said about "those states" to a native Texan...be certain to include the bit about their inferior schools and first responders...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Have you thought about moving back to the northeast? And if not, why?

Nope. I don't even remember the NE. I left when I was 11. I have been here 38 years. I won't go anywhere until the kids are on their own. The ex lives here and here I stay for the time being.

I am "almost" a native Texan. Texas schools, if you look simply at national rankings, are inferior. But, depending upon where you are and the track you are on they can be fine.

Come on guys, the entire country has been dumbing down for years. We talk about it all the time. So, my comments purporting that Texas is worse than anywhere else really haven't been fair. I get that way sometimes. I guess you could call it a surly period.

But, the saying that "you can't get something for nothing does apply."

Back on track or the thread goes away. Talking about beretta manufacturing, not states and why whichever one is better.

If you do decide to come South please pass straight through Virginia, I hear Mississippi is great!
Originally Posted By: theKman
Originally Posted By: loneryder
I love it. Drove by that factory for years and they made a lot of guns for the military there. Feel sorry for the people working there but hope they can move to Tn where they will be happier.

I'm just curious as to why they will be happier in Tennessee. Is it the:

Higher infant mortality rate (#4 vs #10)
Higher violent crime rate (#2 vs #9)
Higher Unemployment rate (#25 vs #36)
Lower Household Income (#43 vs #1)
Higher Persons below poverty level (#49 vs #11)
(All numbers from US Census Data/BLS)

Or maybe it's just the clean Smokey Mountain Air.
Greenest State (from Forbes, no less [2007]) (#43 vs #5)

Looks to me like those left behind by Beretta will do best by staying in Maryland.

I agree. Northeasterners should definitely stay clear of dumps like TN. It's terrible there. And FL too. Never come to FL. Just awful around here. You don't know and don't want to know how bad it is.

I agree. Northeasterners should definitely stay clear of dumps like TN. It's terrible there. And FL too. Never come to FL. Just awful around here. You don't know and don't want to know how bad it is.

Totally agreed. Fl is the WORST! Do not come here...

The article from the OP is what Beretta says, but read this article and this is probably the real reason. TN has a rep of corporate welfare. What makes me angry is these foreign companies now have an unfair edge to the US companies. VW tax incentive.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The article from the OP is what Beretta says, but read this article and this is probably the real reason. TN has a rep of corporate welfare. What makes me angry is these foreign companies now have an unfair edge to the US companies. VW tax incentive.
Article is flawed. No mention of the overall economic impact of having the companies. And tax breaks aren't handouts. No company, no taxes at all coming in. No employees paying taxes, buying houses supporting businesses, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Article is flawed. No mention of the overall economic impact of having the companies. And tax breaks aren't handouts. No company, no taxes at all coming in. No employees paying taxes, buying houses supporting businesses, etc.

Makes me think the company would be better off not existing in the first place in the case of VW. Just takes away from the big 3 (or 2 depends on how you look at it). Lower paying jobs created and more money going overseas. But anyways, there are always other angles to look at things. BTW Beretta makes some nice guns.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
And.. why shouldn't they sell anything to LE in Maryland? ...

Some companies have decided to not supply states that are extremely hostile to citizens' rights.

LE works for the government. Individual officers can still go down to the gun store and buy anything that's legal to sell to civilians in the state. They just don't supply agencies with "dangerous weapons of war that shouldn't be on the street." Common sense really.

Last edited:

They just don't supply agencies with "dangerous weapons of war that shouldn't be on the street."

Like firearms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back