Adding Mos2 in a BMW N54 engine with DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That's your opinion and that's just fine.

Heh. Two things I'm always fascinated by, in one sentence:

1. Giving unsolicited permission for things that people have already said
2. Using the word "opinion" as a euphemism for "thing I don't think should be taken seriously" (instead of what it actually means)

Passive Aggression 101!

Lots of things fascinate me here, so you're in good company.

Passive Aggression 101, OK. Sounds good.

Originally Posted By: wag123

The point of adding it is to get the MoS2.

Since, as you state, it has no affect, (I gather you mean effect), whatsoever, why use something which does nothing?

2. Using the word "opinion" as a euphemism for "thing I don't think should be taken seriously" (instead of what it actually means)

Passive Aggression 101!

Until you say that you don't need MMO with modern motor oil or gasoline that uses Techron/V-Power/Invigorate. Then you can drop the passive part.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Passive Aggression 101!

Until you say that you don't need MMO with modern motor oil or gasoline that uses Techron/V-Power/Invigorate. Then you can drop the passive part.

If you're talking to me, LOL don't hold your breath. You'll probably see pigs fly before that happens. If I have a problem or a friend has a problem that MMO has successfully resolved in the past I'm grabbing it.

So I guess I'm aggressive........
wink.gif
?? Actually I'm happy today.
smile.gif

BTW Trajan- Why are you bringing MMO into this thread?
Trolling.gif
?

Last edited:
I'm not worried about viscometrics. I'm more worried about flash point, volatility, etc. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't think there's a place for anything but tough synthetic basestocks and additives in a very high-temp turbocharged DI engine...

Putting this topic into perspective, let me give you the numbers from one widely available high quality conventional SAE30 motor oil, PYB.
flash point 460
noack 13
tbn 8
hths 3.5
Now, combine this SAE30 oil at a 22:1 ratio with whatever LL-01 oil you choose and do the math. If the carrier oil has any ester in it the numbers should be better than this.
I reiterate once again, IMHO the OP doesn't really have anything to worry about with regards to adding 10 oz of conventional SAE30 oil to his crankcase.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm overreacting...

For 300ml of 30w oil in a 7 qt sump? You think?

Does anyone with an N54 engine actually do a 15,000 mile OCI?

Since, as you state, it has no affect, (I gather you mean effect), whatsoever, why use something which does nothing?

I'm talking about the SAE30 carrier oil.
The MoS2 itself DOES something!

Go whine at this guy:

Originally Posted By: Trav

No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better.
Why did VW recommend its use but no longer does? Why was it sold at MB dealers back in the early 80's for diesels but no longer? Molykote even calls theirs a gear lube now, which is probably one of the applications it does well along with greases.

IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also.

I'm talking about the SAE30 carrier oil.
The MoS2 itself DOES something!

Besides taking money, there is no evidence it does something. If there is, let's see it. No anecdotes or testimonials, but concrete evidence.

Besides taking money, there is no evidence it does something. If there is, let's see it. No anecdotes or testimonials, but concrete evidence.

Already posted, but let's repeat it. MoS² sticks to friction surfaces like this and absorbs oil on itself:

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00818/13416710.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00145/13414511.jpg

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx/EFFCFBE2FDD1299DC12578D40050A684/$file/TI%20MoS2%20Leichtlauf.pdf

Liqui Moly says though, that benefits of MoS² are greater with an old and worn engine.

Last edited:

Go whine at this guy:

No one is going to convince me that MoS2 will improve synthetic oils that meet manufacturer spec. There is zero evidence it helps this oil do anything better.
Why did VW recommend its use but no longer does? Why was it sold at MB dealers back in the early 80's for diesels but no longer? Molykote even calls theirs a gear lube now, which is probably one of the applications it does well along with greases.

IMHO This stuff is the mechanical braking system of oil additives, its day has come and long gone but for a few die hards who are unwilling to accept that time has moved on and oil technology has also.

LOL Troll on brother. At least he stayed on topic, and he's a good friend. All I did was answer a question about the carrier oil and explained how it helped my mower. Looking for a fight? Maybe in another thread at another time. LOL

All I did was answer a question about the carrier oil and explained how it helped my mower.

I also use MoS2 in my mower. It is 21 years old and still running strong. It is used once a week, and in Texas we use our mowers year round, sometimes in over 100 degree heat. 21 years use here is the equivalent of over 30 years use in northern states like Wisconsin or Minnesota! Can this long life be specifically attributed to using MoS2? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch

Already posted, but let's repeat it. MoS² sticks to friction surfaces like this and absorbs oil on itself:

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00818/13416710.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00145/13414511.jpg

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx/EFFCFBE2FDD1299DC12578D40050A684/$file/TI%20MoS2%20Leichtlauf.pdf

Liqui Moly says though, that benefits of MoS² are greater with an old and worn engine.

Looks the same to me.

Go whine at this guy:

LOL Troll on brother.

So in other words, you not going to whine to the guy who said it's useless. I say it's useless, and you whine. Your buddy says the same thing using more words, and the silence from you is ear shattering...... So troll away sister.

Last edited:
All I did was answer a question about the carrier oil and explained how it helped my mower.

I also use MoS2 in my mower. It is 21 years old and still running strong. It is used once a week, and in Texas we use our mowers year round, sometimes in over 100 degree heat. 21 years use here is the equivalent of over 30 years use in northern states like Wisconsin or Minnesota! Can this long life be specifically attributed to using MoS2? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

I found my mower several years ago behind a Sears service center that repaired them. It needed a blade, and some carb work and a spark plug. It blew smoke when it first started and used a bit of oil. It wasn't enough to warrant a rebuild. I learned about MoS2 here and thought I'd give it a try, it stopped blowing smoke and using oil. I believe the MoS2 filled some scratches or scuffs in the cylinder wall. The mower is going strong several years later. At the end of each season, I fog it, drain the oil, and fill the sump less 2-3 ounces of oil. At the beginning of the season I top it up with LM MoS2 and call it good. Did it help? The smart money says yes.

I tried straight 30 grade, 10W30, 5W30, and 5W40, they all worked about the same 5W40 had a slight edge. MoS2 and whatever 5W30 I have laying around is what it gets now. Problem solved, several seasons now.

Besides the thousands of personal use testimonials over the last 30+ years, here ya go...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/applications-for-lubrication/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/what-is-blow-by/
The second page is especially telling. Does it do something? Yes, it does!

So does fully formulated motor oil IIRC. As noted above,

There are two types of moly:

1.) a colloidal suspension of MoS2 powders in a carrier, usually used in grease formulations,

2.) solube moly or MoDTC and MoDTP. The MoDTC is the most used soluble moly in PCMO formulations with MoDTP used in gear lube formulations.

MoDTC is already a component in the PI package in most PCMOs these days.

So which one is it?

So what does it do again that current PCMOs can't?

Personal testimonials are the dream of a product's marketing department. They are not reliable without evidence to support them.

Last edited:
So which one is it?

MoS2. No one has suggested a consumer source for MoDTC or MoDTP. The title of the thread contains the phrase "MoS2"

Up to 50% less engine wear. Reduces oil and fuel consumption. Reduce parasitic engine heat. Reduce or prevent blow-by. Longer engine life. Safeguards against break-downs and repairs.

There are two types of moly:

1.) a colloidal suspension of MoS2 powders in a carrier, usually used in grease formulations,

2.) solube moly or MoDTC and MoDTP. The MoDTC is the most used soluble moly in PCMO formulations with MoDTP used in gear lube formulations.

MoDTC is already a component in the PI package in most PCMOs these days.

So which one is it?

You didn't actually read those pages about MoS2 that our host has provided Trajan. The answers to both of your questions are there in black and white, with Scanning Electron Microscope pictures to prove it, right here on this website! If you DID read them, you have a reading comprehension problem.

Personal testimonials are the dream of a product's marketing department. They are not reliable without evidence to support them.

Forget all of the testimonials from quite a few people like myself that have been using the product for many years. You asked me to provide you with concrete evidence that MoS2 actually does what they say it does. I provided you with concrete evidence. So did Nebroch (who you immediately dismissed).
Now, let's turn this around. YOU provide US with concrete evidence that MoS2 does NOT do what they say it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back