Well Pump Leaks/wiring/pressure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I'm going to tackle my leaking Well Pump. Thinking maybe the gasket between the motor and pump is leaking and also going to replace the shaft seal. Don't know much about them but I feel I'm capable with help from my fellow Bitoger's. Any Pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take photos to remember what goes where and note if any screws are longer/shorter than others. They need to go back in the same place to prevent problems. Also, be sure to turn the motor breaker OFF!

I assume this is a shallow well pump or jet pump rather than a submersible?

I would always assume its the seal rather than a gasket.

Remember if the shaft where the seal hits is not mirror smooth it will never seal properly for long.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Take photos to remember what goes where and note if any screws are longer/shorter than others. They need to go back in the same place to prevent problems. Also, be sure to turn the motor breaker OFF!

Yep did that. Got one bolt out....one head broke off... on two of the bolts the heads are messed up and I cant get a wrench on. Grind them down?

I decided to get a new pump. Ace hardware had a Wayne on sale for $184 so I got it. Thanks for the help. Now for the hookup.

I assume you have 120V between the black and white wire. Make sure the voltage selector is set to 120V. Connect the black and white wire to the "Line" side of the motor. You really should have a ground wire too. If there is not one in your wiring that feeds the motor, ground it to a metal pipe, or to a ground rod.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Connect the black and white wire to the "Line" side of the motor.

Yep...but what wires go to the switch? Got 120v

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Without seeing what you have there, I can't tell you. Is it not pre-wired? Can you post some pics?

Sorry dont have photobucket. Not pre-wired but were in agreement that the black and white wires in the box connect to Line on the pressure switch. I just need to know what wires go to the switch.

Normally black wires go to the switch, unless there are 4 terminals on the switch, then they both go to it. 120VAC black wire is "hot", white wire is neutral (connected to the ground bus in your breaker panel).

From the PDF the pressure switch is a DPST switch so it switches both wires whether its 220V or 110V.

Both the white and black go to the pressure switch and the motor goes to the motor.

Set the voltage selector properly.

I assume the old pump was 110V only and they only switched the hot (black) on the pressure switch. You could do that also if you wanted.

Its only 220V where both hot wires should be switched by the pressure switch.

Originally Posted By: Donald
From the PDF the pressure switch is a DPST switch so it switches both wires whether its 220V or 110V.

Both the white and black go to the pressure switch and the motor goes to the motor.

Set the voltage selector properly.

I assume the old pump was 110V only and they only switched the hot (black) on the pressure switch. You could do that also if you wanted.

Its only 220V where both hot wires should be switched by the pressure switch.

The motor was already pre-wired to the pressure switch. So are you saying that after I run a black and white wire from the pressure switch to the box....connect black to black and white to white and hook them up to the switch that way?

Uhhm, When I change pumps, I reuse the wiring from the switch Make sure the motor is set for 120 v operation . Tie the ground first, the bare conductor. Next, put white to white. In 120v ,there should continuity between the white and the ground. If you're unsure. Check it.

I got it up and running but it wont go behond 10 psi. I think I wrecked the OLD check valve when I had to heat it up to get it off(never came off) tho. Plus when I checked the pressure of the tank it reads 0. Need to fill it. Hope that's all it needs.

If this is a bladder tank then the bladder is probably leaking. If its a non-bladder tank maybe all will take is to be pressurized with air.

Pressure gauge could be bad.

If the pressure goes down when the pump shuts off (and no water usage) then the check valve is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back